Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Please Share Your Favorite Catholic Prayers/Quotes
10 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2008 - 6:48PM #1
friendofsaints&angels
I'm starting this thread to share a couple of my favorite catholic prayers, and also some of my favorite quotes. please feel free to share some of  yours. I have a couple of prayers that I have written, but I wanted to post a couple of other ones that I found on line, and through my church. I also have a couple of quotes from two different Saints that I would like to share with you all. the first prayer is from a booklet that I found in my church, called-Prayer Time A Collection of Catholic Prayers.

Prayer of St. Ignatius of Loyala.

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty, my memory, my understanding, and my entire will, all that I have and possess. You have given all to me; to You, O Lord, now I return it; all is Yours, dispose of me wholly according to Your Will. Give me only Your love and Your grace, for this is enough for me. Amen.

A Payer for Trust and Confidence in God's Mercy. by Blessed St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina.

O Lord, we ask for a boundless trust in Your divine mercy, and the courage to accept the crosses and sufferings wich bring immense goodness to our souls and that of Your Church. Help us to love You with a pure and contrite heart, and to humble ourselves beneath Your cross, as we climb the mountain of holiness, carrying our cross that leads to heavenly glory. May we receive You with great faith and love in Holy Communion, and allow You to act in us as You desire for your greater glory. O Jesus, most adorable Heart and eternal fountain of Divine Love, may our prayer find favor before the Divine Majesty of Your heavenly Father. Amen.

The Quotes.
There is one God and one Christ, and one church, and one chair founded on Peter by the word of the Lord. It is not possible to set up another altar or for there to be another priesthood besides that one altar and that one priesthood. whoever has gathered elsewhere is scattering.  St. Cyprian, Letter to His clergy.

Saint Ignatius of Antioch, on the Eucharist.
"Every time this mystery is celebrated, 'the work of our redemption is carried on' and we ' break the one bread that provides the medicine of immortality, the antidote for death, and the food that makes us live forever in Jesus Christ'".
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2008 - 10:27PM #2
newsjunkie
dear friend,

I have posted this several times before, but it is still a favorite.

MY LORD GOD, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

- Thomas Merton, "Thoughts in Solitude"
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2008 - 11:29PM #3
jane2

One of my favorite short prayers is the Kyrie in Greek or English: Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy, Lord have mercy. I'm old enough to have learned it in Greek first.
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 6:19PM #4
friendofsaints&angels
Hey NJ and J2 thank you both for the input. I recently found a little booklet at my church, filled with all kinds of catholic prayers. its called-The Catholic Devotional. one of my favorite prayers that I have found in there is called-  Jesus Help Me!

In every need let me come to You with humble trust, saying, Jesus, help me!

In all my doubts, perplexities, and temptations, Jesus, help me!

In hours of loneliness, weariness and trials, Jesus, help me!

In the failure of my plans and hopes; in disapointments, troubles and sorrows, Jesus, help me!

When others fail me, and Your grace alone can assist me, Jesus, help me!

When I throw myself on Your tender love as a Brother and Saviour, Jesus, help me!

When my heart is cast down by failure to see any good come from my efforts, Jesus, help me!

When I feel impatient, and my cross irratates me, Jesus, help me!

When I am ill, and my head and hands cannot work and I am lonely, Jesus, help me!

Always, always, in spite of weakness, falls and shortcomings of every kind, Jesus, help me and never forsake me!
Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 6:22PM #5
friendofsaints&angels
A QUOTE FOR YOU ALL.

"The Eucharist is a priceless treasure: by not only celebrating it but also by praying before it outside of Mass we are enabled to make contact with the very wellspring of grace."
-Pope John Paul II
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2008 - 8:17PM #6
Mareczku
Yes, the Eucharist is our treasure.  One of my favorite prayers is the lamb of God.  I love this because I know it in 4 languages,  we often say it in Latin at Mass, Agnus Dei, our church has Mass in Spanish, Cordero de Dios, and Polish too, Baranku Boze.  I love to sing this prayer in these 4 languages.

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 1:08PM #7
Shaner
I have my own prayers that I say morning and night, but other than the "Our Father" I really love the prayer attributed to St. Francis, "Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace......."

Its such a beautiful, selfless prayer. 

One of my favorite Scripture quotes is:

I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. He who is a hireling and not a shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. He flees because he is a hireling and cares nothing for the sheep. I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me, as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.
John 10:11-15

I love the image of Our Lord as the Good Shepherd,

Peace,
Sandy
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 5:04PM #8
looshawn
I'm like you Sandy, with my own prayers every morning and night.

One of my favorite evening prayers is one of the Prayer of Petition, which I found in a booklet titled, "Treasury of Novenas."  I pray this one every night.

To Love God Above All

God, my Father,
may I love You in all things
and above all things. May I reach the joy
You have prepared for me in heaven.
Nothing is good that is against Your Will,
and all is good that comes from Your hand.
Place in my heart a desire to please You
and fill my mind with thoughts of Your love,
so that I may grow in Your wisdom
and enjoy in Your peace.

Lou
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 5:29PM #9
brjohnbc
Lord, take me where you want me to go;
Let me meet who you want me to meet;
Tell me what you want me to say
And keep me out of your way.

Fr. Mychal Judge, OFM
FDNY Chaplain
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 5:54PM #10
friendofsaints&angels
Salutation To The Blessed Virgin Mary

Hail, holy lady,
Most Holy Queen,
Mary, Mother of God,
Ever Virgin;
Chosen by the most holy Father in heaven, Consecrated by him, With his most holy beloved Son and the Holy Spirit, the comforter. On you descended and in you still remains all the fullness of grace and every good.
Hail, His palace.
Hail, His tabernacle.
Hail, his robe.
Hail, His handmaid.
Hail, His Mother.
And hail, all holy virtues,
Who, by the grace and inspiration of the Holy Spirit are poured into the hearts of the faithful so that, faithless no longer, They may be made faithful servants of God Through you.
     -St. Francis of Assisi
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook