Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2008 - 4:20PM #1
Eddie13
I am a catholic  who is learning about other christian denominations.  I do not mean this to offend anyone, but feel i should bring it up, from what i know about oneness pentacostal belief there is really no difference between oneness and trinitarianism.  Trinitarians believe that there is one god in three person father, son and holy spirit, oneness pentacostals believe that god is one  that god the father, jesus christ and the holy sprit are all aspects of this god.  It seems to me that the only difference between the two belief systems is that oneness pentacostals, consider the word trinity to be pagan and so use the word oneness instead. Is this understanding of oneness belief accurate? If not could someone explain the difference between trinitarianism and oneness? If it is accurate why is the word trinity so offensive to you?

thank you   Eddie
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2008 - 8:47PM #2
Eddie13
I understand that oneness pentacostals believe that baptism should be only in the name of Jesus. However that did not answer my question. I asked for someone to explain the difference between the trinity and the  oneness view of god.  My understanding was that the oneness belief was that the god of the old testemant (the father) Jesus christ, and the holy  spirit, were all aspects of the same god , which is the same belief that trinitarians hold. i trying to find out if my understanding was correct. i feel that the way phrased the question before was clear, and find the fact the i did not  get a direct answer as proof of why i have always been taught that fundamentalists are close minded and reufse to respond to anything could force them to admit they are wrong
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2008 - 10:00AM #3
malanga
Thank you Bro. Steve Winter for your two posts.  After reading them my faith in the Catholic Church has been reaffirmed.  "All Trinitarians are going to hell"  SHEESH!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2008 - 2:38PM #4
malanga
[QUOTE=Bro. Steve Winter;590503]
The Bible leaves no doubt the fate of Catholics or any other group that refuses to obey the Gospel.

Bro. Winter http://www.TheTruthOfTheBible.com[/QUOTE]

I guess you must be hell bound too then?  Anyway, this is for God to decide, not you.

p.s Very cute how you cut and paste out-of-context bible quotes.  It makes me sad to see an alleged Christian take such pleasure in telling others they are hell-bound.  I can only imagine the emotional issues in your life to make take such views.  You have my pity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 4:11AM #5
aramark_girl
This is in reply to Post # 1

Generally speaking, many trinitarians hold that God is in 3 separate persons, hence the "tri-" prefix.  Oneness folks believe that God revealed Himself to humans in 3 main roles.  He was the Father in creation, the Son in redemption, and the Holy Ghost in regenerating believers.  Three main roles in one Person.  These titles are what trinitarians tend to call the 3 separate persons.

In reality, the Bible says that God is One, and that His One Name, Jesus, was the only one that was revealed to us at the anunciation of His coming birth by the angel Gabriel to Mary.  This story is found in the Gospels.  "...thou shalt call His Name Jesus, for He shall save His people from thier sins." 

Years ago, there was a song I heard, which sums up this matter.  The verses and chorus are written below:

"Oh let us make man in our image."  They say this proves God is a them.  But we find out that once He had done it, the pronouns are all He, His, and Him.

Everyone knows there's one satan.  On this most folks seem to agree.  So in order to fight just one satan, why should God have to be three?

There's only one throne up in Heaven.  You won't find another one there.  So if God is really three persons, He'll have to play musical chairs.

One God, there is one God, one God is sufficient for me, for me.  There is one God, there is one God, one God is sufficient for me.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who wrote the song.  I believe a man named Jeffrey Harpole sang it in Connecticut several years ago, where I heard it, but I do not know if it belongs to him.

I hope that clears things up for you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 4:07PM #6
malanga
Thank you for that excellent ( and civil) explanation Aramark_girl.  That does explain your position quite well.  Peace.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 8:00AM #7
ala_515
I am sending this to eddie13. I just want to share my view regarding  oneness and trinity and to give clear definition of the two. I am a former trinitarian but now a Oneness.

Trinity - they believe in three distinct persons in one God, co-eternal, coexistent, equal in power.
             The basic doctrine is that these three persons comprises the One God with all the same might and existence. This term never appeared in the Bible and was first recorded to be mentioned by Tertullian(A.D. 150-225) nearly a century after the last apostle died. They call them the Triune God as God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

Q's on Trinity:
1. If Trinity is the right term, why is it not even used in the Bible despite the word trinity is already in occurrence by that time.
2. If they are distinct persons, where are the bodies of the other two?
3. If they are equal in power, why did Jesus said his Father is greater than him? Jn. 14:28
                                              why did Jesus prayed to the father?
                                              why did Jesus said all power is given unto him in heaven and in earth? Matt.28:18.  So then where is the power of the Father and the Holy Spirit?
4. If they are all eternal and co-existent, where is Jesus and the Holy Spirit when the Father   
                     created the heavens and earth? Isa. 44:24; Deut.4:35,39; Isa. 45:5,6,14,18.
5.If they are truly one, what is the one name they should bear? I am not referring to compound names but the name mentioned in Isa.52:6 where the Lord Himself will declare.
6. If God the Father is the father of Jesus, why is it that in Matt. 1:20 his father is the Holy Ghost?

By the way nowhere in the Bible the term 'God the Son' and 'God the Holy Spirit' is ever mentioned.

There are so many Q's but maybe its enough for now.

Oneness- they believe in One God with three manifestations with only one person in Christ Jesus.

God is a spirit and he has no flesh and bones. He is the Father because he is the source of everything. He was called the Father even before Jesus was born. When man fell to sin, there is a need of redemption and redeeming mankind requires blood. Heb. 9:22. But the blood of the goats and cattles is not enough, Heb. 10:4, rather there is a need of perfect blood and all are not pure in the sight of God, He prepared a body without sin, Heb. 10:5, to take away sins Heb. 10:10 and his name is Jesus. Matt 1:21. This is the person and the body/image of the invisible God, Heb. 1:3,  Col. 1:14-15, Now God is with men face to face without consuming anyone. Exo. 33:20. That is why he is called Emmanuel meaning 'God with us'. Jesus(SON=BODY/FLESH) is the covering between the greatness and consuming power of being a God and the fleshly sinful humans. He is the mediator between God and man ITim. 2:5.
That's why when Philip asked question the same questions that confused people asked nowadays, He said He that seen me has seen the Father, why are you asking me to show to you the father?Jn. 14:1-11.
But the flesh is just for the redemption process to give away his perfect blood to wash away the sins that is why in the baptism which is a cleansing process, the apostles all used the name of Jesus. Acts 2:38; 8:12-16; 10:48; 19:5. In him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. Col.2:9; Isa. 9:6.
The Holy Spirit is the manifestation of God to dwell in the saints without harming them because if it is the God with all His power and might will dwell in us, we can never contain him. Heaven is the throne of God and earth is his foot stool. Acts 7:49.
But we should notice that Jesus himself said the he will dwell in us. John 14:17-20.
So the One God being in the Spirit form, called as Father in creation, took a flesh in redemption, bearing the  name Jesus, and dwell in us through the Holy Spirit.
When all the enemies of God will be under Him then even the Son/Glorified flesh will be under him so that God maybe all in all. ICor. 15:25-28.
Acts 4:12.  Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. (ONLY IN JESUS, THE NAME OF ONE GOD).
DO YOU BELIEVE IN ONE GOD? YOU DO WELL. EVEN THE DEVIL BELIEVES IT. Read
James 2:19.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2008 - 11:39AM #8
becomingjaded
the best way to describe trinity is: take a pie cut into 3 pieces.. all pieces are the same size all important but obviously all different BUT equal because it comes from the same pan.

Oneness believe all in one no difference between god,the son, and holy spirit..

so in other words every time jesus says that he isnt God and is actually Praying to God oneness believe hes praying to himself.. which makes me believe Oneness God is crazy haha

anyways oneness Pentecostals are VERY different from trinitarian Pentecostals(AOG, etc)

Oneness believe in speaking and seeking tongues in order to know you are saved. they believe women should not cut their hair, wear makeup, cover their entire bodies never exposing skin(male and females)they refuse to be around worldy people yet the women always have elaborate hairstyles and they always dress "in sundays best"

they are very similar to jehovah witness.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 3:04PM #9
drey327
First, a triune God is not founded in the bible at all by any true believers who worship and believe in the true and living God.

The pagans and heathens had all kinds of gods.

The difference is,  according to the bible , Jesus is the Father God. Trinitarians do not believe that Jesus is the Father God.

There is only one God, and Jesus said I am he !!!  Jesus in the new testament is Jehovah God of the old testaments.

There is only one God, not a triune god, but one Almighty true and living God, and Jesus is the Almighty God, the everlasting Father, the only true and living God, besides him,not  them, but beside him there is no other.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 3:19PM #10
drey327
[QUOTE=becomingjaded;975774]the best way to describe trinity is: take a pie cut into 3 pieces.. all pieces are the same size all important but obviously all different BUT equal because it comes from the same pan.

Oneness believe all in one no difference between god,the son, and holy spirit..

so in other words every time jesus says that he isnt God and is actually Praying to God oneness believe hes praying to himself.. which makes me believe Oneness God is crazy haha

anyways oneness Pentecostals are VERY different from trinitarian Pentecostals(AOG, etc)

Oneness believe in speaking and seeking tongues in order to know you are saved. they believe women should not cut their hair, wear makeup, cover their entire bodies never exposing skin(male and females)they refuse to be around worldy people yet the women always have elaborate hairstyles and they always dress "in sundays best"

they are very similar to jehovah witness.[/QUOTE]

Let me help you out, Oneness believe in seeking the Holy Spirit, and when one receives the Holy Spirit they will speak in tongues as the Spirit gives the utterance.

If you have not spoken in tongues, you have not yet receive the Holy Spirit, and the bible says if any man have not the Spirit of christ, they are none of his.

Let me add this, speakiing in tongues is not this thing the AOG does, where they speak a bunch of syllables whenever they want to and then call that speaking in tongues, that's just a bunch of jibberish jibber jabber nonsense.

The Holy Spirit who knows all languages, he speaks, not you make some stuff up yourself and start blurting it out, that's not the Holy Spirit, that just your spirit, any drunk can do that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook