Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Looking for a new church
9 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 11:31AM #1
ozee
My husband and I are looking for a new church. We have always been Presbyterian, but it appears that there is no room for conservatives in PCUSA. It causes us great distress. We believe that Jesus would have loved homosexuals, but would also have told them to "go and sin no more" like He told the prostitute. And certainly, considering how much Jesus loved children, He would have condemned abortion, no matter what the reason.

The minister who baptized me back in the mid-forties would not recognize the church today. Please help us find what we are trying to find.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2008 - 5:06PM #2
billandted
There's a survey called Belief-O-Matic (I think) here at Beliefnet.

http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainment/ … Matic.aspx

It should give you an inkling.  I've found the "official" Beliefnet surveys to be pretty accurate, at least applied to me.

There's a new group called the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.  The way mainline churches are fragmenting, it's hard to believe that there's not some conservative version of what you're looking for.  You may have to adapt and enter another denomination which reflects your beliefs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2008 - 9:45PM #3
Lookbeyond
[QUOTE=ozee;903825]My husband and I are looking for a new church. We have always been Presbyterian, but it appears that there is no room for conservatives in PCUSA. It causes us great distress. We believe that Jesus would have loved homosexuals, but would also have told them to "go and sin no more" like He told the prostitute. And certainly, considering how much Jesus loved children, He would have condemned abortion, no matter what the reason.

The minister who baptized me back in the mid-forties would not recognize the church today. Please help us find what we are trying to find.[/QUOTE]

The Church of Jesus Christ, of Latter-day Saints invites you to learn more of it's beginnings and teachings. As a convert to the Church of over 50 years, I have found it's teachings to be in harmony with the Bible, and have also found that it is a "living religion"....one that believes in living Apostles and Prophets. Ephesians 4:11-14 describes the Church of Jesus Christ of the New Testament......and how long it was intended to remain on the earth...."until we all come in the unity of the faith, of the knowledge of the Son of God......."  Because of the corruption and changes in the ordinances and teachings of the Church a great apostasy took place and the world wandered in darkness for many generations having only fragments of truth to cling to until the promised restoration of all things took place. I submit to you that that restoration has taken place and the Church of Jesus Christ is now upon the earth as it once was, with all the power and authority given to a Prophet of God and Twelve Apostles to carry forth the work of the Lord in preparation of the earth for the Second Coming of the Savior.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 12:17AM #4
mom-6
I've found in moving around in years past, and in contemplating moving again, That churches (of every denomination) differ from one congregation to another and from one location to another. 

You may well be able to find a Presbyterian congregation that is more conservative than your current one. 

You may also want to consider some other denominations (or nondenominational churches). 

One that we were a part of for a time was the Christian Missionary Alliance.  I know it is a fairly small denomination and does not have congregations everywhere, but it would be one to look for in your search.

Another is Brethren or United Brethren.  One of my co-workers attends that church and I was quite impressed with it.  It is also a relatively small denomination that you don't find just everywhere, but is worth the trouble of looking for.

I would recommend visiting a number of different churches for a time until you find 'the one'.  I firmly believe that God will lead you to the spot where you can grow in Him and help others to do so as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 8:22AM #5
Kevinponeill
[QUOTE=ozee;903825]My husband and I are looking for a new church. We have always been Presbyterian, but it appears that there is no room for conservatives in PCUSA. It causes us great distress. We believe that Jesus would have loved homosexuals, but would also have told them to "go and sin no more" like He told the prostitute. And certainly, considering how much Jesus loved children, He would have condemned abortion, no matter what the reason.

The minister who baptized me back in the mid-forties would not recognize the church today. Please help us find what we are trying to find.[/QUOTE]
Why not stay and try to understand the progressive point of view?  IMHO Christians move away from each other when they need to be listening and understanding each other more.

I am a Progressive Christians.  I would find it easier and more encouraging to be in a congregation that you describe :) You would likely find my congregation more to your liking!

Perhaps God is using our differences to teach us (not that everyone is right but perhaps these type of situations may help us develop spiritually). I try to "speak the truth" in love, and honestly listen to the "other side".  I believe this allows us to grow in Christ, as we struggle to love one another in spite of our differences.  That does not mean we need to change our positions, just understand one another.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 8:08PM #6
bytebear

SunnyMuffin wrote:

I don't really agree with how everyone is just telling you to join their own religion, instead of finding out what is truly best for you.

I would agree if they were telling the OP to join a liberal church, but given the responses, and the issues brought up by the OP about conservatism, and a respect for gays but a condemnation of sin, I think they are spot on with the recommendations I have read.  Well, maybe not the progressive Christian.  That seems a bit contradictory.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 23, 2009 - 12:25AM #7
Gospeltruth

I use to think the same thing when searching for a church home, then I let go & let God take over. I noticed other Latter Day Saints on here as well. I'm a former member.Now I attend the Community of Christ church or (RLDS)as once known. i can't tell you where to go, but  I can say to ask God where he wants you to be. Here is a link to the congregational homepage I go to just incase you're curious, but if you want to stay with your denomination then maybe do a google search or ask a pastor at one of your churches?

www.cofchrist.org   

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 1:45AM #8
Roodog

Stick to the Book: find a church that teaches the Bible clearly and faithfully. I'd invite you to visit the nearby Southern Baptist Church. They would be happy to help you sort things out.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 3:01PM #9
Bevo

The Evangelical Presbyterian church is a very good church.  There's a very successful one near me here in Houston.  However, I couldn't be a part of this church because of their views on the doctrine of election.

I also always encourage folks looking for a new church home to check out the Vineyard church.  The Vineyard was founded in 1983 and there are currently several thousand Vineyard churches throughout the country and the world.  It's a very cool church that actually "does the stuff."

But based on your background, I suspect an Evengelical Presbyterian church would be a good fit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 5:48PM #10
older

So You are looking but are you using the bible to decide? Jesus said my followrs are no part of the woerld... So what does that mean? If you look into historical accounts, you many find an answer.  Jesus was on earth and born in the nation of Isrel. They should have been looking  for  the one identifed in the bible. He was born to be king of Jews. Ez. 21: 26 tells that he would have the legal right to be king. So in his geneology he would be born in the line of kings, and the family of David, and be born of a virgin and  be called out of Egypt. Those are only a few that tell of Jesus before he was born. And there are  about 300 prophecies that he  was identified by. Yet the rulers of Israel did not want  him to be king and perecuted him instead.  Why did they not want him to be king? Because they had prominient places in Israel. So they made up excuses  to have him killed. 

Jesus told his followere they persecuted me, they will also persecute you.  He also said all the nations will persecute you... does that tell you anything? The  nations are against the true followers of Christ, and  the religions that  promote their national  importance are not truly his followers.  So  if Jesus said  my followers are no part of the  world, his true followers will not be involved in politics. That was true  in the eartly Christian congregation. They would not take political office.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook