Page 3 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why Are So Many Noncatholics Bothered By The Pope?
7 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2008 - 12:37PM #21
Agnes
dawngordon,

I do not believe this is a debate board.  Your bigoted and uniformed remarks are insulting to many Catholics.  You are obviously not a student of comparative religion.    Read some of Scott Hahn's books on Catholicism, he used to be a protestant minister and his teachings on Catholicism reflect his protestant background.  I can give you a list of authors and book titles if you want to learn.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2008 - 9:56PM #22
angpuppy

friendofsaints&angels wrote:

Not to long ago I was on the discussion, dialouge, and debate board, and I noticed that alot of noncatholics have a major problem with every other thing that the pope has to say. I don't think that the pope can tell you what you can eat for breakfast, But when he speaks about our faith I believe he does this majestarely, and makes no mistakes.
Besides GOD put him there so I obey his word. Alot of other people from different faiths are misinformed about what he says in the first place, Because they get what he said from the secular media and its usually twisted to their liking by the time the general public gets it. That is one of the reasons I gave up on secular radio and only will listen to relevant radio. http//www.relevantradio.com                 They actually have constant updates from the vatican on most of their commercial breaks, and as a catholic I thank GOD for this radio station. Why would people from other faiths be offended, or even care what the pope has to say anyway?   P.S. if you get a chance check out a priest on there called father john corapi. He explains the catholic faith like nobody Iv'e ever heard. He comes on daily at 10:00 a.m. central except on saturday when he's on at noon.

Relevant radio is a great network!  Do not forget to support it.  They won't mention it on the air, but I have a friend who works there, and they're really struggling financially, and its straining on the inter-office relationships.  They're good people though. 

As for the Pope, the Pope is only infallible when he speaks ex cathedra and that is pretty rare.  However, we've had two really great Popes in my lifetime.  They're very theologically sound.  I think a lot of people simply want religions all to meant into some generic spiritually.  Thus they get offended when our Pope reaffirms that we do believe we are the one true Church Christ established, not one of many alternative spiritualities that are all equal in their striving for the same thing.   The Church has never changed that teaching.  However, Pope John Paul II, in his striving to show respect for people's frevor toward their pursuit for God, God's love for them and for true religious devotion made people believe the Church was "progressing" down that route.

Its not that what the Pope said is truly offensive.  Its that what the Pope said is contrary to what people want to believe about religions anymore.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 2:10PM #23
Candlemass
I am trying to come to terms w/that teaching, being in Protestant land for years makes it hard to accept, though I will always consider my brothers and sisters in Protestant land just that, my brothers and sisters in Christ!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 8:06PM #24
Crickhollow
Well, I'm a Protestant who holds great affection for the Catholic side of the family.  Lots of Protestants are bothered by the idea of a Pope, but lots aren't.  We aren't all running around calling him the Anti-Christ.  That's mostly the rightest of the right-wingers.  I was really upset when JP II died, and I wasn't the only Protestant in my circle who walked around like they'd lost a friend.

I think what may bother many Protestants is what the papacy often seems to represent.  Not frequently the Christ he should (and we all should) represent, but things that theologically we don't understand.  Don't forget, none of the Protestants you come in contact with now were picketing at Nicea, or tearing down monasteries for the love of King Henry VIII.  Most of us were born Protestant like most of you were born Catholic.  Not all of us are anti-liturgy, sola scriptura, or once-saved-always-saved Christians.

I've been reading and watching and listening to the Catholic Church for a few years now.  To date, no one has been able to really explain to me how Marian Theology works.  It's not addressed simply by saying, "We don't worship her, for crying out loud".  There's more to it than that.  Or how theologically some of the Popes who were rennigade hedonists fit into the picture.  Quite honestly, I want someone to convince me.  Not because I'm dead set on having a debate, but because I've nowhere else to go.  I want to be proven wrong.  I don't  want to win at the expense of my soul.  But I can't pretend to believe what I don't, so I feel like I'm punished by both sides for being honest.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 9:08PM #25
Mareczku
Note to Dawngordon: "The Pope likes to think he God."  Is this the best you can do?  No Catholics compare the Pope to God.  He follows in the line of St. Peter and he is a servant of the people of God.  He is also a servant of God.  Mary is venerated in the Church.  Catholics constantly ask for her prayers.  Note from the Hail Mary, "Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners."  From the Hail Holy Queen, "Pray for us O holy mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.."  In regard to the Popes, many of the Popes were not the nicest of men.  Some were unworthy.  Some were saints.  No Catholic worships the Pope.  The Pope is only considered infallible when he speaks ex-cathedra.  This has only been invoked once in the last 100 years.  By no means is the Pope considered sinless or perfect.  If you talk to Catholics you will hear many of them criticize the current or past Popes for faults or failings.  But as humans we all have faults and failings. 

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 9:09PM #26
Mareczku
Hi Crickhollow.  I hope that my last post answered some of your questions.  Feel free to ask.  Thanks.

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2008 - 9:23PM #27
cswalters
When I talk to non-catholics for me the reason they do not like papal authority is because they don't understand what it means to have the pope chosen by God, nor do the fully understand why the Pope is considered "infallible". I would suggest reading a book like Papacy for dummies or something on those lines, also catholic.com and ewtn.com have a question and answer thing, which you might find information to argue with non-catholics about this subject.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 8:06PM #28
Crickhollow
Well, I'm a Protestant who holds great affection for the Catholic side of the family.  Lots of Protestants are bothered by the idea of a Pope, but lots aren't.  We aren't all running around calling him the Anti-Christ.  That's mostly the rightest of the right-wingers.  I was really upset when JP II died, and I wasn't the only Protestant in my circle who walked around like they'd lost a friend.

I think what may bother many Protestants is what the papacy often seems to represent.  Not frequently the Christ he should (and we all should) represent, but things that theologically we don't understand.  Don't forget, none of the Protestants you come in contact with now were picketing at Nicea, or tearing down monasteries for the love of King Henry VIII.  Most of us were born Protestant like most of you were born Catholic.  Not all of us are anti-liturgy, sola scriptura, or once-saved-always-saved Christians.

I've been reading and watching and listening to the Catholic Church for a few years now.  To date, no one has been able to really explain to me how Marian Theology works.  It's not addressed simply by saying, "We don't worship her, for crying out loud".  There's more to it than that.  Or how theologically some of the Popes who were rennigade hedonists fit into the picture.  Quite honestly, I want someone to convince me.  Not because I'm dead set on having a debate, but because I've nowhere else to go.  I want to be proven wrong.  I don't  want to win at the expense of my soul.  But I can't pretend to believe what I don't, so I feel like I'm punished by both sides for being honest.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 9:08PM #29
Mareczku
Note to Dawngordon: "The Pope likes to think he God."  Is this the best you can do?  No Catholics compare the Pope to God.  He follows in the line of St. Peter and he is a servant of the people of God.  He is also a servant of God.  Mary is venerated in the Church.  Catholics constantly ask for her prayers.  Note from the Hail Mary, "Holy Mary Mother of God, pray for us sinners."  From the Hail Holy Queen, "Pray for us O holy mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.."  In regard to the Popes, many of the Popes were not the nicest of men.  Some were unworthy.  Some were saints.  No Catholic worships the Pope.  The Pope is only considered infallible when he speaks ex-cathedra.  This has only been invoked once in the last 100 years.  By no means is the Pope considered sinless or perfect.  If you talk to Catholics you will hear many of them criticize the current or past Popes for faults or failings.  But as humans we all have faults and failings. 

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2008 - 9:09PM #30
Mareczku
Hi Crickhollow.  I hope that my last post answered some of your questions.  Feel free to ask.  Thanks.

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook