5 years ago  ::  May 29, 2009 - 7:28PM #1
klm

Is oriental orthodox    Christian or Jewish?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 31, 2009 - 11:19PM #2
j_Rob

It is Christian.  The Oriental Orthodox churches split from the Eastern Orthodox churches after the Third Ecumenical Council.  The split was prefaced by misunderstandings over the council's descriptions of the nature of Christ (monophysitism vs. miaphysitism, etc.).  Don't ask me to get into technicalities, but suffice it to say that the two sides were pretty much on the same page and were just using different terminology; t his is starting to be realized now, and the two groups are making strides toward reconciliation and communion with each other.

The following churches are Oriental Orthodox:

-Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

-Ethiopian Orthodox (Tewahedo) Church (largest by far)

-Eritrean Orthodox (Tewahedo) Church

-British Orthodox Church (within Coptic Church)

-Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch

-Armenian Apostolic Church

-Indian Syriac (Malankara) Church

-Malabar Syriac Church (India) (aka Malankara Mar Thoma Church or St. Thomas Christians)

Additionally, the Assyrian Church of the East is sometimes classified as Oriental Orthodox, but it has some distinguishing theological attributes that set it apart.

Oriental Orthodoxy has a small-but-growing presence in the US, fueled primarily by immigration.  While Eastern Orthodox (like me) in America have grown well beyond its ethnic roots, Oriental Orthodox churches in America, as I understand it, are very much ethnically based.

j_Rob

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 7:27PM #3
klm

see I learn something everyday.   I always thought the churches you list were eastern.  thanks....

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook