Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What are some of your favorite quotes from Saints, early church fathers, Popes etc.
9 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 6:14PM #1
friendofsaints&angels
So what are some of your favorite quotes and sayings from the early church Fathers, Priests, Popes, Bishops, Saints and others that make up the Holy Catholic church??? This comes from a booklet called- Preperation for Total Consecration, by a great Saint of the church, by the name of Saint Louis Marie de Montfort and I think that it is something that we should all take into consideration every day.

This part in the booklet is called- Of the obediance of a humble heart; after the example of Jesus Christ.

"Son, he who strives to withdraw himself from obediance, withdraws himself from grace, and he that seeks particular privilages loses such as are in common, He who does not freely and willingly submit himself to his superior shows that his flesh is not as yet perfectly obediant, but instead is often rebellious. Learn then to submit yourself readily to your superior, if you desire to subdue your own flesh. For sooner is the exterior enemy overcome, if the inward man be not laid waste; there is not a more troublesome or worrisome enemy to the soul than yourself when you are not agreeing with the spirit. You must in earnest conceive a true contempt of yourself, if you will prevail against flesh and blood, because as yet, you love yourself too inordinately; therefore do you fear to resign yourself entirely to the will of others. But what great matter is this, if you who are but dust and a mere nothing, submit yourself to man for God's sake, when I the Almighty, and the Most High, Who created all things out of nothing for thy sake, humbly subjected Myself to man. I became the most humble and the most abject of all men, that you might overcome your pride. Learn O dust, to obey; learn to humble yourself, and how to bow under the feet of all. learn to break your own will, and yield yourself up to all subjection."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 6:34PM #2
friendofsaints&angels
"Mary is the one who has the deepest knowledge of the mystery of God's mercy. She knows its price, she knows how great it is. In this scense, we call her the Mother of mercy: our Lady of mercy, or Mother of divine mercy; in each one of theses titles there is a deep theological meaning, for they express the special preparation of her soul, of her whole personality, so that she was able to perceive, through the complex events, first of Israel, then of every individual and of the whole of humanity, that mercy of wich "from generation to generation" people become sharers according to the eternal design of the most Holy Trinity."

John Paul ll, Dives in Misericordia
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 8:50PM #3
Emmanuelle110
I'm not very good with quotes from historical people but I did see a sign the other day that said "God didn't call them the Ten Suggestions" and I thought that was pretty funny.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 9:19PM #4
rjak134

friendofsaints&angels wrote:

So what are some of your favorite quotes and sayings from the early church Fathers, Priests, Popes, Bishops, Saints and others that make up the Holy Catholic church??? This comes from a booklet called- Preperation for Total Consecration, by a great Saint of the church, by the name of Saint Louis Marie de Montfort and I think that it is something that we should all take into consideration every day.

This part in the booklet is called- Of the obediance of a humble heart; after the example of Jesus Christ.

"Son, he who strives to withdraw himself from obediance, withdraws himself from grace, and he that seeks particular privilages loses such as are in common, He who does not freely and willingly submit himself to his superior shows that his flesh is not as yet perfectly obediant, but instead is often rebellious. Learn then to submit yourself readily to your superior, if you desire to subdue your own flesh. For sooner is the exterior enemy overcome, if the inward man be not laid waste; there is not a more troublesome or worrisome enemy to the soul than yourself when you are not agreeing with the spirit. You must in earnest conceive a true contempt of yourself, if you will prevail against flesh and blood, because as yet, you love yourself too inordinately; therefore do you fear to resign yourself entirely to the will of others. But what great matter is this, if you who are but dust and a mere nothing, submit yourself to man for God's sake, when I the Almighty, and the Most High, Who created all things out of nothing for thy sake, humbly subjected Myself to man. I became the most humble and the most abject of all men, that you might overcome your pride. Learn O dust, to obey; learn to humble yourself, and how to bow under the feet of all. learn to break your own will, and yield yourself up to all subjection."

Hmm- tough to narrow down, as there are so many.  Here is one of my favorites from the Desert Fathers:

“Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and said to him, “Abba, as far as I can I say my little office, I fast a little, I pray and meditate. I live in peace and as far as I can, I purify my thoughts. What else can I do?” Then the old man stood up and stretched his hands towards heaven. His fingers became like ten lamps of fire and he said to him, “If you will, you can become all flame.””

A couple of the old stand-bys from St. Francis are also favorites of mine:

"Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary, use words."

"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."

This one from Josemaria Escriva is a favorite of mine for when faith is hard and seems unrewardinng:

"You worry and are saddened because your Communions are cold and dry. Tell me: when you approach the Sacrament, is it yourself you seek or is it Jesus? If you seek yourself, you have reason indeed to be sad. But if — as you ought — you seek Christ, could you ask for a clearer sign than the Cross to know that you have found him?"

And lastly, I'd like to include one of two from G. K. Chesterton (even though he's not technically a saint, he's still the Apostle of Common Sense :) ), but I just can't narrow it down!  I'll just give you the link to the Chesterton Society's quotations page, and y'all can have fun with that:  http://chesterton.org/discover/quotations.html

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2008 - 12:09PM #5
friendofsaints&angels
Those were all very good. I haven't checked out that C.K. Chesterton site yet, but I will. I find alot of the quotes that Iv'e heard from him in the past to be very interesting and informative.

I think that it was Saint Alphonsus who once said,

"Everyone needs a half an hour of prayer in their lives every day, unless ofcoarse they are busy, then they need an hour."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2008 - 12:28PM #6
friendofsaints&angels
"It costs only our lives to open the interior sanctuary of our souls to the indwelling presence of God. We die that He live, we decrease that He increase, we lose ourselves that He be found. Indeed, only then do we come into our true identity as a people created in His image and likeness. Only then does the purpose and meaning of life transcend the limits imposed by time and space. That we are destined to share in God's eternity compels our commitment to life in a world that is passing away."

Fr. Anthony Bus', CR
Pastor
St. Stanislaus Kostka Parish
Chicago, Illinois
www.amothersplea.org
www.SanctuaryofTheDivineMercy.org
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2008 - 12:33PM #7
friendofsaints&angels
"Sometimes we don't mean it, but we tend to use God as a slot machine. We put in a couple of prayers and hope to hit a jackpot."

Father John Corapi SOLT
www.fathercorapi.com
www.relevantradio.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2008 - 1:12PM #8
friendofsaints&angels
"About 33% of the whole worlds population is Christian and a much smaller percentage of that is Catholic, and a much smaller percentage of those people actually attend Mass on a weekly basis, and a much smaller percentage of those people, actually know who it is that they receive when they go to Communion."

Father Larry Richards
www.relevantradio.com
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2008 - 1:17PM #9
friendofsaints&angels
Early Christians were persecuted, tortured and in many cases put to death for celebrating the Eucharist. A king asked these Christians why they  wouldn't just stop celebrating the Mass. their reply was,

"There can be no Christians without the Eucharist and there can be no Eucharist without Christians."
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2008 - 1:31PM #10
friendofsaints&angels
"The tail of the devil is functioning in the disintegration of the Catholic world. The darkness of Satan has entered and spread throughout the Catholic Church even to its summit. Apostasy, the loss of faith, is spreading throughout the world and into the highest levels within the Church."

Stated prophetically by Pope Paul VI in a June 29, 1972  homily, shortly before his death.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook