6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 7:32AM #1
steve123
Is it ok, proper, or right for a non-Catholic (hopefully after Easter I will be), to go to confession if I know I have committed mortal sin?  or should I wait until I am received into the Church?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 9:05AM #2
rjak134

steve123 wrote:

Is it ok, proper, or right for a non-Catholic (hopefully after Easter I will be), to go to confession if I know I have committed mortal sin?  or should I wait until I am received into the Church?

It is my understanding (based on my own RCIA experience) that one makes one's first confession shortly before being received into full communion via first confirmation & first communion.  You'll probably want to talk to your local priest about it, though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 9:42AM #3
Prajna
I remember before I became Catholic I went on a Catholic youth retreat.  And one of the things was that everyone who went did a short confession.  Well I wasn't Catholic at the time and I was still encouraged to go.  So I went and told the Priest that I wasn't Catholic and he understood and let me talk to him about my issues. 

The only thing is that he cannot give you absolution from your sins.  And if you go to confession now, before the Rite of Penance, you will need to restate those sins, once you do your first Confession.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 7:34AM #4
steve123

Prajna wrote:

I remember before I became Catholic I went on a Catholic youth retreat.  And one of the things was that everyone who went did a short confession.  Well I wasn't Catholic at the time and I was still encouraged to go.  So I went and told the Priest that I wasn't Catholic and he understood and let me talk to him about my issues. 

The only thing is that he cannot give you absolution from your sins.  And if you go to confession now, before the Rite of Penance, you will need to restate those sins, once you do your first Confession.

Thanks.
Pranja,

What is the Rite of Penance?  To me, a couple of months shouldn't make a difference whether you are officially absolved from your sins (if you make confession now or then....)..  But alas, if it needs to be official, then I will wait and not pursue it at this time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 7:51AM #5
Tmarie64

steve123 wrote:

You'll go to confession before you receive your first communion.  Talk to your priest, but I don't think he can give absolution.

James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 8:34AM #6
Riesl1

steve123 wrote:

Thanks.
Pranja,

What is the Rite of Penance?  To me, a couple of months shouldn't make a difference whether you are officially absolved from your sins (if you make confession now or then....)..  But alas, if it needs to be official, then I will wait and not pursue it at this time.

Actually, my wife had a different experience. She was drawn to the church BECAUSE of confession (which baffles so many) and went to confession with absolution regularly throughout the RCIA process. The priest explained that because she was a baptized Christian and we accept one Christian baptism, that she was in no different place than a child who has been baptized, and made their first penance, but not received communion or confirmation yet.

I think you should go.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 8:46AM #7
steve123
Thanks for the responses.  Long story short, I called a pastoral associate at the local parish.  She is checking into it.  Hopefully you are right, Riesl1.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 10:43AM #8
steve123
Just received word.  Prajna, you are right, I would have to re-confess when the time comes, when all the RCIA participants prepare for first communion.  :-(
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook