Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View why do continue to be catholic?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2009 - 11:50AM #1
hoffstyle71
I fell into the Catholic Church looking for answers to a spiritual void I was having and after being with the Church for over a year the luster wore off quick.  Too many liberals and Secular Progressives, an almost "Mega Church" mentality where no one knows or cares about anyone else, and I just cannot get past this worship of idols, saints, and Mary.  Call it whatever you want, but it is what it is.

So in answer to the question originally, there's not a lot that I feel I would be able to change.  We have been sold a bill of goods on our salvation with the Church of Rome, and I think I would rather stay away.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2009 - 12:05PM #2
steve123
hoffstyle71,

So can a person be saved and be a member of teh RCC, in your opinion?

In what ways have we been sold a bill of goods from the RCC?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 26, 2009 - 2:48PM #3
My_King
Hoff,

Why did you even feel the need to comment on a Catholic board anyway?

I don't care much, just curious.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 12:55PM #4
PMG
In my case, there is no one answer to why I remain Catholic.  Part of it is my heritage, I grew up in an Irish Catholic family.  Part of it is habit; going to mass on Sunday and saying certain prayers during the week is part of what I do on a regular basis.  And, of course, there is conviction.  In particular, only in the Roman Catholic faith can one find the grace that comes through the sacramental system, which puts us in tangible touch with God in some form, and only here is there the communion of saints which provides love, friendship & support with those who have gone on before us.

Admittedly, I sometimes remain Catholic in spite of who the particular Pope might be or which Diocese I live in.  And I believe that using certain political issues to decide who is a "true Catholic" both unreliable and un-Catholic.

All told, I cannot see myself ever being anything except a Catholic.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2009 - 1:52PM #5
Pfp3160

PMG wrote:

In my case, there is no one answer to why I remain Catholic.  Part of it is my heritage, I grew up in an Irish Catholic family.  Part of it is habit; going to mass on Sunday and saying certain prayers during the week is part of what I do on a regular basis.  And, of course, there is conviction.  In particular, only in the Roman Catholic faith can one find the grace that comes through the sacramental system, which puts us in tangible touch with God in some form, and only here is there the communion of saints which provides love, friendship & support with those who have gone on before us.

Admittedly, I sometimes remain Catholic in spite of who the particular Pope might be or which Diocese I live in.  And I believe that using certain political issues to decide who is a "true Catholic" both unreliable and un-Catholic.

All told, I cannot see myself ever being anything except a Catholic.

Thank you for your post!  I tend to get so caught up in the negatives....I forget to remember why I converted in the first place.  I'm envious of your heritage and feel that is one of the reasons I have found it hard to stay in the Church....

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2009 - 2:10PM #6
PMG
PFP,

I grew up in the very early 1960s where Catholics were few in number and looked down upon by the "good Christians" in town.   A number of local businesses would not hire Catholics.  We Catholic children faced taunting and harrassment on the school busses.  And even alot of well-meaning people "felt sorry" for us.  Facing that kind of anti-Catholicism seared my Catholic identity into my psyche.  Although it sounds odd and some people won't accept this, I would still consider myself Catholic if I never stepped foot into a Church again.   Being Catholic isn't just a matter of where I kneel on Sunday, it's What I am.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2009 - 10:14PM #7
fishylishy

Dec 31, 1969 -- 6:00PM, Peter_d_roman wrote:

peace! i do not mean to start any fights with this question. it is just that i saw a topic that asked " why did you join the catholic church" and it struck me that i and every one i know were born into it. so there it is - if you please- why do you stay in the catholic church- and maybe more importantly- what would you change in it if you became pope later today? dear board manager- if you want to move this question to another board i will not complain- this is the only catholic board i know of. peace and good and lots o'love >o

## The only reason I stay in it is inertia. Seeing that you ask.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2009 - 11:05PM #8
belleo

I am Catholic because I know what hell I lived when I rejected Christ and his Church . I love the Mass . It is a great source of healing . Eucharist receiving the body and blood of Christ that is primary healing  for body and spirit . The sacrement of reconciliation is important to me ....

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2009 - 1:59PM #9
Future Catholic Priest

Dec 31, 1969 -- 6:00PM, Peter_d_roman wrote:

Prajna wrote:

PdR, Exactly what faith are you?

my faith is in Our Brother Way of and command to Love as He defined it; and as it is still stated during the prayer of consecration all over the world were ever His Perfect Work of Perfect Faith and Love is remembered with two or more present. but i was born into the roman church as well as being in receipt of its sacraments- i did attend holy week services in a n y c franciscan church. i dont think the focus is what we were or even what we are- after all Our Brother came to change the human heart from what it was to what it could yet be- so to our focus should be what will we become when His Love is made our hearts North Star? >o

So in other words, you are a non-denominational Christian (meaning you don't belong to any denomination) or a free-range Christian or somewhat Catholic believing in and worshipping what you know is right and true.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 06, 2009 - 11:41PM #10
Peter_d_roman

not that it matters much- but it was NOT i that started this thred.

peace and good and tons o'love

>o

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook