Post Reply
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View The Lord's Supper, Open or Closed Communion?
5 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2010 - 2:44PM #11
sincerly
Posts: 4,049

Feb 28, 2010 -- 12:57PM, mom-6 wrote:


The Lord's Supper/Communion is a remembrance, a ritual if you will, that has special significance to each believer.  At any given time that significance may be more or less vivid, more or less personal, more or less just a thing of habit than at other times. 



mom6, I want to make a few observations and comments concerning this subject and event using your post.


That "Remembrance" was initiated from the very "remembrance" that was being celebrated that night-----The Passover. (1Cor.5:6-8)  Christ being "our Passover".  And, yes, one was to "purge out the "leaven of sin" from their lives prior to partaking of the Passover. Paul (As Roodog stated) did declare it as "unworthy" to just attend to "eat and get drunk". That one didn't want the Spiritual significant "Remembrance", but the dietary benefits.


Jesus, also, instituted, as spudette mentioned, another Example given by Jesus which is very appropriate at the "Lord's Supper"/Communion. The Disciples had been "striving" with each other concerning who would be the "greatest in the kingdom".  That "leaven" had to be removed from the Disciples. Therefore, (John 13:14-15), "If I then, [your] Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.  For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you."


How can one have a right attitude concerning the ""Body and blood", if pride, envy, jealousy, etc. is in the heart and mind?  Also, NOW would be the start of the unto all the world and a "remembrance" of the "LOVE God with all your heart"(Deut.6:5) and "Love your neighbor as yourself". That "foot-washing example" would help one to remember that we are all "Neighbors." The Gospel can't spread if kept to ones-self. IT, the "EverLasting Gospel", is open to ALL.

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2010 - 2:43PM #12
davelaw40
Posts: 19,669

closed communion goes all the way back to the the early Church (2nd century) when the unBaptized were sent home-so the rest of the congregation could participate in the Rembrance Supper-thats where catholics get the word Mass it comes from old Latin Missa meaning dismissal from the early days of the Church

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2010 - 8:49PM #13
sincerly
Posts: 4,049

Mar 31, 2010 -- 2:43PM, davelaw40 wrote:


closed communion goes all the way back to the the early Church (2nd century) when the unBaptized were sent home-so the rest of the congregation could participate in the Rembrance Supper-thats where catholics get the word Mass it comes from old Latin Missa meaning dismissal from the early days of the Church





Hi Dave, From what I read in 1Cor. 11:20+ that was an open communion as evidenced by(1:10-11) . I have no doubt that the early church fathers did a lot of "changes". 


You are correct that "Missa" was "dismissal", but from what I see it was NOT a "dismissal" of unbaptized attendants, but the last part of the liturgical rites which dismissed the congregates.(Sent the people home). That in recent times has been changed to "mission" of the church.(Catholic){"In Christian usage, however, it gradually took on a deeper meaning. The word 'dismissal' has come to imply a 'mission'. These few words succinctly express the missionary nature of the Church" (Pope Benedict XVI, Sacramentum caritatis, 51)}


Hopefully I can get this P.S. in before any want to respond to it.  I n "Sabbath, Change of, Action of Council of Ladicea on [about A.D. 364]----Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday[Sabbath, original], but shall work on that day; but the Lord's day they shall especially honor, and, as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day. If, however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out from Christ".

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2010 - 10:43PM #14
davelaw40
Posts: 19,669

Apr 10, 2010 -- 8:49PM, sincerly wrote:


Mar 31, 2010 -- 2:43PM, davelaw40 wrote:


closed communion goes all the way back to the the early Church (2nd century) when the unBaptized were sent home-so the rest of the congregation could participate in the Rembrance Supper-thats where catholics get the word Mass it comes from old Latin Missa meaning dismissal from the early days of the Church





Hi Dave, From what I read in 1Cor. 11:20+ that was an open communion as evidenced by(1:10-11) . I have no doubt that the early church fathers did a lot of "changes". 


You are correct that "Missa" was "dismissal", but from what I see it was NOT a "dismissal" of unbaptized attendants, but the last part of the liturgical rites which dismissed the congregates.(Sent the people home). That in recent times has been changed to "mission" of the church.(Catholic){"In Christian usage, however, it gradually took on a deeper meaning. The word 'dismissal' has come to imply a 'mission'. These few words succinctly express the missionary nature of the Church" (Pope Benedict XVI, Sacramentum caritatis, 51)}


Hopefully I can get this P.S. in before any want to respond to it.  I n "Sabbath, Change of, Action of Council of Ladicea on [about A.D. 364]----Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday[Sabbath, original], but shall work on that day; but the Lord's day they shall especially honor, and, as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day. If, however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out from Christ".




 


thats the RCC reading back to explain what existed before them

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2010 - 10:51PM #15
davelaw40
Posts: 19,669

Apr 10, 2010 -- 8:49PM, sincerly wrote:


Mar 31, 2010 -- 2:43PM, davelaw40 wrote:


closed communion goes all the way back to the the early Church (2nd century) when the unBaptized were sent home-so the rest of the congregation could participate in the Rembrance Supper-thats where catholics get the word Mass it comes from old Latin Missa meaning dismissal from the early days of the Church





Hi Dave, From what I read in 1Cor. 11:20+ that was an open communion as evidenced by(1:10-11) . I have no doubt that the early church fathers did a lot of "changes". 


 




Paul was criticizing the excesses of the AGAPE feast hence the origin of closed communion also see the DIDACHE which limits communion to the Baptized

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2010 - 2:42PM #16
sincerly
Posts: 4,049

Apr 11, 2010 -- 10:43PM, davelaw40 wrote:


Apr 10, 2010 -- 8:49PM, sincerly wrote:

Hi Dave, From what I read in 1Cor. 11:20+ that was an open communion as evidenced by(1:10-11) . I have no doubt that the early church fathers did a lot of "changes". 


You are correct that "Missa" was "dismissal", but from what I see it was NOT a "dismissal" of unbaptized attendants, but the last part of the liturgical rites which dismissed the congregates.(Sent the people home). That in recent times has been changed to "mission" of the church.(Catholic){"In Christian usage, however, it gradually took on a deeper meaning. The word 'dismissal' has come to imply a 'mission'. These few words succinctly express the missionary nature of the Church" (Pope Benedict XVI, Sacramentum caritatis, 51)}


Hopefully I can get this P.S. in before any want to respond to it.  I n "Sabbath, Change of, Action of Council of Ladicea on [about A.D. 364]----Christians shall not Judaize and be idle on Saturday[Sabbath, original], but shall work on that day; but the Lord's day they shall especially honor, and, as being Christians, shall, if possible, do no work on that day. If, however, they are found Judaizing, they shall be shut out from Christ". 



 thats the RCC reading back to explain what existed before them





However, 1 Cor. 11:20+ precedes that "RCC reading back" and continues to be more in line with """the early church fathers did a lot of "changes". """


Apr 11, 2010 -- 10:43PM, davelaw40 wrote:

  Paul was criticizing the excesses of the AGAPE feast hence the origin of closed communion also see the DIDACHE which limits communion to the Baptized.



Dave, the letter to the Corinthians was written by Paul. The spurious Didache's writer(s) are questionable. I'll take Paul's "open Communion".    The early church fathers  used """" 
 they shall be shut out from Christ"""" as a controlling method to enforce their unscriptural changes. Paul had written: 2 Thess. 2:3-4, before the didache as well. "Let no man deceive you by any means: for [that day shall not come], except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God." And that "Power" would exist until Christ Comes.

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2010 - 9:43PM #17
davelaw40
Posts: 19,669

Paul's version of open communion was to WARN that the unworthy will get Sick or Die-when is the last time you heard that preceding open communion?

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2010 - 6:00PM #18
sincerly
Posts: 4,049

Apr 12, 2010 -- 9:43PM, davelaw40 wrote:


Paul's version of open communion was to WARN that the unworthy will get Sick or Die-when is the last time you heard that preceding open communion?





 Sorry, Dave, but that exposition of the Communion service  was started in chapter 10 and gave multiple facets concerning it. The significance of it and how it was being desecrated.  Therefore, that you write wasn't a warning, but a fact.  It is still a fact that "Gluttony and drunkenness" can lead to physical problems.  And when added to the solemn "feast of Communion", God can certainly add HIS Punishment for doing so "unworthily".


It was still an open Communion.

Peace,   Sincerly.      As long as sin is practiced, one will search for a means to validate the continuing therein. ANON

The greatest want of the world is the want of men--men who will not be bought or sold, men who in their inmost souls are true and honest, men who do not fear to call sin by its right name, men whose conscience is as true to duty as the needle to the pole, men who will stand for the right though the heavens fall.---- ANON  (Ellen G. White. 1882)
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2010 - 12:58PM #19
Sisterintruth
Posts: 37

It should be closed to baptized members only. Visitors can look on, but need to be baptized in the church or be a part of that church to partake.My congregation (not baptist) has closed communion & until I become a member I do not partake in it. I use to be baptist,but God called me elsewhere,& I follow my husband a non-baptist. I still visit an IFB during the week time 2 time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2010 - 10:21PM #20
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Jun 5, 2010 -- 12:58PM, Sisterintruth wrote:


It should be closed to baptized members only. Visitors can look on, but need to be baptized in the church or be a part of that church to partake.My congregation (not baptist) has closed communion & until I become a member I do not partake in it. I use to be baptist,but God called me elsewhere,& I follow my husband a non-baptist. I still visit an IFB during the week time 2 time.





While the Lord's Table is for believers only. Open Communion means it is for ALL believers whether or not they belong to that particular congregation. My church invites all who have recieved Christ as Lord and Savior to paricipate. One does not have to be a Baptist to participate.


Closed Communion, as it is praticed in Roman Catholicism, infers that the Community of Faith is limited to the denomination or even the particular congregation. I find that to be intolerable.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook