Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Should God be judged?
9 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2009 - 11:28AM #1
Greatest I am

Should God be judged?

Many have told me to judge not lest ye be judged.

I find this to be a rather stupid saying because I judge all things in order to know what should be believed or followed and what should be discarded.

To not do so would mean that I just accept all that is said and this of course would foul up any chance of knowing what is true or false. After all there is much in the way of contradictory information out there.

Have you judged what your God has said and done, as best as you can prove or believe?

If not, then how can you know that you follow the right God?

Is, judge not lest you be judged, a stupid saying or does it have merit and why?

Regards

DL

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2009 - 8:11PM #2
Future Catholic Priest

Mar 17, 2009 -- 11:28AM, Greatest I am wrote:

Should God be judged?

I find this to be a rather stupid saying because I judge all things in order to know what should be believed or followed and what should be discarded.

To not do so would mean that I just accept all that is said and this of course would foul up any chance of knowing what is true or false. After all there is much in the way of contradictory information out there.

Have you judged what your God has said and done, as best as you can prove or believe?

Is, judge not lest you be judged, a stupid saying or does it have merit and why?

Should God be judged? No

Many have told me to judge not lest ye be judged. It comes from Matthew 7:1-2

I find this to be a rather stupid saying because I judge all things in order to know what should be believed or followed and what should be discarded.To not do so would mean that I just accept all that is said and this of course would foul up any chance of knowing what is true or false. After all there is much in the way of contradictory information out there. Stupid or not this is what God commands us. Yes it is really difficult not to judge. I think God says not to judge others not really about things. Faith can sometimes be a complex thing. It's okay to not really accept everything or have doubts about some things. Just ask God about the situation or topic.

Have you judged what your God has said and done, as best as you can prove or believe? Of course not. I fully trust in His sovereignty. Besides there is only ONE God but many different views of Him.

If not, then how can you know that you follow the right God? As I said before, there is only ONE God, the God of the Bible, the God Who created heaven and earth, and who sent His only Son to die for the forgiveness of our sins.

Is, judge not lest you be judged, a stupid saying or does it have merit and why?No it's not stupid but a teaching of life of not looking down on others. Why? We're all equal in God's eyes: rich, poor, black, white, yellow, red, brown, tan, straight, bi, gay, man, woman, boy, girl, smart, dumb, abled, or disabled; we're all human loved by the same God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2009 - 1:29PM #3
gilg

Apr 17, 2009 -- 8:11PM, Future Catholic Priest wrote:

Should God be judged?

Of course when we create God in our own image we should judge Him, otherwise how would one know if He is deviating from our image?

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2009 - 3:55PM #4
Future Catholic Priest

Apr 18, 2009 -- 1:29PM, gilg wrote:

Apr 17, 2009 -- 8:11PM, Future Catholic Priest wrote:

Should God be judged?

Of course when we create God in our own image we should judge Him, otherwise how would one know if He is deviating from our image?

Why? It doesn't matter how we envision Him as a elderly man who is smart, with long white hair and beard, a crown on His head and seated in a throne. That's just a way we want to imagine that He looks like that. He doesn't really have a human nature as the Father and the Spirit, besides being Christ. All lot of times in the Bible (well mostly in the Old Testament) when people try to reach God, see God, or not even listen to Him because He didn't give what they wanted--they judge Him, test Him and He will punish them. That's why I do not think God should be judged, only trusted.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2009 - 10:43PM #5
gilg
Future Catholic Priest,

I guess I blew it and didn't make my point, but yes, you are right we shouldn't be judging God; doing so is simply silly as it is really judging oneself. My comment wasn't addressing how we sometimes perceive God as an old man or as X, but more with the attributes we assigned to Him and the expectations that we demand from Him..... I think that too often what we really want from God is for Him to change the world so that it fits our own image of what it should be.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2009 - 11:09PM #6
Future Catholic Priest

Exactly. We always want God to wait on us hand and foot, but He is not our servant, we are His servantS. We always expect God to give us what we at the exact moment when asked. It will never happen; but if we trust in Him then when the time is right according to His Will and Plan for us, He will tell us all in good time, whether this exact moment or sometime in the near future. We should just be patient. After all, He is in control.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  May 22, 2009 - 7:04PM #7
Bob_Bennett

Should God be judged?

Regards

DL

You might start by assuming that if Jesus said it then it is not a stupid saying or teaching.

Judging others is the opposite of forgiving, and Jesus taught us to forgive 70 X 7, as well as not to judge.    We fell out of heaven as a result of making the judgment that we would prefer to experience duality - the ability to judge between good and evil.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook