Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is Jesus Christ God?
9 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2009 - 9:33AM #1
dan6r1665

From the time I was very young I was taught that since the New Testament does not teach any doctrine of "the two natures of Christ" we should not call Jesus Christ "God" but rather "the Son of God."  My wife doesn't remember hearing that.  Does anybody else remember that aspect of being silent where the Bible is silent?

Dan

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2009 - 1:12PM #2
Campbellite

Apr 7, 2009 -- 9:33AM, dan6r1665 wrote:

From the time I was very young I was taught that since the New Testament does not teach any doctrine of "the two natures of Christ" we should not call Jesus Christ "God" but rather "the Son of God."  My wife doesn't remember hearing that.  Does anybody else remember that aspect of being silent where the Bible is silent?

Dan

I seem to recall that at the end of John's gospel, Thomas falls to his knees and declares, "My Lord and my God!"

I do not recall Jesus refuting that assertion.

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2009 - 1:26PM #3
Clydson

...and, if I may add, Paul presents the two natures of Jesus;

Phil 2:6-7, "...being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God,
but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant..."
NKJV

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2009 - 1:50PM #4
Mistah

(EXODUS 20:2-5) 2I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.3Thou shalt have no other gods before me.4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

This is part of the ten comandments,God is telling to the children of Israel not to worship any other Gods or bow to them...okay...now lets go to the birth of Jesus...

9When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

(MATTHEW 2:10-11)10When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.11And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.

Now what do you think of that?? Surely they would have been punished for worshipping anyone but God especially since they were sent by God...theres many other ways of proving that Jesus is God but this if my favorite way because i never heard anyone explain it this way 

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2009 - 3:29PM #5
Pam34

1) the prohibition against worshiping other gods was given solely to the children of Israel.

2) the magi were, presumably, zoroastrians and not a part of the children of Israel, therefore the prohibition against worshiping other gods did not apply.

just sayin...

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2009 - 11:06PM #6
newway87

John 1 says "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."  Then in vs. 14 it says "the Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us." 

I was always brought up with this reference to the triune God, the three in one.  God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.  (Although I'm not sure I ever heard anyone specifically phrase it like that.) 

I like these questions that make me think!

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 26, 2009 - 11:10AM #7
Pam34

Questions that make a person think are always good ones.

Just for reference - the idea that 'the Word' pre-existed Creation is a Jewish idea, and 'the Word' in that case is 'Torah': the basic Scripture. John appears to be equilivating 'God's Word' (the Torah) with the person of Jesus - perhaps stating that Jesus is a perfect exemplar of God's Word.

Blessed are You, HaShem, Who blesses the years.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 01, 2009 - 11:50AM #8
Mistah

OK...If This Isnt Enough I Dont Know What Is...Everyone knows that God Created the Earth...well these scriptures state that all was made by Jesus and for jesus...So that would make them one and the same...READ

Colossians 1:13-18 (King James Version)

13Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:

14In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

15Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

16For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

17And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

18And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 03, 2009 - 1:44AM #9
Wayne D

You can't beat Colossians 2:9 for the absolute diety of Christ.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 06, 2009 - 11:11AM #10
Mndwrpr

Isaiah 43:10,11--NKJV-- "You are My witnesses," says the LORD, "And My servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, nor shall there be after Me. I, even I, am the LORD, and besides Me there is no savior.

Isaiah 7:14--Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.

Matthew 1:22,23--So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us."

Isaiah 9:6--For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; and the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Matthew 12:6-8--Yet I say to you that in this place there is One greater than the temple. But if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.

John 8:58--Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM."

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook