Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Wedding vows in the Christian church
8 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2009 - 8:10AM #11
Katja144

Once again, I am not here to discuss or debate beliefs about divorce.  End of story.  This is the last time I will respond to such posts that have nothing to do with my question.

If my significant other cheats on me, abuses me, decides he wants children, decides it's his life dream to move to rural Africa for the rest of his life, whatever...those are lifestyles highly incompatible with what I want my lifestyle to be.  The relationship is doomed.

If my significant other decides himself that he wants to leave for some reason, I cannot stop him.  I cannot control the feelings or actions of another person.  The relationship is doomed.

Relationships end for these reasons all the time.  Doesn't mean one or both parties don't wish it could work, or even haven't tried to work it out.  But sometimes a relationship is just doomed.

End of story, end of discussion.  Now does anyone care to answer my question?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2009 - 10:14AM #12
grampawombat

Katja, you originally asked, "Are there certain wedding vows required in the Christian church (Presbyterian Church [USA] most specifically, hence why I'm asking here)?"

The short answer is "no."

Most of the people who post here are at the more "orthodox" end of the scale, hence the answers you get will reflect that. I attempted to answer your question in a more general way, but whatever it was that I said must not have been specific enought for you. What you need to do is talk to some PCUSA clergy and get their views. But again, find some with a broader perspective. In that regard, you might try www.tcpc.org, look for an affiliated PCUSA congregation, and give them a call.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook