Switch to Forum Live View Acquiring and Sharing The Nature of God
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 4:48PM #1
spudette

Quote:

"So, how do we become like God? - That is, share his nature.  Jesus achieved it and he was human just like we are. Jesus spent every hour of every day in a spiritual realm with his Father.  And, that is how you become righteous."

Jimmy. I just now stumbled upon this thread, and I want to be clear about something: when you talk about sharing the nature of God, do you mean sharing His character? As human beings we cannot share His nature, which is divine. He is God. We are not, nor will ever be. Jesus didn't "achieve" God's nature, He already had it. Jesus is God, eternally self-existant. He said so Himslef:

John 8:57-59
57 The Jews therefore said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" 58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." 59 Therefore they picked up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple

This is the same God Who said to Moses at the burning bush, "Tell them that I AM sent you." But we can let Him mold our character according to His own. The idea that we can share in the divine nature is a lie told by Satan.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 5:00PM #2
lulu2

I suppose some people have yet to know that we too are Divine, not above Him, but within Him

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 7:01PM #3
spudette

Sorry, Lulu, the Bible doesn't teach that we are divine. It teaches that we are created beings. Only God is not created but eternally self-existant. That is what makes Him divine and us not. The fact that God created us in His image has nothing to do with our having or not having His nature. We don't. We're humans, and He is God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 2:47AM #4
Roodog

Lulu,

We may be created in God's image but we are not divine by any stretch of the imagination. When one is saved, it is by God's grace. Once saved the Holy spirit begins a life long process of sanctification. This restores the image of God spoiled by the Fall into sin. We will regain what Adam was and had before he fell into sin. but this in no wise divinity but perfect humanity.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 9:28PM #5
spudette

AMEN, Roodog. I couldn't have put it better. I'd like to add, I'm so glad we aren't divine. I want my God to be bigger than me. Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2009 - 9:36PM #6
Roodog

I don't want the job either, God can keep it.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2009 - 4:04PM #7
CalKnox

Jesus was not just human like us.  He was the eternal divine Son of God, through which all things were made.  He became flesh, taking on a fully human nature, retaining his full divine nature, both indivisible in one divine person.

Jesus is not the great example.  WWJD is nonsense.  We are unable to do what Jesus would do without a change of our sinful nature.  Even when we know what is right, we cannot do it.  Our best deeds and best intentions are tainted by sin.  We can not obtain a divine nature like Jesus.  We can be forgiven of our sin, made just and holy in God's sight, little by little made to love what Jesus loved, adopted as the sons and daughters of God, joint heirs with Jesus, and eventually glorified with him. We are not saved by our righteousness, but by Jesus' righteousness and perfect sacrifice to take away our sins.

Anyone distorting the divine and human natures of Jesus in one divine person misunderstands the scriptures and is not a Christian.  Anyone thinking he can be saved by becoming divine does not know the way of salvation by God's free grace through faith alone in the completed atoning work of Christ.

The original post of this thread is unbiblical damnable heresy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2009 - 5:59PM #8
spudette

Gal 2:20
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
KJV

Cal, I understand the above verse to mean that although I cannot do good, even when I choose to do so, He does it for me and in me. For example, if I want to forgive a wrong done to me by someone because I know that God wants me to forgive, I cannot on my own do the forgiving, but Christ living in me does the forgiving for me and credits it to me. I would appreciate your opinion on this.

Blessings,

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook