Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

9 years ago  ::  May 07, 2009 - 8:59PM #1
Wayne D

Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone would like to talk about which version of the bible they prefer and why.  I have found the NKJV and NASB very good, but I also like the old 1901 ASV.  Another translation that is attracted lots of attention is the ESV.  What do you guys think?

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 08, 2009 - 12:47AM #2
Bakedalaska

I use the old King James Version and love the poetry of it.   It's much more beautiful than other versions I have seen.  But the new King James Version is still accurate as far as I can tell.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 08, 2009 - 12:54AM #3
Wayne D

Thanks for the reply.  I was raised on the KJV and do have a lot of respect for it.  Have you ever read the ASV?  It uses the old English just as the KJV, but takes care of the few errors that are in the KJV.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 08, 2009 - 3:24PM #4
Campbellite

You are aware, of course,  that the KJV is not the same as the one published in 1611. It has been revised and edited repeatedly over the last 400 years. What we now call the KJV is in fact the "Authorised Version" (AV) published jointly by the American Bible Society and the British Bible Society back in (IIRC) 1880. There are two versions of it, in fact, as the Americans and the British could not decide on how to spell "colour" and "behaviour" among other things. The American version was dubbed the ASV.

In the 1930's Biblical scholars saw that even that revision left a few things to be desired in its accuracy, so they began the process of making revisions based on the best texts of the originals then available. The result was the RSV: the Revised Standard Version. This was the most accurate translation of the day (1950s). Unfortunately, it was released right about the time that the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered, which meant that there were now available even older and more accurate original texts. The good news is that when they compared the Dead Sea Scrolls with what they already had, they found that the later texts had, in fact, been far more accurate than they had dared hope. It seems the ancient church had managed to preserve the original words quite well.

What new things the Dead Sea Scrolls revealed were incorporated in the work of the scholars who saw that the RSV, while accurate, used a lot of words that were no longer current. This re-working of the translation became the New Revised Standard Version - NRSV. This is my current favorite version. It does now flow quite as easily as some others, but the translation is the current most accurate in terms of meaning.

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 17, 2010 - 3:45PM #5
Sisterintruth

I have different ones.

KJV

1599 Geneva

NKJV

Amplified

I mainly use my NKJV or Geneva since it was before the KJV.

I think God can use any of them to get his message across,we can't stop God in his word no matter the translation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2010 - 6:58PM #6
piecesofthewhole

Greetings everyone!

This is a great thread for me!  I just converted to Christianity and specifically Church of Christ.  I'm searching for a bible.

This has been really helpful. 

Thanks!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2010 - 12:38AM #7
Darryl

I usually use the English Standard Version (ESV) but my opinion is that the best Bible for you is one that you can understand and will actually read.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2010 - 12:23PM #8
Clydson

That's a good point.  I began with the Revised Standard Version, but have since changed to the New King James Version.  My first choice when checking further is the New American Standard Bible-Updated Edition. 

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook