Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View I can no longer defend the Church's teachings on Contraception
8 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2010 - 10:15PM #21
ted08721

Video of interest in response to last poster

www.catholica.com.au/tomstake/041_tt_191...

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 9:33AM #22
ted08721

Mar 20, 2010 -- 9:38PM, Tim wrote:

The Catholic Church teaches that artificial birth control and sterilization are wrong because it cheapens life.

Consider for a moment the reason why one would get an abortion. Someone wanted sex - wanted to use another human being for their own personal enjoyment - but did not want to be inconvenienced by the child that might result. 

Is this not the same reason for using birth control? Is this not the same reason for getting a vasectomy? 

Artificial means of preventing pregnancy turns what should be a reverent act in which husband, wife and God are co-creators of life into an act where two people use each other for their own personal enjoyment. Marriage or the fact that the partners consent doesn't make it any less so. God and man as co-creators of human life, that it cheapens intimacy between husband and wife which was designed by God as an earthly example of the love between Him and His Son, and that it makes it easier to engage in other sin is the theological basis for the Roman Catholic Church's teaching that birth control is a grave sin. To say that the Church's position on birth control is based on a desire to subdjugate women or any such nonsense is complete ignorance of rudimentary Christian theology.

-Tim-

And the same can be said of NFP(natural family planning) which does the same thing.
And there is nothing natural about NFP which places all kinds of restrictions on a couple when they can do what comes naturally.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 9:40AM #23
ted08721

Mar 20, 2010 -- 9:38PM, Tim wrote:

The Catholic Church teaches that artificial birth control and sterilization are wrong because it cheapens life.

It is a fact that up until 1930, all Protestant denominations taught that birth control was a sin. The Anglican Church changed it's postion and all other Protestant denominations fell quickly in line. As for Catholics, the Roman Catholic Church was given abilty and authority to teach infallibly on matters of faith and morals by Jesus Christ. You can reject the teaching of the Church but in doing so you reject the authority of the Church which is Jesus Christ himself.

-Tim-

Well Protestant denominations decided that slavery was wrong and changed their position on it.
And after almost 2,000 years the Catholic Church followed the same course of action.
Maybe we should rethink the slavery issue again and be in favor of it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 10:36AM #24
Jupiter6208

In favor of Slavery? 

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2010 - 4:43PM #25
belleo

Does the Church teach that the unnatural or artificial means of birth
control are immoral and blameworthy?  Yes. In Humanae Vitae, the
first-named form of illicit or unnatural method of birth control is
abortion (n. 14).[3]

Then, "equally to be excluded, as the teaching authority of the Church has
frequently declared, is direct sterilization, whether perpetual or
temporary whether of the man or woman" (Humanae Vitae, 14). This condemns
tubal ligations, vasectomies, and the Pill.

"Similarly excluded is every action which, either in anticipation of the
conjugal act, or in its accomplishment, or in the development of its
natural consequences, proposes, whether as an end or as a means, to render
procreation impossible" (Humanae Vitae, 14).  Such unnatural forms include
the Pill, the intrauterine device, foams, diaphragms, condoms, withdrawal,
mutual or solitary masturbation and sodomistic practices.

Are some forms of unnatural birth control worse than others?  Yes. Those
forms that act after conception has occurred to prevent the continuation
of the pregnancy participate in the additional evil of abortion. "From the
moment of its conception life must be guarded with greatest care, while
abortion and infanticide are unspeakable crimes" (Gaudium et Spes, 51).

Surgical abortion is the most obvious but not the only form. The
intrauterine device (IUD) acts primarily as an early abortion agent by
preventing implantation of the week-old human life.

The birth control Pill makes the inner lining of the uterus very hostile
to implantation. It is not known how often the Pill acts in this way, but
it cannot be denied that the Pill may be acting as an early abortion agent
in any given cycle in any given woman.[4 (from Humanea Vitae-EWTN)

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2011 - 9:28PM #26
Derekj

Mar 11, 2009 -- 11:59PM, Kinky.christian wrote:

I write this with a heavy heart because I have always considered myself a faithful and obedient Catholic.

I cannot defend the Church's position on birth control.

The so-called rhythm method is unreliable. Condoms are a safe and proven method of contraception. I cannot understand why their use is a sin. None of the reasons given make any sense to me.

My attitude has always been that the teachings of the Church reflect the wisdom of centuries; that where I find myself in disagreement with Magisterium it is almost certainly I who is wrong.

Even where I do not understand a teaching I have always believed it is my duty to be obey.

But when it comes to the Church's teaching on birth control I am afraid I find myself in rebellion against Church teaching.

On an overcrowded planet limiting the number of children a couple has seems a responsible thing to do. In fact I would argue that in the circumstances of 2009 having too many children is a sin.

For the record I am single and celibate. I have no axe to grind on this issue. But I have seen other women struggle with this issue and my heart goes out to them.

You should read this to get a fuller perspective...

And if you really want to smarten up....

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2011 - 6:59AM #27
belleo

WHATEVER YOU CAN'T POST HERE I WILL NOT BOTHER TO READ ELSEWHERE. I have done that before and a virus zipped in. Having said that sex in marriage is not just for pleasure. The word responsibility enters in .Many think that sex is free of responsibility.I WENT TO SEE A FILM ON ABORTION. tHAT IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SEX IS FORNICATION THE PRIEST TOLD US

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2011 - 5:42PM #28
Nerdygothchick

I was a Catholic for seven years and this is one of many issues over which I left the Church (I might be going Episcopal).  First off all, I don't believe sex should be restricted for procreation ONLY.  What about a couple where one or both are rendered infertile due to an illness, birth defect, etc?  Should they not be allowed to express their love to each other in the most intimate and physical way we know how?  What about couples who are past the child-bearing years?  Should they now be celibate?  I am also 100% for gay rights.  I have just earned a psychology degree and in that process I've been educated that research has shown orientation has a strong bioloigical/genetic basis, it's not harmful, and it's not unnatural.  Personally, I think sex should be the business between two consenting adults regardless of marital status or orientation. 

But sticking to the topic at hand, what about a woman who does not want children?  I do not want children.  I'm madly in love with a man I might someday marry.  I cannot use natural family planning or the rythym method because I have female problems.  I may have to get a hysterectomy later on like many women in my family have had to due to female problems.  Right now, I am taking birth control pills because I have a hormonal imbalance that causes me to be on my cycle up to three weeks out of the month UNLESS I take them. 

Having said all that, I think abortion for the sake of birth control is a horrible thing.  I think preventing pregnancy to begin with is not immoral, it's smart.  It's not the same as intentionally killing a human being in the making.  I'm hesitant to say abortion should be illegal.  I think there are some cases where it is justified medically.  Even when it's not, I don't want to see young women injuring or killing themselves with coat hangers or back alley procedures. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook