Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Please Share Your Favorite Catholic Prayers/Quotes
10 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2008 - 12:53PM #31
Apishapa
Shaner   

Earlier you mentioned the The Good Shepherd.  That image is one of my favorites also.   

One of my favorite pictures (originally painted by Robert Hook) is one of Jesus as the Good Shepherd.   In this picture Jesus is leading his sheep, and carrying a lamb. 

I look at the face of Jesus and I see His mouth is partially open, as though he's speaking to the lamb.  "Do not be frightened little one, I wouldn't  have left you behind.  I'll always take care of you.  Rest now while I carry you.  I'll always carry you when you cannot make it on your own."   

There is peace and love in Jesus'  face.  There is contentment in the lamb's face,  and his mouth seem to be partially open also, as though he is responding to Jesus.   

"Thank you Master for carrying me.  I wandered off on the wrong path and got lost.  The grass was so tall and green, and it tasted so good.   I jumped, ran and played.  I was enjoying myself so much,  then I saw dark shadows moving in the thickets.  I became so frightened, I began to call and run, not knowing in which direction to go.  I was so relieved when I saw you coming back, looking for me.  I was so tired of running, I couldn't have gone much further."   

In the picture Jesus walks ahead of His sheep.  He doesn't drive them.  There are two sheep walking beside Him, perhaps the leader sheep (leadership).   

Jesus leads the way for us.   We are to follow, but sometimes we wander off, away from Him and His protection.  We can enjoy ourselves for a time, but then we become frightened when we realize the enemy is stalking us.  We run and call for help.  Jesus will always be there to keep us from harm.  He always finds us when we get lost.  He carries and comforts us until we are able to once again get back with the rest of the flock.  Jesus is always patient,  loving and ready to forgive.   

Jesus did not get angry with the lamb for wandering off, He knows the lamb has learned from the bad experience and is wiser for it.  Jesus was so happy He was able to find the lamb in time.  Now he's leading the flock to a new pasture.   

Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Feb 29, 2008 - 1:08PM #32
Apishapa
JoanTreese 

Wow!   Great history on the "Indian Prayer."   

I receive these prayers from some of the American Indian Schools which I support.  Perhaps the missionaries have given them these prayers.   

Two more:  "Great Spirit Grant that I may not criticize my neighbor until I have walked a mile in his moccasins." 

"O Great Spirit,
whose voice I hear in the winds,
and whose breath gives life to all the world,
hear me!  I am small and weak,
I need your strength and wisdom. 

Let Me Walk In Beauty, and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.

Make My Hands respect the things you have made and my ears sharp to hear your voice. 

Make me Wise so that I may understand the things you have taught my people. 

Let Me Learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock. 

I Seek Strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy---myself. 

Make Me Always Ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes. 

So When Life Fades, as the fading sunset, my spirit may come to you without shame."   

Praise God!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 10:44AM #33
Shaner
Very beautiful prayers, apishapa!

Enjoyed your prayer also Joan, nice to see you here again!

Peace,
Sandy
"Lord, to whom shall we go?  You have the Words of Eternal Life"
"Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Mar 02, 2008 - 4:49PM #34
friendofsaints&angels
Yes, I would agree with Shaner, those are both very nice. two of the prayers that I have been growing very fond of most recently are, the Rosary and all of the prayers that go along with it, and the Divine Chaplet of Mercy and all of the prayers that go along with it. they both command a little bit of time, but I think the Spiritual rewards are more than worth the time put in. also its not like I'm looking at a watch when I'm praying. when I start to pray, I could really care less about the time or any other worldly things around me for that matter.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 12:47PM #35
AK70
Oh Holy St Jude
Apostle and Martyr, great in virtue and rich in miracles, near kinsman of Jesus Christ, faithful intercessor of all those who invoke your special patronage in time of need...
To you I have reourse from theepth of my heart and humbly beg to whom God has given such great power to come to my assistance
Help me in my present urgent petition Lord and in return I promise to make your name known and cause you to be invoked
(3 Our Fathers, 3Hail Mary's. 3 Glory Be's)
Oh Holy St Jude, Pray for us and all those who invoke your aid
AMEN
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 10:59PM #36
Rgus
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement