Switch to Forum Live View Low and so horrible!
5 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2009 - 9:47PM #1
kurnell

I took my mother to Church today.Her Anglican church is  fairly typical  of Sydney,' low', evangelical, 'Bible believing' variety.The first thing that hit me as I took my seat was the incessant chatter around me. Not the usual 'catholic whisper' that I am used to.No sense of reverence by those seated.

The service started with a hymn about Christ's death. How Christ took God's Divine Wrath, which I justly deserve,  upon Himself. Real 'child abuse' stuff.

The sermon,O so long!. In it we were reminded how God destroyed many groups of people, over time, because they would not obey Him. I guess the inference was,'look out, or He will get you to!

Interestingly,my mother said as we were leaving, "I'm glad that is over'. Which, thank God, relieved me from making comment.

What I can't understand is why these type of churches are so popular? Who wants to worship a grumpy God who delights in genocide?

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2009 - 2:37PM #2
Dutch777

Mar 28, 2009 -- 9:47PM, kurnell wrote:

What I can't understand is why these type of churches are so popular? Who wants to worship a grumpy God who delights in genocide?

Pax

Jeffrey

The same folks who crush beer cans against their foreheads and clip their toenails in public.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Bp.Jensen just doesn't declare himself a Baptist  and start rolling in the aisles.

The Path to Moon Lake
doesn't go there.
So walk your own Dharma*Path;
be mindful.

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2009 - 5:08PM #3
kurnell

LIke the 'break-aways' in the U.S......he can't leave with the property.

Pax

Jeffrey

Treasure your experience of God,however it comes to you.Remember that Christianity is not a notion but a way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2009 - 10:35PM #4
Roodog

Apr 3, 2009 -- 2:37PM, Dutch777 wrote:

Mar 28, 2009 -- 9:47PM, kurnell wrote:

Pax

Jeffrey

The same folks who crush beer cans against their foreheads and clip their toenails in public.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Bp.Jensen just doesn't declare himself a Baptist  and start rolling in the aisles.

Now Dutch, let's be fair about this:

Bap+!$+$ don't roll in the asile, Pentecostals do. Traditional Bap+!$+ services tend to be more like Presbyterian services, reserved and dignified in a simple way.

You see, you DO have fundies in your church.

Kurnell, I am sure you can find a nice church with bells and smells nearby.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook