Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View TAC to swim the Tiber?
9 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2009 - 12:06PM #1
Prajna
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 12:09AM #2
Prajna
That has been one of their recurring articles from catholic.org.  I guess the latest devlopment is that they will remain a personal prelature.  That would make them the second one, next to Opus Dei.  Maybe they will get a movie made about them. 

I wonder if this will have more conservative Anglicans/Piskies swimming the Tiber?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 9:46AM #3
Prajna
Wow, so that didn't last long at all.  And two very funny things.  One he takes into consideration how it will effect ABC AND he says they aren't "true Anglicans"

"Rome, Feb 3, 2009 / 03:43 am (CNA).- Casting doubt on media reports, a Vatican official familiar with the possibility of hundreds of thousands of Traditional Anglicans potentially entering the Catholic Church, has described as the scenario as “unlikely.”

Speaking to SIR News, Msgr. Marc Langham, an official at the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, said “indiscretions” and “media rumors that do not correspond to the truth” have surrounded the reporting of the Catholic Church’s relations with the Traditional Anglican Communion (TAC), a group which has broken away from the Anglican Communion based in Canterbury.

“We have not been informed that this is going to happen; maybe the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith is more informed but we have not received any update,” he said. “All we know is what we have read on newspapers and on some blogs.”

“What is on the Internet and in the press seems quite strange. It seems to me to be very unlikely,” he continued.

This is unlikely because “conversion is a personal process and a group of so many people could hardly be accepted,” he argued.

He also criticized the TAC’s reported membership of 500,000 as an “overestimation,” saying it is a “very small group.”

Msgr. Langham added that TAC bishops are married and its leading archbishop has been married twice. “Therefore he is not in the position to be accepted as a bishop.”

According to SIR, he also noted that TAC members are not in communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

“They are not true Anglicans,” he argued. “They are not recognized by the Anglican Communion. Accordingly, we do not know what their status is.”  underline is my doing

The TAC’s admission into the Catholic Church will raise “difficulties” for the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Anglican Communion, “which is why we must be very cautious and prudent,” he said.

Earlier reports had indicated that the Vatican’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) has recommended that the Traditional Anglican Communion (TAC) be given a personal prelature if talks between the TAC and the Vatican succeed. An announcement reportedly could be made after Easter this year."

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=14963
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 11:22AM #4
Dutch777
Praj:
As I've indicated on the RCC board, TAC's membership figures are quite exaggerated.  Rather than 500 thousand, the figures I've come across are closer to 100 thousand, worldwide.  It's difficult to tell, however, inasmuch as TAD is an umbrella term for a very loose cluster of tiny continuing sects.  They're not recognized by Canterbury, so they're not strictly speaking, Anglican.

In view of the unfortunate embarassments the Vatican has recently endured, would it really want to involve with this group?  As a San Franciso resident once observed of Oakland: "there's no there there".
:)
The Path
To Moon
lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own
DharmaPath
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 12:51PM #5
Prajna
Dutch,

I must have missed the post where you talked about the TAC.  But thanks for highlighting another comical part of the article!  TAC just got a slap from   PCPCU.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 9:52AM #6
Prajna
Jeanette,

PCPCU=Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity

And I haven't the foggiest (is that even a word?) what a true Anglican is?  Apparently someone over in Vatican city has a display or two of one ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 2:11PM #7
Prajna
Wow, someone needs to get their stuff together.  Now they say the Pope is trying to find a way to allow a PP for the TAC.

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/articles/a0000469.shtml
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2009 - 3:07PM #8
SeraphimR

dutch777 wrote:

Praj:
As I've indicated on the RCC board, TAC's membership figures are quite exaggerated.  Rather than 500 thousand, the figures I've come across are closer to 100 thousand, worldwide.  It's difficult to tell, however, inasmuch as TAD is an umbrella term for a very loose cluster of tiny continuing sects.  They're not recognized by Canterbury, so they're not strictly speaking, Anglican.

In view of the unfortunate embarassments the Vatican has recently endured, would it really want to involve with this group?  As a San Franciso resident once observed of Oakland: "there's no there there".
:)

I don't think the Pope cares what other people think.  Avoiding embarassment is not a motivation.

--------------------------------

That would be Gertrude Stein, who was a resident of Oakland, before moving to Paris.

"What she was referring to was that after thirty years in Paris she came back to find her house was no longer there, her school was no longer there,her park was no longer there, her synagogue was no longer there. So for her, there was no longer a there there."

“So long as there is squalor in the world, those obsessed with social justice feel obliged not only to live in it themselves but also to spread it evenly.”

http://takimag.com/article/the_ugly_truth_theodore_dalrymple
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook