Switch to Forum Live View Converting From Orthodox to Catholic
7 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2008 - 3:43PM #1
Antiochian
I am a former Roman Catholic who left to join the Greek Orthodox Church nearly a decade ago.  I love the Orthodox Church dearly in many ways, but endless fighting, the ethnocentric bigotry and the nonstop power struggles, plus the people's managing to drive away a very holy priest, has me fed up.

I'm considering coming back to the Catholic Church.  However, even though I'd be joining a RC parish, if I return, I want to be received as a Byzantine Catholic (namely out of principle, out of my love for and identification with Byzantine Christianity, there are no Eastern Catholic churches anywhere nearby).  Furthermore, I was rebaptized in the Orthodox Church when I converted (not a common practice, but my priest was a traditionalist who preferred that to simply chrismating me).

Can anyone advise me on my situation?  I appreciate it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2008 - 12:26PM #2
malanga
Well, I do not know how much help I can be, but I will try.  I had at one time considered the Orthodox Church, but when I saw how unwelcoming the local Greek Orthodox Church treated strangers, I had no desire to pursue it any further.  I am Roman Catholic, and my understanding is that, in the RCC view, you never leave.  You would be seen as someone not actively practicing the faith, but still Roman Catholic.  The good part for you would be that you probably do not have to do anything other than perhaps confession to a priest, provided you were previously confirmed.  If you were not confirmed Catholic, then you would probably have to go through the RCIA classes.  Best advice for you: ask a Roman priest.  I do not think it would be difficult process.  As for the Byzantium Rite, that may be a problem if there is no Byzantine Church nearby.  I am fortunate to have one 10 minutes from my home, so I really should stop in for services some time.  Best of luck to you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2008 - 7:47PM #3
Prajna
I would suggest talking to a Priest about your situation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2008 - 9:44PM #4
timrford
[QUOTE=Antiochian;541150]I am a former Roman Catholic who left to join the Greek Orthodox Church nearly a decade ago.  I love the Orthodox Church dearly in many ways, but endless fighting, the ethnocentric bigotry and the nonstop power struggles, plus the people's managing to drive away a very holy priest, has me fed up.

I'm considering coming back to the Catholic Church.  However, even though I'd be joining a RC parish, if I return, I want to be received as a Byzantine Catholic (namely out of principle, out of my love for and identification with Byzantine Christianity, there are no Eastern Catholic churches anywhere nearby).  Furthermore, I was rebaptized in the Orthodox Church when I converted (not a common practice, but my priest was a traditionalist who preferred that to simply chrismating me).

Can anyone advise me on my situation?  I appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

While the RC rite has MAJOR problems, I would suggest looking at any and all eastern Catholic Church's of the byzantine rite near you.

The beauty of the smaller rite is that there is less nonsense and more orthodox teahing.
tim
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2008 - 6:29PM #5
gehez126
Dear Antiochian,

I hope you do come back to the fullness of unity in the Catholic Church!  Sometimes there are smaller Eastern rite Catholic churches around; did you check everywhere in your area?

I was surprised to hear that the Orthodox priest rebaptized you, because the Orthodox Church recognizes the validity of Catholic baptism. To rebaptize someone is actually sinful; a person validly baptized can never be baptized again; it's a once for all event. I'm talking about the objective action; I don't mean to judge your conscience.

In any case I will pray for you! God bless you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2008 - 2:37AM #6
genesis_9_6
To expand on what Malanga was saying, you probably need to only receive Reconcilation. I do believe, while the Church is happy to welcome people back into the fold, you openly rejected Dogmatic teachings of the Catholic Church by joining the Eastern Orthodox Church. As a result, you are technically in a state of mortal sin and will need to receive penance from a local Catholic Priest.

I would double check with your local Priest just to make certain, but I do know you will probably need to seek Reconcilation before you are allowed to receive communion. There is a chance, because you only became Orthodox that it might be over looked by the Priest and you'll be allowed back into the fold without any penance.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2008 - 4:07PM #7
noseington
By rejecting the Roman Catholic church, Anthiocan has taken the first step toward spiritual enlightenment.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 6:59PM #8
dqualk

Jun 3, 2008 -- 3:43PM, Antiochian wrote:

I am a former Roman Catholic who left to join the Greek Orthodox Church nearly a decade ago. I love the Orthodox Church dearly in many ways, but endless fighting, the ethnocentric bigotry and the nonstop power struggles, plus the people's managing to drive away a very holy priest, has me fed up. I'm considering coming back to the Catholic Church. However, even though I'd be joining a RC parish, if I return, I want to be received as a Byzantine Catholic (namely out of principle, out of my love for and identification with Byzantine Christianity, there are no Eastern Catholic churches anywhere nearby). Furthermore, I was rebaptized in the Orthodox Church when I converted (not a common practice, but my priest was a traditionalist who preferred that to simply chrismating me). Can anyone advise me on my situation? I appreciate it.

You will be allowed to come back to the Byzantine Rite for sure. There is no reason that you wouldn't be able to.

Rebaptism isn't a huge deal. All it means is that your second baptism was just water being poured on your head. Sometimes this is called a conditional baptism (a baptism where you may have had a baptism before, but just in case you didn't we'll do it again).

My advise to you is to pray and fast before making any major decision becasue there are Roman Catholic and Eastern Rite parishes with fighting, ethnocentric bigotry, nonstop power struggles, and even parishes that attempt to drive priest's away. There are, of course very pious Catholics parishes too. But there are also very pious Orthodox parishes.

If you switch back to Catholicism it should be because of your desire to be in official union with the Bishop of Rome. Eastern Orthodoxy is a part of the Catholic Church, it is just in schism with Rome, which is bad, but not the end of the world.

The Catholic Church does not intend to "steal sheep" from our Orthodox brothers because the Orthodox Church does have all of the sacraments and is a Church proper. However, if your conscience longs to be officially in union with the Bishop of Rome then you should head on over and join a Byzantine Catholic Church.

May the Lord heal the divisions within His body.

In Christ,
Daniel

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook