Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Saints In The Churches History Do You Admire The Most???
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 5:21PM #1
friendofsaints&angels
I ask this question because I have had a few Saints that seem to be popping up in my life quite alot.  the more I read and hear about these particular Saints, the more I am quite fascinated by them and I find myself wanting to learn more about them. also, who is your Confirmation Saint? Mine is Saint Joseph. I think it's a good thing to have these Saints in church history too learn about them. At the same time, I think it shows more clearly, just how loving and merciful God truly is. alot of Saints in church history, didn't start out as Saints, but by the grace of God they became who and what they were meant to be. the two Saints I like reading and learning more about are- Saint Francis of Assisi and Blessed Saint Padre Pio. I was away from the church living up too my neck in sin and never really knew that much about Pope John Paul ll. I know that he is not a Saint, but he seemed to be a truly humble and obedient man. I know that there are people on here that have less than a desirable opinion of him, but the more I know about some of his teachings and his true love for the Eucharist and the Rosary, the more I kind of get sucked into him. both Him and Padre Pio had a love for the Eucaharist and the Blessed Mother. I don't know about Saint Francis and the Eucharist, but I do know that He had written a prayer too the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 5:28PM #2
Prajna
St. Ignatius
St John Chrysostom
St. Athanasius
St. Peter (guess that one is kinda given)
St. Basil
St. Philip the Apostle (my patron Saint and whom i am named after although my parents didn't have that intention)
St. Mary of Egypt
St. Nicholas
St. Francis of Assisi

And of course the blessed Theotokos, ever-virgin Mary!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 6:00PM #3
jane2
St. Peter
St. Mary Magdalen
St. Isaac Jogues
St. Therese of Lisieux
St. Thomas Aquinas

My confirmation name is Frances for St. Jane Frances de Chantal, my patron saint. She was friends with St.Francis de Sales.
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 6:10PM #4
friendofsaints&angels
Hey Prajna and Jane2, those are both very good lists. there are three Saints (well actually many Saints) that I don't know that much about, but I'm bound and determined too learn more about. the three that I want too learn more about besides Saint Francis of Assisi are- St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Augustine and St. Alphonsus. I have also heard about a Saint Juniper. I don't know anything about Him, but I guess he was around during the time of Francis of Assisi and from what I hear, He was a very Holy man. P.S. I was given a Saint Jude medallion when I made my first Communion. I don't know much about him either and I lost the medallion shortly after I had received it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 7:54PM #5
HappyMomof5
St. Marie Goretti. Patron saint of children. When I think of the love and faith that little girl had. It just makes me cry. She is one  try the most to be like. And of Course The blessed Mother.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 8:54PM #6
TemplarS
Saint Francis
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 9:01PM #7
friendofsaints&angels
Hey Happy Mom, I just watched a special on EWTN on St. Maria Goretti. it seems that she was really something special. She was 11 years old and it appears that she could teach many adults nowadays a thing or two, myself included.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 10:27PM #8
HappyMomof5
I must be tired. I forgot one important little word. I meant "she is the one I try to be like". That word I when missing brings a whole meaning to a sentence.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 09, 2008 - 11:19PM #9
jane2
When I was akid I thought it would be something to be like Jane Frances de Chantal; She was a noblewoman and lived in a castle. (My book of saints had pictures.)
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 10, 2008 - 12:58AM #10
rjak134
One of my favorite saints is St. Athanasius the Great, patriarch of Alexandria.  I very much admire his courageous struggle against the Arian heresy, a struggle which lead to his exile, not just once or twice, but five times!  Yet he returned in triumph each time, and died in relative peace in his home city.  His struggle turned his name into a proverb - Athanasius contra mundum (Athanasius against the world) - to represent the need to stand, even against the whole world, in order to uphold the true doctrine.  As part of his stand against Arianism, he also produced many sublime theological writing, most famously On the Incarnation of the Word of God, which is the deepest and most beautiful treatise on Christ's Incarnation that I know of.

Other than Athanasius, my favorite saints are by and large monks. (Athanasius, actually, had very close relations with many of the monks, and hid out among them during some of his exiles, and was important in mainstreaming monastic spirituality into regular Christian practice)  St. Anthony of the Desert as the father of the monks, and many of the other Desert Fathers like Pambo, Macarius, Poemen,and so forth are very admirable figures to me.  They exemplify total self-abandonment before God.  Some of them were quite well-to-do in the world before they went into the Desert, but they sold absolutely everything save for one ratty garment, which they would then wear for the rest of their lives, and spent their entire lives living in the Desert, often totally alone or with just one or two disciples, in prayer and fasting.  Reading the Sayings of the Desert Fathers the first time a couple years ago absolutely changed my life, both spiritually and academically, so they definitely take a high place on my list of favorite saints.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook