Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Trinitarian Apostolic?
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2009 - 4:22AM #11
Theo

Nice to hear you say those things. I always had a problem, back when I was in the UPCI, with the brother's who did not accept the love and devotion exemplified in devout Trinitarian Christians. I could never buy into the idea that my Trinitarian Pentecostal neighbors were not saved because they had not been baptized according to Acts 238. And I had an equally hard time agreeing that my other neighbors, Baptists, were not saved because they didn't believe in speaking in tongues. I also have problems with Trinitarians who do not acccept Oneness Pentecostals as Christians. I did however, draw the line with my Mormon relatives - I've been fueding with my older brother and the Mormon Church for over 35 years now.

When I was UPC I thought I had a pretty good understanding of Scripture, until I got out of Bible College and started teaching Bible classes. Then I realized how little I actually knew. I accidently found a copy of the "Apostolic Fathers" and reading it changed my understanding of practically everything. It did not happen over night, but I did figure out that the early Church was not Oneness nor Pentecostal - if there is anything around today that they resembled back then, I would have to say - Charismatic Orthodox Christians. They were Spirit-filled gifted Christians, and they were liturgical and very catholic-like - small "c" not the RCC.

Authenticity was a theme that had been ingrained into my soul, and so I set out on a 20 year quest to become a real Christian. Funny thing is, all you have to be, to be a real Christian, is a lover of God and a disciple of Christ... the rest is fine print.

Peace to you and grace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

~ Theophilus

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2009 - 10:04AM #12
Onegod1

Dear Brother --

I really appreciate your post!  As I stated in one of my posts somewhere, no one person or group of people or organization has a 'corner' or monopoly on Truth and knows all there is to know about the nature and Diety of the Lord.

I actually hail from an era in Pentecost when most preachers didn't go to Bible college!  It was sort of like the Apostle Paul's experience in Acts 9 for me.  In a time of prayer, the Lord Jesus, by His Spirit, knocked me off my feet and I fell to the floor and worshipped Him.  It was there that He called me to preach and pastor.

I was so convinced of the soon calling of the Lord to the dead and living saints to meet Him in the air that I quit High School so I could preach the gospel -- there was no time to lose!  (I wouldn't reccomend that to young people today.  The Lord is on His way now more than ever, but He gave us brains that are to be used).  My childhood Pastor didn't go beyond 3rd grade.  He quit school to work to bring in money to help his poor family (but the Lord graced the man with a unique ability to preach and win souls.  He also knew the Bible backwards and forwards).  The power of God would visit the assembly so strongly that the physical building would shake under the power of the Holy Ghost!

I was then made teacher over a Sunday School class of Junior boys (studying in order to teach one's Sunday School lesson is excellent Bible study).  Also, I was on pastoral staff at that particular church which happened to be in a quite ethnically diverse and crowded inner-area of a large city.  People in that area looked toward the church as more than a "shoutin' place" on Sunday nights as a Resource for financial, legal, food, emergency & medical help, and we offered education in subjects like Mathematics, writing, and Language, in addition to Scripture - - as people in that area were mostly functionally illiterate.  I finished my GED and eventually graduated from two Bible colleges: the Apostolic Institute of Development and Pentecostal Bible Institute, as well as one Wesleyan Liberal Arts college with a degree in Business, Jordan College.

All of that to say that Bible College, and in today's Pentecostal society, Bible University, though I am a very strong supporter, realize that lot's of what is faced no class can teach.  Only by leaning upon the Lord and His voice can "right" choices be made.

Rev. Elder Martin Wright
First General Overseer
Christian Pentecostal Church International

President & Faculty member
Christian Pentecostal Bible College

Senior Bishop
Christian Life Center Pentecostal Church

WORLD FELLOWSHIP CENTER of the
Detroit, Michigan USA
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2009 - 10:17AM #13
Onegod1

Though I eventually "gave up" the Junior boys Sunday School class I taught to become the Director of Christian Education Ministries of the entire church (Sunday School Superintendent), while I had that class, I also ordered for myself from WAP the Junior newsletter, lesson book, and workbook for myself.  I did all the crosswords, word searches, colored all the pictures, and made all the projects, JUST AS EXAMPLES Cool, for the class!

Rev. Elder Martin Wright
First General Overseer

President & Faculty member
Christian Pentecostal Bible College

Senior Bishop
Christian Life Center Pentecostal Church

WORLD FELLOWSHIP CENTER of the
Detroit, Michigan USA
Quick Reply
Cancel