Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View High Church? Libriel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 6:15AM #21
Jupiter6208
[QUOTE=AusAng;595257]Neither. St. Gregory is an amalgam of many diverse traditions, eastern orthodox and coptic.  As someone as already mentioned, visit the website of St. Mary the Virgin (Smokey Mary) or St. Clements in Philadelphia --

http://www.s-clements.org/flash.html

to get a feel for what the Anglican High Church tradition is. Being high church is a focus on doctrine and ritual. You will find an intense devotion to the Blessed Sacrament, including Benediction, and veneration of the Blessed Virgin Mary and invocation of the saints.  Other churches may be grounded in impeccably executed ritual, but that does not a high church make.[/QUOTE]

You got this just from visiting the website?  Wow
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 11:04AM #22
Dutch777
[QUOTE=jupiter6208;595622]You got this just from visiting the website?  Wow[/QUOTE]

Oh yes indeedy - do !

Just from visiting the website, I got:

-  A winning lotto  #

-  A really cool recipe for German potato salad 

-  The true story of what precisely happened to Judge Crater.

One must know how to exegete.
The Path
To Moon Lake
Doesn't Go
There.

So Walk
Your own Dharma*Path
And Be
Mindful

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2008 - 9:26PM #23
AusAng
[QUOTE=jupiter6208;595622]You got this just from visiting the website?  Wow[/QUOTE]

Once you know basic traits of High Church practice (Anglo-Catholic) you can interpret a churches website.

Read this wiki.  It's basic, but will give you some basic tool and information to decipher a parish website.

Then look at St. Clements website again, e.g., these pages.  More than Santus Bells should go off!

http://www.s-clements.org/Schedules_Daily.html
http://www.s-clements.org/About_Patrons.html
http://www.s-clements.org/About_Worship.html
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2008 - 6:12PM #24
Jupiter6208
[QUOTE=AusAng;597216]Once you know basic traits of High Church practice (Anglo-Catholic) you can interpret a churches website.

Read this wiki.  It's basic, but will give you some basic tool and information to decipher a parish website.

Then look at St. Clements website again, e.g., these pages.  More than Santus Bells should go off!

http://www.s-clements.org/Schedules_Daily.html
http://www.s-clements.org/About_Patrons.html
http://www.s-clements.org/About_Worship.html[/QUOTE]

YUP Bells went off!  What exactly is Coptic?  and how does it fit in with ST.Gregorys?
"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2008 - 5:32PM #25
Wordbecameflesh
Jupiter,

I'm not even going to try to answer your last question, but I do want to say something about your original question(s).  You seem to attribute the notion of "liberal" with one sort of practice or another, and I think that's a mistake.  You may find Anglo-Catholic (or "high") churches that are very conservative, and you may find them that are very liberal (for example, my parish in Birmingham, AL is probably the most self-consciously Anglo-Catholic parish in town, and is also probably the most liberal parish in town), and you'll find the same range with "low" churches.

Looking at the website for St. Gregory's, I get the impression that they have a fairly "high" liturgical practice and a fairly open, liberal social attitude (which doesn't necessarily say much about their theology).  My best advice is to visit a few times and see how it feels as a fit for who you are and where you are right now.  If it fits you, great, and if it doesn't, that doesn't say anything bad about you or the church, just that you're not right for each other right now.

My best wishes and prayers for finding a worship community that you can commit to. (And by the way, I'm like you-- I don't particularly like surprises either--  God does surprise us, I'll agree, but not all surpises are the God kind.  There are surprises, and there are surprises-- I'll take God's, and try to minimize the others!)

Peace,
Ed
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2008 - 7:41PM #26
Jupiter6208
[QUOTE=Wordbecameflesh;601104]Jupiter,

I'm not even going to try to answer your last question, but I do want to say something about your original question(s).  You seem to attribute the notion of "liberal" with one sort of practice or another, and I think that's a mistake.  You may find Anglo-Catholic (or "high") churches that are very conservative, and you may find them that are very liberal (for example, my parish in Birmingham, AL is probably the most self-consciously Anglo-Catholic parish in town, and is also probably the most liberal parish in town), and you'll find the same range with "low" churches.

Looking at the website for St. Gregory's, I get the impression that they have a fairly "high" liturgical practice and a fairly open, liberal social attitude (which doesn't necessarily say much about their theology).  My best advice is to visit a few times and see how it feels as a fit for who you are and where you are right now.  If it fits you, great, and if it doesn't, that doesn't say anything bad about you or the church, just that you're not right for each other right now.

My best wishes and prayers for finding a worship community that you can commit to. (And by the way, I'm like you-- I don't particularly like surprises either--  God does surprise us, I'll agree, but not all surpises are the God kind.  There are surprises, and there are surprises-- I'll take God's, and try to minimize the others!)

Peace,
Ed[/QUOTE]

Ed

I understand what you are saying,  being a high or low Church has no bearing  on their Theology

it being conservitive or  a bit Liberal  correct?

Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2008 - 11:53PM #27
Wordbecameflesh
Jupiter,

Yes, in my experience high/low and liberal/conservative do not necessarily correlate.  And whether a  particular church is a friendly, warm and welcoming place or not isn't necessarily correlated to any of these either.

Ed
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2008 - 7:38AM #28
Jupiter6208
Ed

I see your point,  i really get a good feeling from this Church

God Bless

Eleanor Roosevelt
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 22, 2009 - 4:38PM #29
holst
The way I see it, the terms "high church", "low church" and "broad church" apply mostly to styles of worship, and they often don't have a lot to do with politics and with positions on the big, hot button issues of the AC these days.

I'm sure some might see it another way and they have had different experiences from my own.  But I do know an Anglican Church that is very "low church" and made up of a very conservative lay and clerical leadership.

I also know a Church that's pretty "high", but made up of a really, really liberal bunch of people - too liberal for me at times, and I happily consider myself liberal or certainly a moderate.

High church - smells, bells, holy hardware, chants, music, etc etc

Low Church - very protestant in appearnace.  Not a costume party and less choerography
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook