5 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 7:48PM #1
ted08721

Do Episcopalians have any of the same practices as Catholics such as abstaining from meat on Ash Wednesday and fridays during Lent? You do recieve ashes on Ash Wednesday right?
thanks ted

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 9:43PM #2
JoanTreese

Mar 30, 2009 -- 7:48PM, ted08721 wrote:

Do Episcopalians have any of the same practices as Catholics such as abstaining from meat on Ash Wednesday and fridays during Lent? You do recieve ashes on Ash Wednesday right?
thanks ted

So of us do. I abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays as well as fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Our parishes do distribute ashes as well.

Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 11:50PM #3
ted08721

Mar 30, 2009 -- 9:43PM, JoanTreese wrote:

Mar 30, 2009 -- 7:48PM, ted08721 wrote:

thanks ted

So of us do. I abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays as well as fasting on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Our parishes do distribute ashes as well.

Thanks for the reply.
When you say some of us do, is that a disipline of your Church or just that some do as a personal practice and or is it those that do might be former Catholics that are used to doing it and so continue the practice because that is what they were brought up doing?
A second question if i may; I do know that you are a sacramental church, how many sacraments do you have? is it two or seven and what are they.
Thanks Ted

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 10:54AM #4
Dutch777

TEC recognizes seven sacraments; two dominical and five ecclesial.

One might further note that we have seven sacraments for both men and women; Gay and Straight.

TEC also has an innumerable number of sacramentals

Yes, we receive ashes on Ash Wednesday and have full eucharistic vestments, holy water, incense, exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, auricular confession.  TEC encourages its members to abstain from meat on all Fridays and to undergo a willing  spiritual ascesis during Lent and Advent.  TEC does not, however, dictate or mandate inasmuch as our  adult members are respected as adults rather than kept in a state of perpetual spiritual dependency.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 2:20PM #5
Dutch777

Forgot to mention: we also have rosaries, religious orders of priests, nuns and brothers --- but alas --- no indulgences or flying carpets.

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 4:09PM #6
ted08721

Mar 31, 2009 -- 2:20PM, Dutch777 wrote:

Forgot to mention: we also have rosaries, religious orders of priests, nuns and brothers --- but alas --- no indulgences or flying carpets.

No flying carpets?
You see that would be a deal breaker for me :)
Thanks for the info  Ted

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2009 - 1:00AM #7
Merope

Hi, Ted -

Yup, what Dutch and Joan said.  Plus what I 'splained in my email, parts of which I'll excerpt here in case anybody wants to chime in or you have further Qs.

I think the ECUSA and the Catholic Church may still share the same Sunday lectionary (which includes fancy feasts plus Ash Wednesday and Holy Week).  If I'm right, that means we have the same Ash Wednesday readings, including that from Joel (when Isaiah isn't read) about weeping, mourning, and fasting (best Lenten sermon I ever heard was on this text).  So we all kind of take our Lenten cue from there.

The Book of Common Prayer exhorts us to observe "a holy Lent, by self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting, and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God's holy Word."  I've also heard it preached that we should spend our Lent in prayer, study, and good works.  So that's your basic Lent deal, pretty much the same as in Catholicism.

In the ECUSA, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are denominated as "Fasts" (as opposed to "Feasts").  They are to be "observed by special acts of discipline and self-denial," as the Book of Common Prayer puts it.  It's up to the individual what discipline/self-denial s/he will follow, and there is not a church-wide requirement that everyone fast or abstain from meat on these two days.  Most people I know, though, either abstain from meat on these two days (and, often, on all Fridays in Lent) or eat only the equivalent of one meal (sometimes meatless) on these two days.  I do, too -- well, except for that one Good Friday when I thought pancetta was a kind of cheese ...  

While not specifically denominated as "Fasts," the other weekdays of Lent and Holy Week (except the Annunciation), and all Fridays of the year (in commemoration of the crucifixion) -- except Fridays in the Christmas and Easter seasons and any "Feasts of our Lord" that fall on a Friday -- are also considered days of special devotion, to be observed (like Ash Wednesday and Good Friday) by special acts of discipline and self-denial.  Again, it's up to each individual to decide what acts of discipline and self-denial to engage in; the Church doesn't get specific about that.  I do know a number of Episcopalians (a lot of whom are ex-Catholics) who don't eat meat on Fridays -- during or outside of Lent.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2009 - 10:36AM #8
JoanTreese

Well said, Merope.  Nice to see you back here!

Joan

He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? [Micah 6:8]
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2009 - 10:50AM #9
Dutch777

To plagerize from the Jello commericial: "there's always room for Merope".

The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2009 - 12:33PM #10
Merope

Thanks, you two :-)  Nice to see y'all again, as well :-)

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook