Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Checking in -- and where IS everybody?
6 years ago  ::  Nov 04, 2008 - 8:40PM #1
Vanessa86
Circumstances have kept me off the board for a while, but I am now in Austin working on the Hurricane Ike disaster, and will have a little time in the evening to hang out. One question, though: I"m sitting here in my hotal room eating a big ol' plate of pasta primavera and wondering: Is there anyone here to hang out with? Where'd everybody go?

And just to get things started, here's a question: Is there a place where you feel closer to God, or the Spirit? Just curious where folks feel closest to the Creator.

As for me, this year, I've had two spiritual epiphanies (or, as close to such epiphanies as I get. I've never felt God ever spoke to me directly, as He did to, say, Moses). Anyway, both occurred when I was at my home church sitting in the choir loft, which is normally a hotbed of sarcasm and other cuttin' up and foolishness.

Guess I'm closer to God on the second floor!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 11:08PM #2
mitchel1
[QUOTE=Vanessa86;872624] Where'd everybody go?![/QUOTE]

I think the Disciples board has died from apathy. Sound familiar?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 11:08PM #3
mitchel1
[QUOTE=Vanessa86;872624] Where'd everybody go?![/QUOTE]

I think the Disciples board has died from apathy. Sound familiar?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2008 - 10:10PM #4
mecdukebec
I, for one, am around.   I just find this board pretty dead, so I check it, once a day, to see whether the corpse has life, post Easter.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 13, 2008 - 10:26PM #5
Vanessa86
So let's be Lazarus and throw off the shroud! Surely there is something a bunch of smart Christians could find to chat about.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 7:15PM #6
mecdukebec
Okay, is God dead.  DIscuss.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 11:19PM #7
Vanessa86
Well, if God is dead, how is it that I am still alive? And how do I know I am alive? To paraphrase Descartes to fit my personal situation, "I screw up regularly and spectacularly, therefore I am." I gotta figure, if God dies, we all go too, right?

I could be convinced, however, that God is napping. Maybe 2,000 years is, in eternal terms, the equivalent of a 30-minute power nap for a middle-aged executive. That's why no burning bushes, etc., in the last few millenia: God's napping!

Discuss.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 15, 2008 - 6:44AM #8
mecdukebec
Okay, sort of a related question, in re: God`s being alive:  If our Movement began as a Christian movement for unity and restoration (and it did), then what did our people ever say about the Risen Christ as one who makes disciples today.  Part of my own particular struggle to understand whether the Stone-Campbell movement is a particularly relevant tradition today, or just a period-piece of the 19th century; given our 2 branch cousins, one of which is centred on restoring NT Christianity, and thus frozen into a time 2 000 years ago, and the other, independents, which has gone the way of milquetoast evangelicalism, what is the DoC way:  Discuss!  Oh, and please not just the rote answer, `Christian unity and our place on the Councils of Churches.``

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2008 - 10:17PM #9
Vanessa86
I am much sounder on napping God theories than on what makes me a Disciple and how I differentiate my church from the others in the Stone Campbell movement! I guess I have never bothered to really look at the movement and decide how or if it is relevant today. I leave that you intellectual types! So...

God prefers cotton to sequins. Discuss.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 12:16AM #10
Tricia3718
In some ways, we have acomplished what Stone-Campbell set out to achieve.  Most denominations practice open communion now, for instance, and the Council of Churches is an issue dear to us.  So do we forge ahead and find new issues where we can lead.  Or do we sit around patting ourselves on the back.  Sorry, I tend to rant.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook