Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
5 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2008 - 12:03PM #1
steve123
Does anyone have any knowledge of Stephen Ministry?  I wanted to get into this, but we don't do it at our church.  Any suggestions on where to go to get information, and also how to start one up in a church?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2008 - 5:00PM #2
rbchaddy2000
I think that they have a website. The ministry is interdenominational, and I think wonderful. A rite of healing is practiced. The new Evangelical Lutheran Woship book has a healing rite on pages 276-78. Lutherans see unction as a rite not as a sacrament and/or sacramental practice. Go for it. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 10:52AM #3
steve123
http://www.stephenministries.org/

I found the website.  I'm going to see if our pastor has any interest in this so we could start this up in our congregation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 2:59PM #4
tawonda
It's a good idea to get someone in the congregation on board who has some expertise in crisis counseling, therapy or other "people" discipline. One of the ELCA churches in my area has a great Stephen Ministry team, and part of that is due to the coordinator's experience as a hospice director.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 5:30PM #5
TOMinAZ
My former congregation had a very active Stephen Ministry, but my current one doesn't. I just might ask about it soon. Hm.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 18, 2008 - 3:25PM #6
VBallR
Yes, my congregation has a Stephen Ministry program.  My brother (who's name happens to be Stephen coincidentally) joined the program.  It does take many hours of training to complete the program. I know of many in our church who have benefitted from the program as well.  I think it is a very worthwhile endeavor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2008 - 1:57PM #7
malanga
Would someone explain to this poor old Papist what the Stephen Ministry is?  Thanks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 6:42AM #8
steve123
Hi malanga,

From the website:

"The Stephen Series is a complete system for training  and organizing lay people to provide one-to-one Christian care to hurting people in and around your congregation.

The Stephen Series provides congregations with the structure, training, and resources to set up and administer a complete system for lay caring ministry (called Stephen Ministry) in the congregation. In Stephen Ministry congregations, lay caregivers (called Stephen Ministers) provide one-to-one Christian care to the bereaved, hospitalized, terminally ill, separated, divorced, unemployed, relocated, and others facing a crisis or life challenge. Stephen Ministry helps pastors and congregations provide quality caring ministry for as long as people need it."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 11:04AM #9
malanga
Thank you Steve123 for that explanation.  A most noble and compassionate ministry!  It makes me feel good to know others out out there taking Christ's instruction to love they neighbor seriously.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 12:27PM #10
Yankeerugger
http://www.churchofthemaster.com/stephen.htm

this is a link to a local Lutheran church (Omaha Nebraska) that has a very active one...

this link also helps explain what these people do.

you may try calling/emailing someone at this congregations
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook