Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Greet new Catholic members
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2009 - 8:41AM #1
smitty5
Welcome to Catholism....

Please join us at www.john654.com.  This is a Catholic site and there is lots to learn- very friendly and set up similar to facebook.  Hope to see you.  Many blessings in your new found faith.  Two great things have happened in your life:
THE EUCHARTIST
THE BLESSED MOTHER
How fortunate you are - and blessed!
Maria
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 3:19PM #2
Phoenixbyrd

Hello! I'm new. I'm catholic as well. A Catholic teen! You can call me Byrd...Cool I am very ernest about my faith and I love it!LaughingThis is a cool place!!

Cya Round!

Tongue outByrd

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2009 - 12:43AM #3
Catemar

Since  I am in and out and sometimes feel left out - the sheep out of the fold, I hope I can use this as a haven and reminder of what is good about my cradle faith.

"What makes the desert beautiful,is that it hides a well somewhere"  The Little Prince
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2009 - 12:20AM #4
Catemar

I like the reaching out for fellow Catholics. Great idea. I would like a list of Patron Saints. Does anyone have one?

"What makes the desert beautiful,is that it hides a well somewhere"  The Little Prince
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 4:42PM #5
Laursaurus

Hello! My name is Laura and I'm new to the Beliefnet forums.

I was confirmed Catholic as an adult, in 2001.  I love this faith and am so grateful to have found a church I feel apart of. My youngest is in his 2nd year of First Communion, which is a home study in our area. It's a wonderful experience to share my faith with my children on such an intimate level.

All 3 of my kids were baptized in our church. DH and I had a sacramental marriage ceremony performed after my conversion. Participating in the Catholic faith has been my personal spiritual rebirth.

Laura
"Love with your heart. Use your head for everything else!
Captain Disillusion
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2009 - 9:02PM #6
Catemar

I am a cradle catholic. I just finished a bible study. I have five kids. Two were home schooled/Psr and they had the best communion. The second set of twins could care less with just PSR. They are all heathens now. We live in a conservative parish and were are progressive. We would like home masses and female and married priests. This is not the way of our current church. They are very nice but seem to be superfical in their theological thinking. I hope things continue well. One of the great things is that the Church is so universal. Right now we have to far to go to find "our" church. But we try to make do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2009 - 1:52PM #7
Derekj

"His second night in Talkingham, Hazel Motes walked along down town close to the store fronts but not looking in them. The black sky was underpinned with long silver streaks that looked like scaffolding and depth on depth behind it were thousands of stars that seemed to be moving very slowly as if they were about some vast construction work that involved the whole order of the universe and would take all of time to complete. No one was paying attention to the sky."
           From Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor

I write a blog called Paying Attention To The Sky under the pseudonym of Derek Jeter, and proclaim myself "an unknown yet consumate icon of the famed New York Yankee shortstop of the same name." I have been auditing courses from time to time in the Masters in Ministry Program at St. Johns Seminary in Boston. I  lived and worked 23 years in Japan and after returning to the states in 1994 worked in a series of Training and Curriculum Design positions at Boston area companies.

Right now I am semi-retired (working as a Sys Admin/Site Manager for a computer training center in Downtown Boston) and currently exploring (what the Catholic Church calls "discernment') his vocation with the Church.

I am dedicated to paying attention to the sky and other metaphors that echo the words of the apostle Paul in 1 Thessalonians 5:2 when he recalls Jesus' warning to his followers to be on the watch - a warning about expectation of the end-time, which will come upon sleeping humans like "a thief in the night" (Matthew 24:43).

Simone Weil urges a Christian poetic that insists on educating the reader into paying attention to people and to language and to things, because the cultivation of attention directed to the other (the suffering neighbor; the created order as God intended it, or shalom; the created order as it is, broken; and God) is fundamental to the ethics of Christianity.

One cannot love or help a person one refuses to listen to; one cannot redeem a world one doesn't look at; one cannot serve a God one doesn't engage with, ask questions of, listen to, study. And, as Weil points out, one cannot space out and pray, prayer demands attention. Perhaps a Christian poetic might insist on nourishing a broken faculty of the modern mind - attention.

If you visit the stadium in New York, you may see the real Jeter during long at bats for an opposing team's batter, scanning the sky and smoothing the ground in front of his position. You might even wonder what he is thinking about. Well, rest assured,  it's much the same as I write on my blog -- all part and parcel of the same thing, paying attention to the sky, alert to the next crack of the bat, anticipating the pitch.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2010 - 11:55AM #8
Dave_reinert

Hello...Please feel free to visit my forum Catholics Come Home located in this community. You can offer your input and offer your position on the positive and negative aspects of the Catholic Church in view of the cover-up of the scandal the church is trying to overcome. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 11:40AM #9
David

nice place here, indeed...trying to get in the swing of things and make some new friends...I am David and also a Catholic newbie!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 3:02PM #10
belleo

So nice to see you here David , welcome .  Marie

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement