Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View We may have lost Fr. Cutie, but we're gaining
6 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2009 - 11:11AM #1
Shaner

an Episcopalian Convent as well as a Priest, who's decided to cross the Tiber.  All,  but for a couple of sisters,  have decided to come into full Communion with the RC Church in September of this year.  They have a very large and beautiful Convent, I pray they don't lose it. 

In all the Articles I read about it this morning, they really don't state why they've decided to switch to Catholicism in communion with the Holy See.  ?? 

Here's the link, I hope it works.....I've been having tech problems lately posting links....  www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2009/06/an...

This is far from being a 'gloating' post, I mean no disrespect to our Anglican/Episcopalian brothers and sisters, I just found it to be a good human interest article! 

Any thoughts?

Peace, Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 11:14AM #2
Annie68

Jun 16, 2009 -- 11:11AM, Shaner wrote:

an Episcopalian Convent as well as a Priest, who's decided to cross the Tiber.  All,  but for a couple of sisters,  have decided to come into full Communion with the RC Church in September of this year.  They have a very large and beautiful Convent, I pray they don't lose it. 

In all the Articles I read about it this morning, they really don't state why they've decided to switch to Catholicism in communion with the Holy See.  ?? 

Here's the link, I hope it works.....I've been having tech problems lately posting links....  www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2009/06/an...

This is far from being a 'gloating' post, I mean no disrespect to our Anglican/Episcopalian brothers and sisters, I just found it to be a good human interest article! 

Any thoughts?

Peace, Sandy

really, you couldhave fooled me. cuz of the pattern of your posts lately. (a lurke. i keep up) seems like it's all about "who's winning". a numbers game. is that what is importnat? quantity?  (nanny, nanny, boo, boo say the kids on the playground )a canadain, blissfully overlooking the realities in the states. i don't know diddlysquat about the rc in canada, so will say nothing about that.

in the states the church is sick. it's holding onto numbers only cuz of the massive immigrations from latin america and mexico for the last 20 or 30 years.  there is a % decline in terms of the part of u.s. popoulation. the second largest religious group in the u.s. according to gallup and other  reputble polls is "former catholic" - about 30 million people. if numbers are all that's important to you, then you can pretend whatever you want about the true state of the american church, which is heading the same way as europe.

will this trend stop? beats me. this week's america has an intersting article that goes a long way towards forecasting what might happen tho.

www.americamagazine.org/content/article....

read the comments - both sides - shows exactly what the article is talking about.

so, if you're just interested in numbers, how about these. during the last 30 years or so, about 75-100 episcopal priests and protestant ministers have joined up in the rc and become ordained. total - over decades.

about 50 rc priests, less newsworthy that fr. cutie (i hope all wish him many blessings on his recent marriage),  join the episcopal church every  year, and many seek ordination.  the priest who did my own marriage prep when my husband and i were engaged, left the rc, became a priest in the ec, and got married. ya'll never heard of him of course cuz he wasn't a media star. just one of the thousands rc priests who have  left the rc in the states, or at least the priesthood.  some don't leave the rc. most don't become priests elsewhere. but the rc church in the us is falling apart at the seams. without the active laity and women running the show, there would be no active rc in the states anymore. there is at least one bishop in the ec who is a former rc priest, and the head honcho bishop in the u.s. - a woman (maybe some need to cover their eyes at this horror - only mature christians are ready for that "x-rated" (so to speak) idea - was baptized catholic originally.

if you want to make a numbers game out of it, suggest you wander over to the anglican boards and ask dutch about it (he was either once an rc priest or a seminarian, not sure) for the stats. he's got them all at his fingertips.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 2:00PM #3
malanga

so, if you're just interested in numbers, how about these. during the last 30 years or so, about 75-100 episcopal priests and protestant ministers have joined up in the rc and become ordained. total - over decades.

about 50 rc priests, less newsworthy that fr. cutie (i hope all wish him many blessings on his recent marriage),  join the episcopal church every  year, and many seek ordination.  the priest who did my own marriage prep when my husband and i were engaged, left the rc, became a priest in the ec, and got married. ya'll never heard of him of course cuz he wasn't a media star. just one of the thousands rc priests who have  left the rc in the states, or at least the priesthood.  some don't leave the rc. most don't become priests elsewhere. but the rc church in the us is falling apart at the seams. without the active laity and women running the show, there would be no active rc in the states anymore. there is at least one bishop in the ec who is a former rc priest, and the head honcho bishop in the u.s. - a woman (maybe some need to cover their eyes at this horror - only mature christians are ready for that "x-rated" (so to speak) idea - was baptized catholic originally.

if you want to make a numbers game out of it, suggest you wander over to the anglican boards and ask dutch about it (he was either once an rc priest or a seminarian, not sure) for the stats. he's got them all at his fingertips.

It never ceases to amaze me how much animosity the Church receives from Episcopalians.  Seems like any fault they find in the Catholic Church gets gleefully magnified into some crisis.  I used to post frequently on the Anglican/Episcopal board here on Beliefnet, but I got sick and tired of all the complaints about the Catholic Church I simply gave up and rarely post there anymore (yes, I do know Dutch77, a very nice guy and well liked, although he does have issues with the Catholic church).  Lets get something straight; Catholics are not concerned about what Episcopalians think of the Church. Your thoughts are just not important to us.  We have our own issues and problems, and finger-wagging from  Episcopalian and other denominations isn't worth our time.  You would be hard pressed to find someone saying a bad word about Episcopalians on the Catholic board (I've never seen one) but you can't go More than a day without finding some anti-Catholic statement on the Episcopalian boards.  I have no enmity towards the Anglican/Episcopalian church; quite the opposite really.  If you don't believe me ask Joantreese,  Brother John or any of the 30 or so people on the Episcopalian board I gave Anglican rosaries to free of charge that I made myself.  I did that out of ecumenical unity, not because I thought one church is better than another.  If the Episcopalian church is where you feel it best to express your spirituality in, then God bless you for finding the right home for yourself.  I read Shaner's post and I don't believe she was "gloating" but just pointing out how Cutie got all the fanfare, while these Sisters didn't.  The Catholic church did not hold a press conference, now did they?  Better we focus on correcting our own sins than to look for them in others.  Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 2:03PM #4
jane2

Jun 17, 2009 -- 11:14AM, Annie68 wrote:

Jun 16, 2009 -- 11:11AM, Shaner wrote:

Any thoughts?

Peace, Sandy

really, you couldhave fooled me. cuz of the pattern of your posts lately. (a lurke. i keep up) seems like it's all about "who's winning". a numbers game. is that what is importnat? quantity?  (nanny, nanny, boo, boo say the kids on the playground )a canadain, blissfully overlooking the realities in the states. i don't know diddlysquat about the rc in canada, so will say nothing about that.

in the states the church is sick. it's holding onto numbers only cuz of the massive immigrations from latin america and mexico for the last 20 or 30 years.  there is a % decline in terms of the part of u.s. popoulation. the second largest religious group in the u.s. according to gallup and other  reputble polls is "former catholic" - about 30 million people. if numbers are all that's important to you, then you can pretend whatever you want about the true state of the american church, which is heading the same way as europe.

will this trend stop? beats me. this week's america has an intersting article that goes a long way towards forecasting what might happen tho.

www.americamagazine.org/content/article....

read the comments - both sides - shows exactly what the article is talking about.

about 50 rc priests, less newsworthy that fr. cutie (i hope all wish him many blessings on his recent marriage),  join the episcopal church every  year, and many seek ordination.  the priest who did my own marriage prep when my husband and i were engaged, left the rc, became a priest in the ec, and got married. ya'll never heard of him of course cuz he wasn't a media star. just one of the tens of thousands rc priests who have  left the rc in the states.  many don't leave the rc. most don't become priests elsewhere. but the rc church in the us is falling apart at the seams. without the active laity and women running the show, there would be no active rc in the states anymore. there is at least one bishop in the ec who is a former rc priest, and the head honcho bishop in the u.s. - a woman (maybe some need to cover their eyes at this horror - only mature christians are ready for that "x-rated" (so to speak) idea - was baptized catholic originally.

Annie

I'm with you about the "numbers" game. Europe is gone and 30 million American Catholics are gone, too--although many are still counted as in by dioceses and parishes because they are still on the books.

A friend of mine who has an Hispanic d-i-l told me that the family of her d-i-l, three generations listen regularly to the broadcasts of Fr. Cutie. And this d-i-l and my friend's son are now evangelicals. Count Catholics in this country at your own peril!!Wink

The Church still believes it can control--it can't. In Europe and the English-speaking countries the educated laity will think for itself. Same news from Asia.

The Pew Research does seem to be reliable within the +/- parameters.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 4:52PM #5
Annie68

Jun 17, 2009 -- 2:00PM, malanga wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how much animosity the Church receives from Episcopalians.  Seems like any fault they find in the Catholic Church gets gleefully magnified into some crisis.  I used to post frequently on the Anglican/Episcopal board here on Beliefnet, but I got sick and tired of all the complaints about the Catholic Church I simply gave up and rarely post there anymore (yes, I do know Dutch77, a very nice guy and well liked, although he does have issues with the Catholic church).  Lets get something straight; Catholics are not concerned about what Episcopalians think of the Church. Your thoughts are just not important to us.  We have our own issues and problems, and finger-wagging from  Episcopalian and other denominations isn't worth our time.  You would be hard pressed to find someone saying a bad word about Episcopalians on the Catholic board (I've never seen one) but you can't go More than a day without finding some anti-Catholic statement on the Episcopalian boards.  I have no enmity towards the Anglican/Episcopalian church; quite the opposite really.  If you don't believe me ask Joantreese,  Brother John or any of the 30 or so people on the Episcopalian board I gave Anglican rosaries to free of charge that I made myself.  I did that out of ecumenical unity, not because I thought one church is better than another.  If the Episcopalian church is where you feel it best to express your spirituality in, then God bless you for finding the right home for yourself.  I read Shaner's post and I don't believe she was "gloating" but just pointing out how Cutie got all the fanfare, while these Sisters didn't.  The Catholic church did not hold a press conference, now did they?  Better we focus on correcting our own sins than to look for them in others.  Peace.

mmmm. hate to break it to you, lady, cuz it might deflate your little speech a bit to know this, but i'm not episocpalian.  i'm catholic. always have been and probably always will be - one of the last of the dying breed of vat ii catholics, going down with the ship.

i visit the anglican boards. just like you do.

but you know what, the writer of the op seems to have this thing about the numbers game. just look at the title of the thread - like it's some kind of contest! that's her doing, not mine.

and i'm not sure why you think that providing a little info on the numbers record is some kind of attack on the rc anyway.  why did she think it so important to start a thread cuz one ec priest in canada and a handful of nuns decided to join up with rome?  is that an attack on the ec? if that's a big deal, then maybe it's a bigger deal that the flow the opposite direction is even bigger.  does that mean much?  not really, cuz the rc is way bigger than the ec to begin with. so you'd really have to do %.  of course, the ec has a surplus of priests and the rc doesn't have enough, so even %s might be misleading. but she's the one who made a big fuss over it, so figured that maybe she'd just love to know ALL the numbers (ha, ha).   why you think that me quoting numbers is an attack on the rc  (and making a wild assumption that just cuz i did i am an episcopalian) but her quoting numbers about a priest and nuns leaving the ec is not any kind of gloating makes me wonder about you. hey, she's even the one who used the word. maybe cuz she suspected how it might come across?

cutie got alot of fanfare because he was a media type for the rcc, an ewtn star, etc etc. the anglican nuns aren't media stars anywhere.  just like the priest who did our marriage prep years ago - he didn't make headlines when he left the rc and joined the episcopalians and became a priest there and got married.  and the other 50/year rc priests who jump the roman ship for canterbury don't make headlines either.

but some folk here seem to have a fixation on numbers. this isn't the first.

just adding to the numbers.  and if you have a problem with that, it's your problem.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 8:39PM #6
malanga

mmmm. hate to break it to you, lady, cuz it might deflate your little speech a bit to know this, but i'm not episocpalian.  i'm catholic. always have been and probably always will be - one of the last of the dying breed of vat ii catholics, going down with the ship.

And I hate to break it to you, cuz it might deflate your little soapbox rant, but I'm a man not a lady.  I could provide references and photos for you if you'd like.

just adding to the numbers.  and if you have a problem with that, it's your problem.

The only one who seems to have problem is you, at least with gender distinction.  Welcome to the Ave Maria Cafe by the way.  Peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 8:48PM #7
jane2

It never ceases to amaze me how much animosity the Church receives from Episcopalians.  Seems like any fault they find in the Catholic Church gets gleefully magnified into some crisis.  I used to post frequently on the Anglican/Episcopal board here on Beliefnet, but I got sick and tired of all the complaints about the Catholic Church I simply gave up and rarely post there anymore (yes, I do know Dutch77, a very nice guy and well liked, although he does have issues with the Catholic church).  Lets get something straight; Catholics are not concerned about what Episcopalians think of the Church. Your thoughts are just not important to us.  We have our own issues and problems, and finger-wagging from Episcopalian and other denominations isn't worth our time.  You would be hard pressed to find someone saying a bad word about Episcopalians on the Catholic board (I've never seen one) but you can't go More than a day without finding some anti-Catholic statement on the Episcopalian boards.  I have no enmity towards the Anglican/Episcopalian church; quite the opposite really.  If you don't believe me ask Joantreese,  Brother John or any of the 30 or so people on the Episcopalian board I gave Anglican rosaries to free of charge that I made myself.  I did that out of ecumenical unity, not because I thought one church is better than another.  If the Episcopalian church is where you feel it best to express your spirituality in, then God bless you for finding the right home for yourself.  I read Shaner's post and I don't believe she was "gloating" but just pointing out how Cutie got all the fanfare, while these Sisters didn't.  The Catholic church did not hold a press conference, now did they?  Better we focus on correcting our own sins than to look for them in others.  Peace.

Ther Anglican/Episcopal Church and their board here hold no interest for me. At one time in some places the Episcopal Churc h in the US was the eilte denomination. That has not been true for decades.

Sometime back some issue was raised on this board and at least one Episcopal religious who posts there made very derogatory remarks about the Catholic Church on this board. The moderator of their board apologized on this board.

I wish all in their faith well, but I don't think it is superior.

For me the biggest problem for the Church in the US is the defection of so many it educated so well and the disdain of Rome for our theologians and us. I am one of those. The intellectual Catholic Church in the US is not Episcopalian. The dismissal of Thomas Reese, SJ, as editor of AMERICA was close to a final straw for me. Of course, Father Reese, whose PhD. is in political science knows too much about how Church politics work. I wasn't educated by Jesuits but I was by CSJs with their PhDs from fine American and European universities: in the fifties these were brillaint women, already attuned to the coming changes of Vatican II.

My parents gave much of what they had to educate three daughters in a private Catholic high school for the gifted and at private Catholic colleges for women--the norm then. As I have mentioned my father's family helped build that high school: the older religious sisters who taught there knew my dad and his brothers and sisters.

The Catholic Church in this country has a broad history, with many ins and outs: a history of immigrants poor and not so poor. But most of us are American with all that culture implies. We threw off Europe, beginning with the English, early on.

I welcome all who come here from all nations. Today, at my small, local supermarket I greeted my bagger, Antoine, in French because others in past did so. When I asked if he was from New Orleans, he said no: Ghana. My French is very truncated so we just exhange pleasantries en francais (sp?).

Malanga

I do know Puerto Rico is a protectorate or territory of th US, not a foreign country. Because of some distinction it is not able to become a state, if the people there would like it to be.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2009 - 9:15AM #8
Annie68

Jun 17, 2009 -- 8:39PM, malanga wrote:

And I hate to break it to you, cuz it might deflate your little soapbox rant, but I'm a man not a lady.  I could provide references and photos for you if you'd like.

The only one who seems to have problem is you, at least with gender distinction.  Welcome to the Ave Maria Cafe by the way.  Peace.

LOL!  and your premptive grenade launch at me based on your own problem with religious affiliation distinction doesn't show a problem with leaping to conclusions?

for the record, after your anti-episcopal rant here directed at me, something jogged the old brain cells about your name and avatar.  i remembered after a whle that you posted over on the anglican board a while back. not too long ago. not quite friendly posts either. they dealt with the cute priests defection. 

ok, we're square, so to speak.  you made an assumption that someone must be some kind of EC attack dog (like they're the enemy) just cuz she thinks it's truly dumb to be pollyanna and not face up to the truth of what is happening in the church here.  the ship is sinking titanic style, while the band stands on the deck playing on . didn't save the titanic. not going to save the church in america either.   i didn't c omment about canada cuz, as i said before, i know zilch about the church there besides their  sexual abuse scandals. proportionate to the population in canada.

and i made the (wrong) assumption about you   cuz i've never met  anyone who made rosaries who isn't female.

thanks for the sincere welcome.  peace to you too.

Moderated by Shaner on Jun 19, 2009 - 10:15AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2009 - 9:24AM #9
Annie68

Jun 17, 2009 -- 8:48PM, jane2 wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how much animosity the Church receives from Episcopalians.  Seems like any fault they find in the Catholic Church gets gleefully magnified into some crisis.  I used to post frequently on the Anglican/Episcopal board here on Beliefnet, but I got sick and tired of all the complaints about the Catholic Church I simply gave up and rarely post there anymore (yes, I do know Dutch77, a very nice guy and well liked, although he does have issues with the Catholic church).  Lets get something straight; Catholics are not concerned about what Episcopalians think of the Church. Your thoughts are just not important to us.  We have our own issues and problems, and finger-wagging from Episcopalian and other denominations isn't worth our time.  You would be hard pressed to find someone saying a bad word about Episcopalians on the Catholic board (I've never seen one) but you can't go More than a day without finding some anti-Catholic statement on the Episcopalian boards.  I have no enmity towards the Anglican/Episcopalian church; quite the opposite really.  If you don't believe me ask Joantreese,  Brother John or any of the 30 or so people on the Episcopalian board I gave Anglican rosaries to free of charge that I made myself.  I did that out of ecumenical unity, not because I thought one church is better than another.  If the Episcopalian church is where you feel it best to express your spirituality in, then God bless you for finding the right home for yourself.  I read Shaner's post and I don't believe she was "gloating" but just pointing out how Cutie got all the fanfare, while these Sisters didn't.  The Catholic church did not hold a press conference, now did they?  Better we focus on correcting our own sins than to look for them in others.  Peace.

Ther Anglican/Episcopal Church and their board here hold no interest for me. At one time in some places the Episcopal Churc h in the US was the eilte denomination. That has not been true for decades.

Sometime back some issue was raised on this board and at least one Episcopal religious who posts there made very derogatory remarks about the Catholic Church on this board. The moderator of their board apologized on this board.

I wish all in their faith well, but I don't think it is superior.

For me the biggest problem for the Church in the US is the defection of so many it educated so well and the disdain of Rome for our theologians and us. I am one of those. The intellectual Catholic Church in the US is not Episcopalian. The dismissal of Thomas Reese, SJ, as editor of AMERICA was close to a final straw for me. Of course, Father Reese, whose PhD. is in political science knows too much about how Church politics work. I wasn't educated by Jesuits but I was by CSJs with their PhDs from fine American and European universities: in the fifties these were brillaint women, already attuned to the coming changes of Vatican II.

My parents gave much of what they had to educate three daughters in a private Catholic high school for the gifted and at private Catholic colleges for women--the norm then. As I have mentioned my father's family helped build that high school: the older religious sisters who taught there knew my dad and his brothers and sisters.

The Catholic Church in this country has a broad history, with many ins and outs: a history of immigrants poor and not so poor. But most of us are American with all that culture implies. We threw off Europe, beginning with the English, early on.

I welcome all who come here from all nations. Today, at my small, local supermarket I greeted my bagger, Antoine, in French because others in past did so. When I asked if he was from New Orleans, he said no: Ghana. My French is very truncated so we just exhange pleasantries en francais (sp?).

Malanga

I do know Puerto Rico is a protectorate or territory of th US, not a foreign country. Because of some distinction it is not able to become a state, if the people there would like it to be.

hi, jane.  numbers aren't important except when they are on a thermometer. the american church has a high fever.  instead of ignoring it, someone should figure out why it's sick and try to do something about it before the death rattle.. the church in the u.s. lost more priests, more nuns, and more plain old everyday pew-sitting catholics during the reign of the late pope than anytime in history.  the longer he was pope. the more people headed for the exits.  the new pope seems to think that more of the same will turn the tide.  not too bright for someone who is as book smart as he is. no street smarts though.

not sure of this, but think that periodically puerto ricans are given a chance to vote on seeking statehood.  also given the choice to vote for indpenednet nation status.  every time they vote to remain a territory.  could look it up i suppose when i have time.

gotta go.  back to lurking!

;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2009 - 9:32AM #10
cove52

Annie,

You have alot of intelligent things to say but your opening paragraph and attack on Shaner makes me wonder.  Seems a bit childish for an "intellectual".  I left the CD board (formerly Debate board) because of this type of posting. You seem to have a "fixation" on Shaner.  Whatever, she is a big girl and can respond to you if she wishes.

An entire Episcopal parish in the Dallas area along with their priest converted to Catholicism about 15 years ago.  I only know this because I lived in the area and the priest along with his wife and family were welcomed into my parish.  I really didn't think much of it except that I was surprised anyone would "choose" to be Catholic.  Always seemed to me that everyone was leaving or just giving up on organized religion all together.

I now live in Florida.  Several parishoners I have known over the years have jumped ship for the much more flashy modern non-denom Church down the road (after their kids received their Sacraments).  If that helps them spiritually, I say all the power to them.  I really don't care.  I am not counting the people in the pews.  The pews look full to me.  I facilitate the Baptismal program and we have so many families bringifng their children to be baptized. I really can't see much of a decline even if many of those parents don't step foot in church again after the baptism. The door works both ways.  Many of the adults I meet are just returning after many years away. (shrug)

I think God gave me the Bishop we have to test my faith, lol. 

God doesn't care about #s of people in the pews.  But, the media seems to think it is important and for the sake of discussion is brought up here.  An interesting talking point but certainly not impotant info for our daily spiritual lives. 

btw--Welcome to the board.

"I yam what I yam and I yam what I yam that I yam / And I got a lotta muscle and I only gots one eye / And I'll never hurt nobodys and I'll never tell a lie / Top to me bottom and me bottom to me top / That's the way it is 'til the day that I drop, what am I? / I yam what I yam."
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook