Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

8 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2009 - 2:01PM #1
UU_Nirvana

I have read a tiny bit on Christian Science and I find it very interesting and it seems to make a lot of sence. I was thinking about ordering the book Science and health with key to the sciptures (I think thats what its called) and I was wondering if it teaches the churches beliefs and stuff in it or if not what is it then? I was also wondering what the churches views are on homosexuality? If someone is sick with cancer or something along those lines are they looked down upon if they go to the doctor? What are ur beliefs when it comes to physical death? Is it looked at as somehting natural or something that doesnt have to happen? What are your views on Jesus Christ and his death on the cross? Is Marry Baker Eddy looked at as a prophet?  Ok...i think Ill stop for now until I get these questions answered. Thank you very much for your time. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 6:23PM #2
solfeggio

I was raised CS but got out after I became a university student and smartened up about what this wretched religion really is.  I've been agnostic for the past forty years and have no use for any religion.  But the bottom line here is that CS is a dangerous cult started a hundred years ago by a decidedly strange woman.  Mary Baker Eddy was a serious nutcase who gave away her son, had several disastrous marriages, and who actually thought she wouldn't die but would ascend into heaven like Jesus.

The reason the religion is very dangerous to follow  is because CSers don't believe in going to doctors or taking medicine.  The repercussions of this sort of twisted thinking can be tremendous, leading to children dying of treatable diseases because their parents won't take them to the doctor when they're sick, and adults dying after auto accidents because they thought they were all right when in fact they had internal injuries that would have been discovered it they'd gone to a hospital.

In any case, the philosophy is that evil, or 'error', is not real and therefore you're not really sick or injured, and once you realise this your troubles are over and you'll get well.  Of course, it doesn't actually work that way in real life.  If you've got a headache, all the wishful thinking in the world won't change that fact.  You'd do much better to just take the aspirin and get on with things.  That's no big deal.  But, if you've got cancer, and you try to treat it with prayer, you'll die from it.

And, believe me, that sort of thing happens regularly to CSers. 

Best thing for anybody who is even just thinking about learning more about CS or going to a CS church is to JUST SAY NO!

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2009 - 1:53PM #3
BigRaff

Check out Spirituality.com. It has a lot of useful information.

Everyone is at a different stage of growth spiritually. I don't think that one is expected to accept more than what they have an understanding for. It is not based on blind belief but on understanding.

I am not officially a Christian Scientist, but I do study it. A demonstration I had was an instant disappearance of a growth on the back of my ear. I was praying and it just dissolved.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2009 - 3:52AM #4
UU_Nirvana

Thank you guys for your comments. I have not read much on this church but the little I have read I found interesting. I wasn't thinking about joining or anything, I just have a deep passion for reading about different religions, cults and sects. I find that very sad to hear about people in any religion having such blind faith though. Faith and prayer are great but I guess I feel god has blessed us with doctors for a reason.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2009 - 11:31PM #5
Messiahobama

Christian Scientists help reduce the rising costs of health care in the United States.  If everyone were a Christian Scientist, there would be no budget problems for health care.

When Health care reform passes, a mandate will require that everyone will buy health insurance, or be fined.    What do Christian Scientists think of that?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2009 - 1:44PM #6
ctcss

Universal health insurance is not a huge deal as long as it is fairly administered. I believe that Christian Scientists discussed Medicaid coverage with Congress when it was first being put together. There was an option to ask for exemption for Scientists (they wouldn't pay into the fund), or, if inclusion was mandatory, what benefits would be available to Scientists through the program. I think that the final result was that Scientists would pay into the fund, and that the benefits available would apply to nursing care. (Scientists have state-certified non-medical nursing facilities available for use while working out a physical challenge through prayer. They also have access to home visits by non-medical nursing staff.)

Christian Science treatment is accomplished through prayer alone, whether through a Scientist's own efforts or assisted by a Christian Science practitioner. However, sometime practical sickroom needs have to be provided for, thus the availability of nursing care. Although it would seem to make sense for Medicaid payment to be made to Christian Science practitioners (acting, in some general sense, in the role of physician for the Scientist), I believe Congress felt that payment for treatment through prayer might be considered to be too close to government sponsorship of religion. Thus they took the less controversial course of limiting payments to services rendered through practical nursing care.

That said, a number of insurance firms make payments for Christian Science treatment to Christian Science practitioners who are listed in the Christian Science Journal. Among other reasons for them doing so, it's probably far less expensive for the firms to do this than medical payment reimbursement would be. (I am amazed at how costly emergency room treament, hospital care, and prescription drugs can be!)

If mandatory universal insurance simply means that Scientists can have CS treatment (not just nursing care) paid for by an insurer, that might be an even better situation than what is currently available now through a governement run program. (On the other hand, if Scientists are doing their job as Scientists, maybe they won't need to ask for reimbursement after all!)

It should be noted that the Church in no way forces its members to use Christian Sceince treatment. Thus, insurance could also be used by Scientists who desire to pursue treatment through medical care.

Does that help answer the question?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2009 - 3:03PM #7
ctcss

UU_Nirvana

"I find that very sad to hear about people in any religion having such blind faith though."

You might find it interesting to read some testimonies in the bound volumes section of a Christian Science Reading Room. Scientists have been practicing treatment through prayer for over 100 years. (The first Journal was published in 1883.) Our record of healing success is certainly not perfect, but as a life-long Scientist I can assure you, CS practice has nothing to do with blind faith. Rather, it has far more to do with a reasoned, understood, and practical approach to faith.

I grew up in an area surrounded by Methodists, Catholics, Jews, and Lutherans. My friends at school, coming from these traditions, all used medical treatment for their health needs. I can honestly tell you, I did not feel at all deprived when I compared their health experiences to mine.

People use what they find to be safe and practical. My dad, who was not a Scientist, only asked one thing of my mom: that she made sure that the children's health needs were taken care of. If there was ever a need that was not being practically met through Science, he wanted her to take us to the doctor.

She never had to do that. In fact, my dad was quite willing to ask for CS treatment for himself because he saw it's effectiveness on us.

I am a 3rd generation Scientist and my wife is a 5th generation Scientist.  People, indeed, have walked away from Science for any number of reasons. But those of us who have stayed, did it because we have found it to be very useful and safe, not because we were incapable of rational thinking about the matter.

If you do decide to look into CS further, I hope you have a chance to take a fair look at all sides of the picture.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook