Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Teach Kids Chrstmas??
9 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 1:00PM #1
Mistah
This Goes out to whoever reads this...whether you're C.O.C. or just browsing? I'm Bored and need descussion..haha

...I'm Just Interested in What People Teach Their Kids About Christmas?? If You Dont have any kids,then what do you believe about it?? Is it worth the time??

just questions
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 11:21AM #2
MarGal
[QUOTE=Mistah;957764]This Goes out to whoever reads this...whether you're C.O.C. or just browsing? I'm Bored and need descussion..haha

...I'm Just Interested in What People Teach Their Kids About Christmas?? If You Dont have any kids,then what do you believe about it?? Is it worth the time??

just questions[/QUOTE]

I remember years ago the preacher would never even mention Christmas from the pulpit. Now our preacher this past Sunday did his whole sermon on Christmas and how we should be happy that at least once a year most of the world recognizes the birth of our Lord.

I have always been conflicted about celebrating Christmas...and Halloween too actually. Our Christmas has always been a celebration of family and love and goodwill to others....and lots of presents of course:) Our family has a "Santa Christmas" with lots of shared family meals and gatherings. At the day of judgement we may all be condemned for taking part in this celebration  but I feel like so much love is generated at this time of year,maybe it's not a bad thing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 10:36PM #3
Mistah

MarGal wrote:

I remember years ago the preacher would never even mention Christmas from the pulpit. Now our preacher this past Sunday did his whole sermon on Christmas and how we should be happy that at least once a year most of the world recognizes the birth of our Lord.

I have always been conflicted about celebrating Christmas...and Halloween too actually. Our Christmas has always been a celebration of family and love and goodwill to others....and lots of presents of course:) Our family has a "Santa Christmas" with lots of shared family meals and gatherings. At the day of judgement we may all be condemned for taking part in this celebration but I feel like so much love is generated at this time of year,maybe it's not a bad thing.

That all seems good and all if you ask me...i dont think you'll be condemned for coming together and having a good time with your family...i think if you tell your kids that jesus was actually born on that day..then there's the problem...the unknown stuff  makes you lie...lol...if he's mad about anything,the lord would be mad about people guessing his birthday and saying its a fact...he also might be angry about people actually celebrating something that he didnt tell us to recognize......???..

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 9:28PM #4
Campbellite
The Scriptures tell us that Jesus, on the cross, told John to care for his mother Mary after he died. Early church history says that she remained with him in Jerusalem until she died. Luke lived there, too. It was from her that Luke learned the stories that we have about Jesus birth. Those same histories say that according to Mary herself, the annunciation from the angel Gabriel (it's in the Book), happened on March 25th. This became the earliest date commemorated by the first century church.

Now we all know how long pregnancy lasts. Do the math.
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 1:13AM #5
Mistah
What Book told you the date??
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 2:31PM #6
Campbellite
I take it you haev read the book of Luke? Mary agreeing to be the Mother of our Lord?

The exact date is not recorded there, but contemporary accounts tell us it was 25 March. Of course, you are not compelled to believe those accounts if you chose not to.
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2008 - 1:26AM #7
Mistah

Gerald Karr wrote:

I believe that no one knows when Christ was born. It won't get us into heaven anyway. There is nothing wrong with teaching about his birth weather it be on Dec. 25th or June 9th etc. The real problem comes when we lie to our children about Santa Claus. God say's he hates a liar. Satan has used this to make christians lie to their kids for years. There is no such thing as a white lie. A lie is a lie.

You're definately right...It wont get us to heaven...this is more the reason the bible doesnt tell us to recognize this. Unlike his death,which he tells us to recognize everytime we take communion. These kind of lies are going to mess things up for a lot of good people.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2008 - 1:48AM #8
Mistah

Campbellite wrote:

I take it you haev read the book of Luke? Mary agreeing to be the Mother of our Lord?

The exact date is not recorded there, but contemporary accounts tell us it was 25 March. Of course, you are not compelled to believe those accounts if you chose not to.

Campbellite...yes I'm familiar with the gospel according to ST.Luke and Mary being the mother of jesus...Im just a little concerned about you going further than the bible for information to call valid...when all that we need to know is right there...you don't wanna be condemned for adding to or taking away from the Scriptures...i do study other things myself,but its only out of curiosity,not for me to feel that i am getting 100% accurate information....I dare not put anybodys word's (about God) as truth if i cant find it in Gods words...some things were meant to be a mystery...maybe if we live right we can ask God some day.:cool:

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2008 - 7:57PM #9
imsavedru
Mistah -Now your doin it ,,,, bringing up a controversial issue....... (you sound like me) LOL.

The holiday of Christmas is a worldly idea; however,the meaning and reason for celebrating is instilled in many Christians-and can be used as an example to the world of a reason for hope.  Unfortunately I see few Christian examples ..

For instance......dont we all get lost in the idea of presents - both giving and getting- in order to increase our pleasure here on earth? This is the flesh.

This is what my family does.  We start off on Christmas Eve with a reading of the birth of Christ in Luke (while sitting in a circle) and then we go around the circle and each member of the family speaks of the meaning of Christ's birth to us personally and how His birth gives us a hope for the future.  Both adults and kids speak of what they want to give to Jesus in the coming year in order to honor His death for their sins. Then we hold hands and pray for each other to seek His will and to perceive His direction in all aspects of our life. Then when we give presents..... it is symbolic of the present that God gave to us - His only son.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2008 - 1:02PM #10
Mistah

imsavedru wrote:

Mistah -Now your doin it ,,,, bringing up a controversial issue....... (you sound like me) LOL.

The holiday of Christmas is a worldly idea; however,the meaning and reason for celebrating is instilled in many Christians-and can be used as an example to the world of a reason for hope. Unfortunately I see few Christian examples ..

For instance......dont we all get lost in the idea of presents - both giving and getting- in order to increase our pleasure here on earth? This is the flesh.

This is what my family does. We start off on Christmas Eve with a reading of the birth of Christ in Luke (while sitting in a circle) and then we go around the circle and each member of the family speaks of the meaning of Christ's birth to us personally and how His birth gives us a hope for the future. Both adults and kids speak of what they want to give to Jesus in the coming year in order to honor His death for their sins. Then we hold hands and pray for each other to seek His will and to perceive His direction in all aspects of our life. Then when we give presents..... it is symbolic of the present that God gave to us - His only son.

Controversy has to be settled because that means theres confusion somewhere....but i like "your Christmas" You seem to be one of the first person to seem to be doing a good job of convincing me that the Holiday can be "religeous"...most people go on and end up in some other boat full of lies and other things that have nothing to do with Christianity at all...if i were at your house,i would consider this holiday a Christian holiday...I still consider it at most places a scheme to help give the economy a last minute boost before the years over.

Next question...how could something be considered a holiday when we cant even agree on one way to celebrate it...to some its strictly "Santa's Day"... (don't shoot me yall...im just the messenger :D)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook