Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 15 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15
Switch to Forum Live View The pope's position
9 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2008 - 9:39AM #141
WaveringCC

ladyalice wrote:

Alright Joe, I read the article on the Beatitudes.

I found it to be a good article, for it's length, and I agree with the basic premise. The title put my teeth on edge, and I almost didn't continue to read past the first paragraph. But, I did, and found the examples presented to be enlightening and inspiring.

. Thanks for referring it. It might be a good idea if she changed the title of the essay.

God Bless,
alice

I'm guessing that you don't read US Catholic very often.  I'm also guessing that this isn't the title she gave her essay, but one that the editors of the magazine gave it.  It is a very typical "type" of  title for that particular publication - many of their article titles are a "play on words".

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2008 - 1:53PM #142
rjak134
[QUOTE=WaveringCC;667309]Well, good luck, next year.  Notre Dame doesn't have much more luck against them than Michigan!

;)[/QUOTE]

Ahh, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that I would ever root for Notre Dame.  Behind Ohio State, there is no team I despise more than the Domers.  I'll gladly cheer for USC against ND.  I plan to wear my Maize & Blue all up and down their campus for the next two years, and tough luck for them! :)  Watching them start out 0-8 last year was as tasty as a filet mignon.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2008 - 6:43PM #143
Mareczku
You made some very good points Wavering.  I may agree with you somewhat about mortal sin.  On another discussion a few days ago someone said that they were told that French kissing was a mortal sin when they were in school.  (Say what!!!)  This is hard for me to believe.  How many of you every thought that was a mortal sin?  How many think they were harming the person they did it with and offending God?  I can't imagine one of those priests that was molesting or sodomizing kids telling teens and young adults in confession that they were committing a mortal sin by French kissing.  It boggles my mind.  I think by trying to make every sexual thought, word and deed a mortal sin, the Church actually trivialized sin and made the truly evil sins seem less so.  Mortal sins are serious business, grave evil, they are sins that seriously harm others and offend God.  Just because a person is a sexual being does not make them evil.  I think that the abuse crisis in the Church has shown that priests need to be more educated about human sexuality and also understand and have a healthy attitude toward their own sexuality. 

Peace - Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 04, 2008 - 6:43PM #144
Mareczku
You made some very good points Wavering.  I may agree with you somewhat about mortal sin.  On another discussion a few days ago someone said that they were told that French kissing was a mortal sin when they were in school.  (Say what!!!)  This is hard for me to believe.  How many of you every thought that was a mortal sin?  How many think they were harming the person they did it with and offending God?  I can't imagine one of those priests that was molesting or sodomizing kids telling teens and young adults in confession that they were committing a mortal sin by French kissing.  It boggles my mind.  I think by trying to make every sexual thought, word and deed a mortal sin, the Church actually trivialized sin and made the truly evil sins seem less so.  Mortal sins are serious business, grave evil, they are sins that seriously harm others and offend God.  Just because a person is a sexual being does not make them evil.  I think that the abuse crisis in the Church has shown that priests need to be more educated about human sexuality and also understand and have a healthy attitude toward their own sexuality. 

Peace - Mark
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 06, 2008 - 7:49PM #145
TemplarS
Well, Mark, I suppose what I am about to say might spark a bit of disagreement.  But I think there is a great deal of subjectivity in sin.  The Church recognizes this, to a point, regarding mortal sin, in the condition of full knowledge and consent of the will.  But I can also see subjectivity in what constitutes the grave matter requirement.

French kissing as a part of a healthy, loving relationship between individuals- I wouldn't see that as sin at all, mortal or otherwise. But driven by  pure lust, perhaps as a prelude or inducement to further such acts- yes, maybe.    Sin, by giving offense to God or each other, is an act which materially interferes with that journey towards God and spiritual perfection touched on earlier; but, since we are all at different places on that journey, I would not expect that the same act would affect all of us in the same way. 

Sin seen as simply breaking the rules (along with the concomitant sometimes lengthy list of such rules) strikes me as a very simplistic concept.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2008 - 12:32AM #146
spudette
Does it make a difference if the french kissing is done by a married couple or by unmarried people? This an honest question from a non-catholic. I want to understand your beliefs better.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2008 - 12:07PM #147
gilg
[QUOTE=spudette;678689]Does it make a difference if the french kissing is done by a married couple or by unmarried people? This an honest question from a non-catholic. I want to understand your beliefs better.[/QUOTE]

Probably not. What might  makes the biggest difference is how the couple feels about each other.

As for our beliefs, I think Templar's post summarized it fairly well.

I grew up believing kissing wasn't sinful. When I was around 10 years old, dad and I were watching TV and Rita (something) was kissing some actor, I asked dad if kissing was a sin and he said something to the effect that it was normal to kiss girls,  that was a relief and I've never worried about it again.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2008 - 4:31PM #148
spudette
Thank you for yor answer, Gilg. Personally, I think that what should make a difference is whether or not the couple is truly committed to each other.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2008 - 5:23PM #149
gilg
Spudette,

Why?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 15 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement