Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

9 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2009 - 5:00PM #1
calebevans218

I've been trying to get into the habit of praying the Daily Office with regularity. Do any of you do so regularly? If so, do you have any thoughts about it or suggestions you'd like to share?

In Christ,

Caleb

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2009 - 12:55AM #2
Prajna

I hve started to pray the Daily Office using the BCP.  I don't knowif I am doing it "formally" or not but thatreally doesn't bother me.

The Catholic Church has the best devotional for praying the Daily Office, it's called the Magnificat.  It is the best devotional for the daily office that I've come across. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2009 - 2:57AM #3
kurnell

For many years I have used Celebrating Common Prayer, which is a version of the Daily Office of the Society of Saint Francis.

Now and then I change to the Daily Prayer section in A Prayer Book for Australia, for a bit of variety.

Another good one is A Manual of Anglo Catholic Devotion.

Praying the Daily Office is the mainstay of my devotional life.

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2009 - 11:13PM #4
Ytonic

I have been walking to work lately, and I found a couple of podcasts along this line.  One is Verbum Domini, which is the daily Catholic scripture readings.  (I like the NAB.)  At the beginning of my walk, I listen to that.  Then I listen to Episcopal morning prayer ( it's called "Morning Prayer from the EPiscopal Church").  I am only a few days into this ritual, but I already love it. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2009 - 11:47PM #5
Roodog

My mom told me that if you went through the lectionary with the daily office, you could go through the whole Bible in 2 years.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2010 - 12:54AM #6
byronearnold

Apr 22, 2009 -- 5:00PM, calebevans218 wrote:

I've been trying to get into the habit of praying the Daily Office with regularity. Do any of you do so regularly? If so, do you have any thoughts about it or suggestions you'd like to share?

In Christ,

Caleb

I try to do it every morning when I get up, and also the "At the Close of day" right before I go to bed.  In both cases, I use the "Daily Devoions for Individuals and Families" found in the 1979 Book ofCcommon Prayer.

Jul 22, 2009 -- 11:47PM, Roodog wrote:

My mom told me that if you went through the lectionary with the daily office, you could go through the whole Bible in 2 years.

According to my priest, we don't go through all of it.  we go through most of it though.  We skip a lot of the genealogies and also much of the holiness and ritual laws of the OT that only applied to being under the Old Covenant.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2013 - 1:54PM #7
JoanTreese

Here's a site that I like for the Daily Offices.  You can "customize" the prayers as you wish:  www.haligweorc.org/breviary/.  Let me know how you like it!

Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook