Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Tithing or Giving as Prospered
5 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 12:02PM #1
imsavedru
Do you tithe? Some christian churches say this is the only biblical way to give to the Lord.  Other churches believe that you are to give as prospered.

How do you give to the Lord (if at all) and what do you base that on?

Please NO amounts and NO names.

Claudia
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2008 - 8:52PM #2
MarGal
[QUOTE=imsavedru;887713]Do you tithe? Some christian churches say this is the only biblical way to give to the Lord.  Other churches believe that you are to give as prospered.

How do you give to the Lord (if at all) and what do you base that on?

Please NO amounts and NO names.

Claudia[/QUOTE]
I believe in giving as we prosper. The 10% that tithing stands for is a good place to start, but my giving goes up as my income does. My income being...my SS check and the interest from my investments.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2008 - 9:10PM #3
imsavedru
Hi MarGal-

Thanks for your input.  I am always interested in how we serve our Lord "together". The Lord knows the intention of our hearts and whether it be 10% or as prospered the real clincher in scripture seems to be on the giver being "cheerful" and not giving  out of obligation and begrudgingly.

Personally, I have done both.  My husband has been taught that tithing is the way to go - and it certainly is a good concept if not done for legalistic reasons (that it is the ONLY way to give and that scripture commands it in the New Testament- because it certainly does not). I have also given as prospered but found that I actually give less when I do that because there is no standard -but rather a perspective on what the "prospering" is worth.  I give more when we give 10% -I have found.

The Old Testament speaks of tithing but it was not only tithing of money but possessions.  So, in essence, are we really considered tithers if we only give of our money and nothing else? The New Testament does not speak of tithing but it can be implied.(since we have Jesus and the Jews did not)  Sometimes I find that people who dont tithe actually dont tithe because they have to give more.

Kind of a catch-22 isnt it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 01, 2008 - 9:18PM #4
MarGal
[QUOTE=imsavedru;929747]
The Old Testament speaks of tithing but it was not only tithing of money but possessions.  So, in essence, are we really considered tithers if we only give of our money and nothing else?
[/QUOTE]

We just talked about this in Wed. night bible class:) Usually giving 10% of out money is much easier than 10& of our possessions and especially of our time!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 4:01PM #5
Mistah
I give what makes me comfortable....as i take it from the new testament you give as you have been prospered...yes...but at the same time do it not grudgingly or because of necessity because God loves a cheerful giver...so what if 10% makes you mad or you cant afford it and your bills???..that makes it grudingly ... and doing it just because u feel that you have to would make it a necessity because youre not giving from your heart.... God doesnt tell you what to give but he does tell you to do it happily (if you have it)...if you dont have any you still come to worship with the mindstate of a giver who would have gave and God will understand (as long as you havent blown your money and got broke before sunday morning spending on something thats not important)...lol
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 4:01PM #6
Mistah
I give what makes me comfortable....as i take it from the new testament you give as you have been prospered...yes...but at the same time do it not grudgingly or because of necessity because God loves a cheerful giver...so what if 10% makes you mad or you cant afford it and your bills???..that makes it grudingly ... and doing it just because u feel that you have to would make it a necessity because youre not giving from your heart.... God doesnt tell you what to give but he does tell you to do it happily (if you have it)...if you dont have any you still come to worship with the mindstate of a giver who would have gave and God will understand (as long as you havent blown your money and got broke before sunday morning spending on something thats not important)...lol
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 12:39PM #7
imsavedru
And that really IS the key , isnt it!  To not only give from a "happy" heart ,but not to have blown your money for selfish reasons and then say you cant give God anything! *SMILE*
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 1:27PM #8
Clydson
Greetings all.

There is another aspect to obeying God's command to give.  Paul wrote;

2 Cor 8:13
13 For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened
NKJV

I did not include the context of this verse, but it is a very well known context.  Paul is not speaking from divine command, but rather a simple advisory based on common sense (which I believe was inspired by God).  Some of us are lead by our emotions and passions when we respond to someone in need.  Paul is simply saying that it is not a good idea to allow our emotion to sway or determine the amount of our giving.  If we give beyond our ability, we may then become in need of help and a burden on others.

In the previous verse he wrote, "For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have."

If we don't have it to give, don't give it... it's very good advice.  This verse may very well be the conception of the adage, "It's the thought that counts."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 3:20PM #9
Mistah

In the previous verse he wrote, "For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have."

If we don't have it to give, don't give it... it's very good advice. This verse may very well be the conception of the adage, "It's the thought that counts."

This is the scripture i was referring to but didnt quote in my last post on this topic...

Its not just saying if you dont have dont give...Its just showing that God looks upon the hearts(MINDS) of when...The Willing heart of a man that doesnt have is looked upon the same as a willing man who does have to give...both are givers and both gave "SPIRITUALLY"...good post Clydson,most people dont know about that scripture.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 4:01PM #10
Clydson

Mistah wrote:

This is the scripture i was referring to but didnt quote in my last post on this topic...

Its not just saying if you dont have dont give...Its just showing that God looks upon the hearts(MINDS) of when...The Willing heart of a man that doesnt have is looked upon the same as a willing man who does have to give...both are givers and both gave "SPIRITUALLY"...good post Clydson,most people dont know about that scripture.

Greetings Mistah.

One of the reasons a lot of good folk don't know about this teaching is that they pay too much attention to those televangelists who are unwilling to deal with it.  They would not prosper nearly as much if they taught it, so they hope no one finds out about it.  In fact, the teaching is in direct conflict with what a lot of them do teach.  Nevertheless, some good folk would evidently rather remain ignorant of the sum of God's words, truth, Ps 119:160; Hos 4:6.

Thanks for your kind words, Mistah, I truly appreciate it.

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook