Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 28  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Belief Net Anti Catholic???
10 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 4:17PM #1
friendofsaints&angels
I can't help but to feel this way sometimes. Iv'e noticed the last few times that Iv'e logged in that they have different new members that you can meet, and videos that you can watch. they always seem to be advertising this guy from another faith dressed up as a catholic priest, making fun out of all of the things held sacred in the catholic church. I also get that religous news blog sent to my profile, and the only time I ever heard anything mentioned about catholisism, it was negative. the catholic debate,discussion,dialouge board, has no discussion or dialouge, but has plenty of debate, especially if your catholic. Iv'e noticed that particular board mostly consists of ex-catholics,non-cathoics,satanists,atheists, and people that just love to unload their hatred on catholics, and catholisism in  general. I have also noticed that you have to click on christian, then click on christian denominations, then click on catholic just to get here. In my personal opinion catholic is christian, and everybody else can call themselves christian, but I think only devout practicing catholics have the right to call themselves christians. I'm sorry if this is coming off as harsh, but thats just the way I feel sometimes. am I alone on this and just being a big baby? or does anyone else notice this, and your sometimes bothered by the catholic disrespect?
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 10:18PM #2
gilg

friendofsaints&angels wrote:

I think only devout practicing catholics have the right to call themselves christians. ... does anyone else notice this, and your sometimes bothered by the catholic disrespect?

Are devout practicing Catholics means they are true Christians because they don't deviate from following Christ? 

Perhaps I'm wrong, just an opinion, but I can't help thinking of the guy that Christ used as an example of who was practicing the two Great Commandments, it suggests to me that when you meet St Peter the main question will have to do with how closely you followed Christ in practicing loving your neighbor.

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 8:24AM #3
HappyMomof5
Anyone who follows the teachings of Christ are christains. Unfortunately there many misconseptions of catholisim out there. that is exactly what the evil one wants. Only with patience, sympathy and pray can we get through this. Also Christ gave us  some real good advice. ( my husband loves to quote this one) If you enter a village and they refuse to hear your message shake the dust from your feet and move on.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 9:27AM #4
Shaner

friendofsaints&angels wrote:

I can't help but to feel this way sometimes. Iv'e noticed the last few times that Iv'e logged in that they have different new members that you can meet, and videos that you can watch. they always seem to be advertising this guy from another faith dressed up as a catholic priest, making fun out of all of the things held sacred in the catholic church. I also get that religous news blog sent to my profile, and the only time I ever heard anything mentioned about catholisism, it was negative. the catholic debate,discussion,dialouge board, has no discussion or dialouge, but has plenty of debate, especially if your catholic. Iv'e noticed that particular board mostly consists of ex-catholics,non-cathoics,satanists,atheists, and people that just love to unload their hatred on catholics, and catholisism in general. I have also noticed that you have to click on christian, then click on christian denominations, then click on catholic just to get here. In my personal opinion catholic is christian, and everybody else can call themselves christian, but I think only devout practicing catholics have the right to call themselves christians. I'm sorry if this is coming off as harsh, but thats just the way I feel sometimes. am I alone on this and just being a big baby? or does anyone else notice this, and your sometimes bothered by the catholic disrespect?

Hi friends,
I like seeing the new members, I find that interesting.  I only click on those videos that may interest me, like anyone else I guess.  OH, that's Father Matthew, he's an Anglican Priest and wear's the same black cassock as our Priests do.... and his videos are terrific, imo, he's funny and educational at the same time.  He use's inclusive language and he's certainly not anti-Catholic!   I think you just got the wrong impression of the home page.

As for the Debate Board, I think its a bit misleading to call it Catholic Talk and Discussion, its always been about Debating, anyone from any of the other faiths, spiritual practises is welcome there to debate the merits of Catholicism and yes, of course you're going to find disgruntled ex-Catholics there as well.  I don't personally post over there, just doesn't interest me. 

You asked and I'll answer......yes, you're coming across way too harsh when you say "only devout practising Catholics have the right to call themselves Christian".   

I agree with Gil, if you follow the two most important Commandments that Jesus gave us, "Love God with your whole mind, body and soul and love your neighbour as yourself" as well as the Ten Commandments, I believe that's whats really important as a Christian. 

You're free to disagree though,

Peace,
Sandy

"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 11:49AM #5
jane2

In a galaxy far, far away some of us were taught NOT to wear our Faith on our sleeves. Emotional posts are rare from this cohort. I've noticed that in the South people talk faith in ordinary conversation and that's fine. Where I grew up it would be considered bad manners and not done.

Occasionally on this board some will get their knickers in a knot if one of us brings up a less orthodox point of view even though the POV is acceptable in many Church circles.
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 12:22PM #6
Shaner

jane2 wrote:

In a galaxy far, far away some of us were taught NOT to wear our Faith on our sleeves. Emotional posts are rare from this cohort. I've noticed that in the South people talk faith in ordinary conversation and that's fine. Where I grew up it would be considered bad manners and not done.

Occasionally on this board some will get their knickers in a knot if one of us brings up a less orthodox point of view even though the POV is acceptable in many Church circles.

Ohhh, you left yourself wide open for this one:

Occastionally on this Board some will get their knickers in a knot if one of us brings up an orthodox or moderate point of view even though the POV is acceptable in many Church circles.

Sandy

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 1:09PM #7
jane2

Shaner wrote:

Ohhh, you left yourself wide open for this one:

Occastionally on this Board some will get their knickers in a knot if one of us brings up an orthodox or moderate point of view even though the POV is acceptable in many Church circles.

Sandy

Not a problem for me. I enjoy a conversation with different POVs. I think the biggest problem for some may be considering Catholicism monolithic: it isn't and has never been since the days of Peter and Paul.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 1:48PM #8
Shaner
Happy to read that Jane,  :-).  It would make for a boring discussion if we all thought the same,

Peace,
Sandy
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 2:20PM #9
brjohnbc
"In my personal opinion catholic is christian, and everybody else can call themselves christian, but I think only devout practicing catholics have the right to call themselves christians."

With all due respect, not only was it a little harsh but rather offensive!

Fr. Matthew is great, I love his videos.  Now if anyone thinks he is over the top .. watch EWTN and in particular Mother Angelica.  She is a wonderful blessing with a sense of humour.  If your ever sitting in a crowded mall ... look at the people around you and you'll soon realize ... God does have a sense of humour!

Blessings
Br. John
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2008 - 4:38PM #10
Apishapa
When ministering in Juvenile Detention Ministry, many times when we are discussing our faith and the word Christian comes up,  a youth will say "I am not a Christian, I'm Catholic."   Perhaps in discussing their faith with other youths, the none-Catholic youths will tell them they are not Christian. 

I ask them if they believe in Jesus Christ, and that he loves them so much, He took all their sins to the cross, and if they have accepted Him as their personal Lord and Saviour.  When they respond yes, I explain that the word Christian comes from His name Jesus Christ--ian.   And that all religions that follow Jesus Christ's teachings are Christian, (I name a few for examples) whether Catholic, Baptist, Episcopalian, Methodist, Assembly of God, etc.

We are not to put a guilt trip on them.  They feel bad enough being there, knowing they have broken His law, so I try to explain Christianity in a way that will not cause more guilt.     

As I have mentioned on other Threads, I was baptized a Roman Catholic, and knowing who I am, a child of God, who loves me, went to the cross for me, is guiding me in all that I do,  what others have to say about me or my faith doesn't upset me. 

Not being judgemental, but our Catholic Church Hierarchy will have a lot for which they will have to answer, but then again so will I, and all those from other faiths.   We are all sinners, so just have to keep praying that God will help us become the Church He wants us to be.   

Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 28  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 28 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook