Switch to Forum Live View Manichaean / Manichaeism?
5 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 4:44PM #1
EyesoftheWorld
Hi. Does anyone know anything about Manichaeism? It seems somehow related to the Essene tradition. I have heard that Jesus was an Essene...
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2009 - 10:11PM #2
Liontozion

Manichean thought was a form of Gnosticism, closely linked to the ancient mesopotamian religions, that sprang up in the mid to late 3rd century CE following the life and death of the Iranian "prophet" Mani. Mani created a duelistic religion that incorperated aspects of orthodox christianity (a shakey term considering the power struggle going on in the early church at this time), Zoroastrianism, and Buddhism (which had found its way to the middle east via the Silk Road).

Mani considered himself the "messenger of light, the comforter incarnate, and the seal of the prophets who would bring a final revelation to the world". Mani said that all other religious traditions were contaminated versions of the original universal truth and that his final revelation would unite the world. Mani considered Yahshua (Jesus), Siddhartha (Buddha), and Zoroaster all as prophets none being of divine lineage though.

Yahshua would have had no contact with Mani and Mani would have had no contact with the traditional Essenes at Qumran or Mt. Carmel (if you accept that a community ever existed there) who had by this time been largely prosecuted to near if not entire extinction.

For further clarification on the traditions of Manicheanism and a translation of six of the seven canonical texts of the faith I would recommend "The Gnostic Bible" edited by W. Barnstone & M. Meyer which is where the majority of the information above came (paraphrased and reworded of course).

Hope this helps shed some light any further questions on Essenes (modern or historical) feel free to ask me and I will do my best to give you a satisfactory answer.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 10:15AM #3
christine3

Apr 16, 2009 -- 10:11PM, Liontozion wrote:

Manichean thought was a form of Gnosticism, closely linked to the ancient mesopotamian religions, that sprang up in the mid to late 3rd century CE following the life and death of the Iranian "prophet" Mani. Mani created a duelistic religion that incorperated aspects of orthodox christianity (a shakey term considering the power struggle going on in the early church at this time),

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2012 - 10:15AM #4
christine3

Manichean thought was a form of Gnosticism, closely linked to the ancient mesopotamian religions, that sprang up in the mid to late 3rd century CE following the life and death of the Iranian "prophet" Mani. Mani created a duelistic religion that incorperated aspects of orthodox christianity (a shakey term considering the power struggle going on in the early church at this time),

>>> I read that different sects rose up mid to late 3rd century.  Another important one is Mandaeanism.  The modern-day descendants are in Iran and Iraq, but also have been dispersed all over the world due to Middle East wars.  My comment is that early writers wrote about these Mesopotamian religions around 3rd century; they didn't spring up them.  It may be just that as Roman Catholicism took note of their religions as they were exterminating them, they were written of around 3rd century.  They actually existed thousands of years before.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook