Switch to Forum Live View Why Stay United Methodist ?
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 10:36PM #1
inquisitive1
I may be like a lot of other UM's, but I stay Methodist purely because in my community it is the most progressive church available to me.  I was raised in the UCC, and if there were any UCC's in the area where I now live, I would most likely still be UCC.  However, being in a rural part of the midwest, Methodism is as close I can get.  I agree that the denomination seems to be moving in the opposite direction of where I feel myself heading.  With itineracy, a church never knows exactly what to expect.  We had a progressive directing pastor who was replaced 5 years ago by someone whose theology wasn't even in the same ballpark.  Now, that pastor is getting moved, and our congregation has no idea what to expect.  What I find disconcerting is that the older folks who have been Methodist all their lives say things like, "Oh, nobody stays forever," meaning that if you just stick around long enough, a pastor you like will come along. This seems to me to be a rather archaic way to run a denomination.  I also think the denomination is rather "top heavy" with too many layers of beuracracy.  The entire apportionment system means connection but it also means lots of money leaves the local church to support the Methodist system.  In tough economic times, this is really going to be a drain on local churches. 

At any rate, I guess I stay because it is the most progresssive church available to my family.  Also, I now work for the church I attend and try to present a progressive viewpoint whenever and wherever I can.

inquisitive1
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2009 - 10:19PM #2
Corgi

I just think it's time the church of George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and Rush Limbaugh admit it isn't progressive.  The UMC has sold out to the culture. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2009 - 7:53PM #3
Corgi

The UUA is the obvious choice as more progressive than the UMC.  But the UCC certainly is, and both the PCUSA and the ELCA are further along than the UMC in dealing with glbtq issues.  The UMC's position on many issues is identical to that of the Southern Baptist Convention, ya know.  Which makes it a little difficult to claim to be progressive.  Would Rush, Bush, Cheney, and Rick Perry, among others, feel comfortable in a church that was really progressive? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2009 - 9:07PM #4
elanvital

Mar 6, 2009 -- 10:19PM, Corgi wrote:

I just think it's time the church of George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and Rush Limbaugh admit it isn't progressive.  The UMC has sold out to the culture. 

As if these three stooges represented the UMC.

And how has the UMC 'sold out to the culture'?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2009 - 9:36PM #5
j_Rob

"I just think it's time the church of George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, and Rush Limbaugh admit it isn't progressive.  The UMC has sold out to the culture."

Well, that is a little unfair.  As the above poster mentions, these fools do not represent the whole of the UMC.  It is worth noting that Cheney and Limbaugh are not "professing members" of the church.  Hilary Clinton and former Dem senator Max Cleland are both professing members. 

The United Methodist Church, like most mainline protestant denominations, is a big tent, encompassing people of widely differing political and theological viewpoints.  Some Methodists and their congregations are quite conservative, others rather liberal.  Most are pretty middle of the road.  Of course, if the first answer one comes up with when asked for a "liberal enough" denomination is the UUA, well, you'd not be happy in any mainline church. 

j_Rob  

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2009 - 4:04PM #6
j_Rob

KevinPOneill

I would be interested in knowing what churches you believe have not "sold out to the culture."  I ask because that means very different things to different people.  One might say (as I'll admit I do) that any church which jettisons traditional liturgical worship in favor of "praise bands" and such junk has sold out.  Others might say that churches that support SSM and other traditionally liberal causes have sold out to the culture.  Strict traditionalists might suggest that any church which significantly changes its doctrine (especially when that change coincides with changes in society at large) has sold out and become unfaithful to the true faith.  Still others might say other things. 

I don't really think the UMC has "sold out" in any real way.  In many ways, in fact, they are truer to their Methodist/Wesleyan roots than many other mainline churches (the ELCA or Episcopal Church, for example) are to their respective roots. 

I would like to hear your thoughts. 

j-Rob 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 25, 2009 - 1:35AM #7
Corgi

It's an outright lie to say that glbt people are accepted in the United Methodist Church.  The UMC does not allow the ordination of glbt people, and forbids clergy from doing weddings for gay or lesbian Christians.  The UCC has been ordaining gay clergy since 1972, and has endorsed marriage equality.  The UMC openly discriminates against gay Christians. 

Again, the UMC is NOT a progressive church.  Just ask those who've been forced to leave the UMC because of their sexuality or gender identity.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook