Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Sr. Joan, women homilists etc.
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 1:24PM #21
BeliefnetCheryl
The issue of where best to debate issues within Catholicism among Roman Catholics, i.e. open only to Catholics, will be resolved later today when we open a new board in this forum for that purpose.

The Retreat House will be for those identifying themselves as liberal Catholics to discuss issues relevant to them.

No matter where you post, please remember to direct responses to the ideas of other members and not the person expressing them.

Cheryl Fuller
Assistant Community Manager
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 24, 2008 - 3:24AM #22
Purificator
There will never be ordained female priests or deacons in the Catholic Church.  Women are not to preach during Mass.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2009 - 8:42PM #23
Mareczku
What is wrong with having deaconesses in the Catholic Church as there were deaconesses in the early Church?  If it was OK then, why can't they have them now? 

Peace - Mareczku
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 12:53AM #24
ConanTheLibrarian
As A Catholic, a middle aged white male and as a feminist, I believe that women are the only hope for the Catholic Church.

Looking at the local Roman Catholic diocese, I have noticed that even huge parishes are down to only one priest (yeah, there are other staffers, but most of the real work has to be done by priests). That diocese has had several rounds of parish closings, mergers and consolidations, and I wonder how much more it can take. Newly ordained priests are shuffled around and get pastorates long before they are ready and experienced.

Some will say that married men ought to be ordained. And I agree. I come for an Eastern Rite background where a married clergy has been the rule, or at least in Europe. However, I sincerely ought that most married men will be able to juggle family life and pastoral life successfully as women. Yes, they have Protestant clergy as examples, but Protestants don't expect their ministers to be on the job 24/7.

At the risk of sounding like a female chauvinist, women have been successfully juggling family and career, they do it much better than men.

The Bad New: the Church is is trouble. The Good News: there are women who can and will help fix the problems. The Worse News: the Church is in a more trouble than it realizes, in fact it might be too late. The Better New: the women won't care, they will roll up their sleeves and get to work. They will not let the Church die.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 12:54AM #25
Whisperingal
What is "wrong" with having women priests?

Jesus certainly had women of power and authority working with him.

Or maybe the popes don't follow Jesus' example anymore?

(this post is in response to post #19)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 12:53AM #26
ConanTheLibrarian
As A Catholic, a middle aged white male and as a feminist, I believe that women are the only hope for the Catholic Church.

Looking at the local Roman Catholic diocese, I have noticed that even huge parishes are down to only one priest (yeah, there are other staffers, but most of the real work has to be done by priests). That diocese has had several rounds of parish closings, mergers and consolidations, and I wonder how much more it can take. Newly ordained priests are shuffled around and get pastorates long before they are ready and experienced.

Some will say that married men ought to be ordained. And I agree. I come for an Eastern Rite background where a married clergy has been the rule, or at least in Europe. However, I sincerely ought that most married men will be able to juggle family life and pastoral life successfully as women. Yes, they have Protestant clergy as examples, but Protestants don't expect their ministers to be on the job 24/7.

At the risk of sounding like a female chauvinist, women have been successfully juggling family and career, they do it much better than men.

The Bad New: the Church is is trouble. The Good News: there are women who can and will help fix the problems. The Worse News: the Church is in a more trouble than it realizes, in fact it might be too late. The Better New: the women won't care, they will roll up their sleeves and get to work. They will not let the Church die.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2009 - 12:54AM #27
Whisperingal
What is "wrong" with having women priests?

Jesus certainly had women of power and authority working with him.

Or maybe the popes don't follow Jesus' example anymore?

(this post is in response to post #19)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook