Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Long lines for Communion, no lines for Confession
9 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2009 - 12:47PM #11
Tmarie64

I was not aware that "most" priests don't go to confession!

That makes their stupid requirement even MORE aggravating!  I am too old for "Do as I say, not as I do".  My mother stopped that when I got to be old enough for her to explain things to me; and I will be damned if some old farts in Rome are going to order me around.  If I go to hell for not confessing to a MAN that I cursed or lost my patience then so be it.  But I don't think God wants me in the confessional thinking the things I think about the very church I'm sitting in.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2009 - 8:51PM #12
jane2

Mar 9, 2009 -- 12:47PM, Tmarie64 wrote:

I was not aware that "most" priests don't go to confession!

That makes their stupid requirement even MORE aggravating!  I am too old for "Do as I say, not as I do".  My mother stopped that when I got to be old enough for her to explain things to me; and I will be damned if some old farts in Rome are going to order me around.  If I go to hell for not confessing to a MAN that I cursed or lost my patience then so be it.  But I don't think God wants me in the confessional thinking the things I think about the very church I'm sitting in.

Exactly who is requiring that you confess such things? No one I know of. Even Church law doesn't require it. Most priests are not up for that either. From where are you getting your information? I have heard at least two pastors say much the opposite.

Father Richard McBrien has some interesting comments this week at www.ncronle.org about the pull-back to the Latin mass and indulgences (which require confession) trying to make the clergy more central to the Faith than they have become. He's an interesting theologian, a chaired professor at Notre Dame.

We don't need to be in a rage all the time if we take time to read what's going on in truth and have access to a wise pator now and then.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2009 - 9:44PM #13
Tamayo

I haven't been back to confession since my first confession - in 2nd grade! It was a harrowing experience for a 7 year old. Truly, what sins does a 7 year old girl really have to confess, anyway?

The boyfriend still goes to confession maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I'm very tolerant of it - I would never consider asking him what he confessed or what the priest said, having some idea of the things he could be confessing for - I just think it'd be rude. But I have to wonder... why does a guy who can literally spin my head with an engineering explanation of why opening a window with the A/C on in a particular room will make the room cooler, feels the need to confess his "sins" to a guy who is effectively one of the liberal arts majors he so happily insults at every chance?

I've learned to just hold my tongue on these issues.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 09, 2009 - 10:21PM #14
Tmarie64

Jane... I was ordered to go to confession once a month... Reconciliation is a sacrament.  My daughters were told by their Catholic school that they would be sinning if they went to communion and did not go to confession regularly.

It's what has been pounded into Catholic school kids, and the kids of people from mostly Catholic countries.   Right or wrong, that's what is taught.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2009 - 1:57AM #15
jane2

Mar 9, 2009 -- 10:21PM, Tmarie64 wrote:

Jane... I was ordered to go to confession once a month... Reconciliation is a sacrament.  My daughters were told by their Catholic school that they would be sinning if they went to communion and did not go to confession regularly.

It's what has been pounded into Catholic school kids, and the kids of people from mostly Catholic countries.   Right or wrong, that's what is taught.

Who on earth was teaching this? I was in Catholic high school and college in the fifties and this wasn't even being taught then.

For several years in my last parish, this was simply reversed in the twenty-first centry. For many years in that parish I was involved in teaching RCIA and adult bible study and went to the Catholic Conference for educators and other seminars.

Here's one you will absolutely love. At an RCIA seminar the chief catechist for archdiocese told us that after we die the Lord God will still give us a chance to choose Him!! Thank goodness friends and my RCIA director were there to hear it. These were seminars for adults teaching adults.

I have a real distaste for much that went on in Catholic parochial grade schools. I went to public grade school. Many of the religious teaching in those parochial grade schools did not have degrees and weren't all that familiar with even the theological teachings of the time.

This thinking is a disgrace because in truth it is heretical.

More later. My little fluff-ball dog is waiting for me to unwind and watch the Golden Girls. He sleeps on my bed, of course. OOps here he comes . Put a 32-inch in the bedroom, too, so he and I can watch late nite tv. (Got a deal on it.)

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2009 - 10:08AM #16
Mere_christian

Feb 22, 2009 -- 5:16PM, friendofsaints&angels wrote:

I've noticed that the lines at Mass are very long for Communion, but there are no lines for Confession. is this just at my church, or is this just the way it is nowadays in everyones church? we have Confession at my church on Saturdays from 4:00 - 4:30 p.m. every week, and Iv'e noticed that many times, I don't even need to wait to get into the Confessional. many times the priest is just sitting in there by himself, waiting for people to show up. it also saddens me sometimes to see that Mass has become a social hour for many people. immediately after Communion, many people are too busy putting on their coats & looking at their watches, to even realize that they just entered into a very special Sacramental covenant with God. I also see many people leaving right after Communion. people don't even bother going back to their seats, singing the final hymn, listening to the final Parish messages, or even have the decency to wait for the priest to walk down the aisle & exit the church. don't people know that they are eating & drinking a judgement upon themselves, when they receive the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin? why does it seem that so many Catholics are so uneducated, or just plain ignorrant to the words in Sacred Scripture? and while I'm busy ranting here, do people really need to bring their cellphones to church? I feel like I'm going to scream every time I hear someones phone ring in church, and this seems to be happening more frequently. do people really need their cellphones in church? if people have that big of an emergency going on outside of church, maybe they should not be in church that particular week in the first place. is it really that difficult for people to be without their cellphones for an hour? would it be that rough for people to leave their phones in the car, or atleast put them on vibrate while they are at Mass? Iv'e also noticed that no more than a handful of people take advantage of all the special things that the church offers like Eucharistic adoration, Liturgy of the hours, Stations of the cross, etc. how can we as devout Catholics change this? I know one thing for sure, I'll keep praying.

The Lord will change this. God will call His people, and that is FIRST to repentance.

The secularization of "The Church," is the cause of the condition you detail. THAT WILL CHANGE, and I'll bet in a short time. As gay marriage and progressive ideology stains the world with its celebration of evil and horror, God's people will be repulsed and they will repent for the union they have had with this evil world.

And it won't just be in the Catholic buildings. Remember Elijah's concern. The Lord still has many people that follow and are true. Those will reject this sickness that has come to be Pop Culture.

Once again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook