Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View transferring from the Independents!
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 12:03PM #1
stonecampbell74
Hi folks, I've posted here before on a few things, just wanted to say I mailed my application for "transfer of standing" to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).  After years of searching and trying to make myself fit in the Independent Christian Churches I've finally arrived at what I should do!  I've found a few words of encouragement from those who cruise this forum and I just want to say thanks a bunch.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 4:12PM #2
revkag77
Welcome!  Hope it works out as well for you and it has for me!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 6:20PM #3
mecdukebec
Jesus called disciples, but he never called independents.  Welcome home.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 9:11AM #4
stonecampbell74
Thanks!  I've been battling this a long time, probably the past 8 years or more!  I know God is calling me to these different pastures, I pray these new pastures will be more of a home for me!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2009 - 12:11AM #5
Campbellite
Welcome, indeed! There is always room in our tent.
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 15, 2009 - 5:45PM #6
Vanessa86
Welcome home, indeed! Glad to see you sounding so happy!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2009 - 12:20PM #7
mitchel1
Every church has its struggles and shortcomings as well as virtues. Hope you enjoy the virtues of the Disciples more than you dispise the shortcomings. No doubt you already know that in some places Disciples act more like the UCC and in other places more like the Southern Baptists. So it is not always easy to negotiate. I hope you find
a place where you can serve with joy and find the place between conviction and freedom that makes spiritual growth and discipleship possible.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 7:38PM #8
arkstfan

mitchel1 wrote:

Every church has its struggles and shortcomings as well as virtues. Hope you enjoy the virtues of the Disciples more than you dispise the shortcomings. No doubt you already know that in some places Disciples act more like the UCC and in other places more like the Southern Baptists. So it is not always easy to negotiate. I hope you find
a place where you can serve with joy and find the place between conviction and freedom that makes spiritual growth and discipleship possible.

I am in almost all likelihood joining my local Disciples congregation after 5 years at a Bible church which near as I've been able to figure is Southern Baptists unwilling to send money to the Southern Baptist Convention.

I've been ill-behaved. They expect 10% contribution and my wife was out of work for a year and three days (but who was worried enough to count). Despite telling two of the SIX paid ministers for the congregation of 400 our situation it seemed to have not been worth commenting on until they finally realized we had stopped giving and an elder sent a dun letter. I explained the situation and it was OK for four months and for my birthday got a "we must meet" letter. Again it was OK but when I pointed out that no one had ever bothered to see how we were making it or if we had any needs or basically say squat other than get in line with the rest of our creditors, the response was, "The small group leaders usually do that" problem is I am the leader of my small group.

A deacon there is hitting the silk as well due to similar circumstances. Plus he is frustrated that no one ever stands in front of the congregation and speaks unless they are getting a W-2 from the church and he has been studying gender roles and concluded silence for women isn't scriptural. He visited the DoC congregation with us (I promise I'm getting to the point eventually) and he really locked up because there just weren't any issue pronouncements to scour over and verify his agreement with. He along with my wife and I are thrilled with the dirty hands ministry of the congregation (they really get amongst those they are helping) but no position papers was a freak-out. (here comes the promised point)

I explained there are two types of churches.

Those that tell you what to think about everything, create walls that protect purity, and limit what spiritual gifts you can use and how you use them to preserve order.

Then there are those that make you take responsibility for knowing what to think, welcome everyone and encourage spiritual growth.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 8:20PM #9
mecdukebec
A long time, Ark.  I recall that you were part of a newer church start c of C; I used to participate, however very cautiously in that godawful grace-centered board, which, I gather, followed the Bush Administration to its wreck.  That said. glad that you are still around, and welcome to the DoC.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2009 - 8:51PM #10
arkstfan

mecdukebec wrote:

A long time, Ark.  I recall that you were part of a newer church start c of C; I used to participate, however very cautiously in that godawful grace-centered board, which, I gather, followed the Bush Administration to its wreck.  That said. glad that you are still around, and welcome to the DoC.

'Tis been awhile. The GC Board is still in quite the state of grumblehood over the anti-Christ Liberal victory. Still some good folks mucking around but the economy is apparently having an impact based on posts about elders drumming up dollars to make budgets.

We did plant a new coC and when conflict arose money talked and resolved it. I was one of the last of the other side to leave despite being tempted with taking over all the adult education program and being tabbed as a sure bet for future elderhood (subject to approval by the golden ruler). One of my friends lured me to the Bible church but unbeknown to me was that he had a job lined up and that when you go on payroll you don't associate outside the circle of paid staff, elders and their families with an occasional lunch with deacons. If I had a lick of sense I'd have bailed when I no longer got phone calls returned but I was busy leading a small group and walking the living nightmare of shepherding a couple in the group that had split up (they had not placed membership formally so the elders weren't knocking themselves out to help). We nurtured them back to health and saved the marriage and they are doing great, I just dread when they figure out we're leaving. I've got enough creditors as it is without the church being one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook