Switch to Forum Live View Could someone with a Book of Discipline 2004 or later...
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2008 - 10:19PM #1
120inna55
...please look this up for me.

I have a United Methodist Church Book of Discipline 1980, but I need someone to look something up for me in the more recent book (which I guess until January would be 2004).

At our charge conference we are always asked to name a trustees chairperson for the upcoming year.  Most of the members understand that this contradicts the book of discipline which states that the Board of Trustees must meet within 30 days of the beginning of the the calendar year and elect their own chair (in other words, it is beyond the bounds of the nominating committee to name a chair of the board of trustees).

This year, I'm looking to quote Chapter, Section, and Paragraph from the Book of Discipline to justify to the conference leader why we should not and will not name a chair during the charge conference.

In my old Book of Discipline (1980) it is found on page 595 which is Chapter 8, Section 7, Paragraph 2524.

UMC.org archives denote the same verbage as Paragraph 2529, but they don't say which chapter and section.  The link is here: http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=1&mid=2630

Additionally, could someone tell me exactly how I should reference this in text?  i.e. What are the correct abbreviations/notations to use in a footnote?

Thanks for your time.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2008 - 7:53PM #2
ExplorinMN
Just got the 2008 edition on 24 December.

The part you are looking at is on page 721.  It is the same wording in the same paragraphs as your link.  I think they are looking at paragraph 246 on page 159 concerning The Charge Conference.

Brad Spear
Grace UMC
Burnsville, MN

[QUOTE=120inna55;854828]...please look this up for me.

I have a United Methodist Church Book of Discipline 1980, but I need someone to look something up for me in the more recent book (which I guess until January would be 2004).

At our charge conference we are always asked to name a trustees chairperson for the upcoming year.  Most of the members understand that this contradicts the book of discipline which states that the Board of Trustees must meet within 30 days of the beginning of the the calendar year and elect their own chair (in other words, it is beyond the bounds of the nominating committee to name a chair of the board of trustees).

This year, I'm looking to quote Chapter, Section, and Paragraph from the Book of Discipline to justify to the conference leader why we should not and will not name a chair during the charge conference.

In my old Book of Discipline (1980) it is found on page 595 which is Chapter 8, Section 7, Paragraph 2524.

UMC.org archives denote the same verbage as Paragraph 2529, but they don't say which chapter and section.  The link is here: http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=1&mid=2630

Additionally, could someone tell me exactly how I should reference this in text?  i.e. What are the correct abbreviations/notations to use in a footnote?

Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2008 - 7:53PM #3
ExplorinMN
Just got the 2008 edition on 24 December.

The part you are looking at is on page 721.  It is the same wording in the same paragraphs as your link.  I think they are looking at paragraph 246 on page 159 concerning The Charge Conference.

Brad Spear
Grace UMC
Burnsville, MN

[QUOTE=120inna55;854828]...please look this up for me.

Thanks for your time.[/QUOTE]
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2008 - 7:09AM #4
120inna55
Thank you so much!
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook