6 years ago  ::  May 27, 2009 - 5:48PM #1
DeweyCMH

a general population who has little or no understanding of sin, and that they are separated from God as a result of it? How do you reach those people (the majority of American culture) with the gospel? Do you first impress upon them what sin is, and that they're sinners, and through understanding sin they come to understand a relationship with God -  or, do you first teach them about God, and how wonderful a relationship with God is, and what that entails, and in that process they come to understand what sin is?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 30, 2009 - 12:29PM #2
greenponder

RBC Ministeries publishes a booklet "How Can I Share My Faith Without an Argument." Which gives a method of sharing the gospel in a non threatening way. It starts out by asking someone if they have any spiritual beliefs and works its way through the gospel by letting the Bible speak for itself. The reality of sin in presented but not in a "Repent, the end is near" manner.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2009 - 5:17PM #3
sterrettc

I am not convinced that many people lack the concept of sin. Rather they fail to associate the word sin with it.  They associate sin only with the dogmatic rhetoric that they have heard from judgemental people and not with the shortcomings and guilt that they themselves have experienced.  I would say, talk about feelings of guilt due to unfaithfullness (not necessarily sexual), and the good news that there is forgiveness.  We all have been unfaithful to someone in our past, and we all have suffered under our concience because of it.  We all are in need of forgiveness.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 05, 2009 - 12:28AM #4
spudette

In my experience, it is pretty hard to reach someone who isn't aware of some spiritual need in his/her life. I would say, first become the person's friend, don't even start to talk about spiritual things yet. If you really bear the fruits of the spirit, it will show, and the person will see that you have something he/she would like to have. This may take quite some time, but we need to be patient. then, when the person starts to ask questions, tell what God has done for you. And remember,  your job is to sow the seeds. You don't do the convincing. The Holy Spirit does that.

And, definitely, it is not a good idea to talk about sin right away. It is most important to show God's love before telling people about sin, because unless they can see God as a loving Father, why would they want to come to Him with their problems?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook