Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 6:56PM #11
marleighF91
[QUOTE=rideronthastorm;538830]Well no I dont see anything wrong with flirting.However let me ask this. Eating dinner with yall once a week?Thats kind of I dont know far out for me or something.Eating dinner once a week with yall? Isnt that going a little far and washing dishes together?

OMG this is just too weird Im starting to ahve panic attacks, i dont know my missionary friends have been over twice and I feed them cookies everytime,my mom has flirted with them but shes 81 and theres no harm in an old lady being a little flirtatious because obviously its not going to be atemptation.

But this whole thing is starting to come off as bazzare to me, OMG missionaries eating dinner with you at your house when theyre trying to convert you, thats too much its too much.[/QUOTE]

Missionaries aren't trying to convert me. My family has been mormon since Mormons came to VA. Our ward has a sign up sheet that goes around and you sign up for when you want to feed them. We do it once a week. Its our way of supporting.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 9:29PM #12
rideronthastorm
Oh yes your right and Im way off as usual. i apologize, its all my fault. I shouldnt have reacted so suddenly, open mouth and insert foot, yep thats me. Hehehehe, well theres nothign wrong with eating together and washing dishes together, its a big family were all brothers and sisters, Im just not use to being back in a Christian church yet thats all but give me time. I could get use to all this closeness its nice it really is, i think tomarrow Im going to have a chocolate pig out for the missionaries coming by, Im in the mood to binge on chocolate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 9:29PM #13
rideronthastorm
Oh yes your right and Im way off as usual. i apologize, its all my fault. I shouldnt have reacted so suddenly, open mouth and insert foot, yep thats me. Hehehehe, well theres nothign wrong with eating together and washing dishes together, its a big family were all brothers and sisters, Im just not use to being back in a Christian church yet thats all but give me time. I could get use to all this closeness its nice it really is, i think tomarrow Im going to have a chocolate pig out for the missionaries coming by, Im in the mood to binge on chocolate.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2008 - 12:37AM #14
BillThinks4Himself
When I was on my mission in Utah, my companion and I walked into a bike shop in Ogden.  The owner's daughter was there (I think all his kids worked in the shop) and I was absolutely dazzled.  I had to walk out because I didn't want to embarrass myself.  I wasn't going to come onto her but it's sometimes hard not to stare when you're confronted with the gloriously beautiful.

So we walked out.  When my companion wanted to know why I was in such a hurry to bale, I explained the temptation.  I wasn't worried about hopping the counter and going wild.  I just didn't need the complications.  I know a lot of missionaries harbor the quiet belief that if they're good, maybe God will lead them to Ms. Right.  I didn't.  In fact, I considered it illogical and unlikely that God would play matchmaker while someone was trying to serve a mission.  While anything can happen, I considered it more likely that anything - even the most platonic infatuation - would be, at least, a professional embarrassment.

Well, my companion (who was also my trainer) was something of a hustler.  He was an interesting personality from whom I learned a lot, but he was also Clintonian in his comfort with lying.  Leaving me standing outside, he said he'd forgotten something, went back into the store and came out moments later.  Little did I know that he'd told the girl and her father what a sad case I was, that my family had disowned me, that I was all alone in this, that I never got mail from anyone and asked if they'd be so kind as to write to me from time to time.

(In truth, while nobody in my family supported my joining the LDS Church, my father was the only one who got hostile about it.  While they almost never wrote to me, it was mostly out of neglect.  And while they did move, without leaving me a forwarding address, I think they just expected me to do what any dog knows how to do: find my way home.)

She wrote to me.  Her letter was happy high-school stuff, very innocent but still catnip with a stamp.  I didn't consider it any sin to open the letter (I didn't know who it was from) but when I read it, my heart again went pitter-patter.  I was a goofy mess, with a big, stupid, grin on my face.  It was wonderful.

I never went back to that bike shop again, but I did fire off a short letter thanking her for hers.  Bad idea.  It was expressly against mission rules to write to anyone within the mission.  I even agreed with the rule.  I just didn't think it polite to not respond at all.  So I sent something short.  I thanked her for being so nice and that was it.

I didn't hear back from her until months later, when I was up in Wyoming.  She sent me a Christmas Card, which was forwarded to my assignment in Evanston.  I was touched by the gesture.  This time, I also thought I was safer.  I was, after all, a state away.  But who was kidding whom?  She was in my mission, even if across state lines.  I thanked her for the card and kept my correspondence short and to the point.

Life went on.  I didn't hear from her again, nor did I try to make any additional contact of my own.  As far as I was concerned, she was a delightful face representing the goodness of Utah.  I'd seen some pretty faces before, but this one glowed.  I considered that chance encounter to be one of those gratuitous moments when life gives you a wink.

Then one day, I had to get out of Brigham City.  There was this woman who'd taken a sudden interest in me, one that really spooked me.  She wasn't playing around.  I was now the girl in the bike shop - at least to someone else - and nothing in my training had quite prepared me for this.

I called up an old companion, in Ogden, and talked him into a split.  I'd go down there.  His companion would come up to Brigham City.  It was a makeshift plan for survival, at least until my emergency transfer came through.  But when I got to Ogden, my old companion had lined up some speaking engagements.  He liked to hang out with the "deaf sisters," who could ironically weave some of the best stories you might ever hear. They had organized a kind of stake-by-stake tour, lobbying each local congregation to keep them in mind when dealing with the hearing impaired.  My old companion - who was making a similar pitch for Spanish-speaking referrals - liked to advertise from the pulpit, so we ended up at a ward in Sunset.

Now, guess who spotted me while walking through the halls?  Yes, it was that same radiant beauty who, it now seemed, struck me as younger and more hyper than I'd remembered.  My initial reaction was to have my heart sink into my chest.  Here she was!  But as words began to pour out of her mouth, my heart continued to sink further and further.  Not only did she remember me.  She remembered me with probably the same delight with which I'd remembered her, but in her case, the words came out like this, "Here he is, the missionary who has been writing to me!"

You hear stories about the salesman and the farmer's daughter, but you never think you're going to be in one.

I thought I was going to die right there.  My face must have turned beet red.  I wanted to run for the door but I couldn't.  We were expected.  The girl (and now she seemed all of that) was waving at this woman who approached me with a serious look on her face.  As it would turn out, this was the bishop's wife.  The girl I had innocently replied to was the bishop's daughter.

And mama was not pleased - no, not one bit.

She made a quick comment about writing to the family next time, a hint which I would have taken if I had ever intended to write another letter to this girl, let alone show up in her ward.

With my old companion's help, we extricated ourselves with all deliberate speed and ended up on the stand, along with her father, the bishop.  In my list of experiences I do not want to relive, put this one near the top.  Here I was, with my left foot lodged in the meanest of bear traps, sitting next to the bishop/father of a girl who now began to wave at me from somewhere near the front.  The entire time I was there, I was trying not to look stuck up while avoiding so much as a glance in her direction.  Every time I let my guard down, I'd look over and she'd react like we were the Beatles in concert.  It was pretty weird, trying to get through that talk without looking down.  I've never had such a running distraction while trying to give a simple talk about missionary work.

I kept wondering if anyone else noticed this sideshow in progress.
I kept wondering if I'd make it through the talk.
I kept wondering if this place had a back door.

The very moment the closing prayer was Amen'd, we got out of there like we were going to take the flag with us.  Whatever it is Hillary Clinton thought had happened to her - with that corkscrew landing and the sprint to the mythical armored-vehicle-in-waiting - I had that experience in reverse.  We practically sprinted out the door and into the parking lot, with a virtual corkscrew escape.  The first time I watched the movie, Ed Wood, I found myself laughing out loud.  Watching that movie premier, where Ed bolts for the door with Hell's fury snapping at his heels, I thought to myself, "This isn't just a scene.  I've had that experience.  I was there."

We never went back to that ward again (Thanks a lot, Sunset) - and when I did go back to Brigham City (with the MILF who wanted to jump my bones), I went with the confidence that I could survive anything.  I'd put in my emergency transfer request, which came through within a day or so.  My companion and I stayed in.  We kept the door locked.  We went to the mattresses - to avoid ending up on the mattresses.  Whenever this lady would call, I was always unavailable - in more ways than one.

I escaped Brigham City (an area I really liked) to end up in West Bountiful (an area I also liked), with a Belgian greenie who thought I was a stupid, ugly, American.  I was there until I got hit by a Honda (which tore up my bicycle and sent me summersaulting over the car like Darth Maul).  After $3,000 worth of damage to the Honda, an emergency blessing and a couple of stitches to the knee (the impact knocked one of my wingtips off, producing an odd-looking new toe pressing up through my sock - which, thankfully, was just swelling) - I got transfered to a car area, because they didn't want me on a bike anymore.

They sent me back to Ogden.  But at least I was in a car.  We didn't need bicycle accessories of any kind.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2008 - 1:44AM #15
rideronthastorm
Bwahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thats hillarius Bill!!!!!!!!!!I know though, I am a big flirt big time. Its like being in sales you know. the Missionary technically is sort of selling the gospel more or less.He or she is in the same positiion as the sales,he is attracting people to the gospel not himself, but you have to be friendly outgoing to sell as i imagine the missionary ahs to be too. Its far to easy to develop a flirtatious personality. I am very very fat in real life and am 41, nothing to look at. '

However on the phone I sound like Im 25 and sometimes people think Im like 21 or something,I m a telesales person, Im the biggest flirt on the planet OMG>One of my lines when people ask me how Im  doing-If I were doing any better theyd come out ehre and arrest me for having too good of a time.......................Ive had guys ask me out ond ates and once sense I call from my house they called me back after hours and invited me out my house number, it gets to be kind of dangerous if yoiur calling from your house, so Ive had thee xperience of people coming onto me but mostly I just have fun with it, sometimes I say "Oh yea where do ya want to go" pretend like Im on a phone date.........................But I dont go down that road of cousre I just tease em abit
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2008 - 12:58PM #16
rideronthastorm
Apparently Ive said something wrong, im sorry if Ive offended yall. I forwarned you Im just a big freak sorry you
guys.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2008 - 11:43PM #17
BillThinks4Himself
[QUOTE=rideronthastorm;540823]Apparently Ive said something wrong, im sorry if Ive offended yall. I forwarned you Im just a big freak sorry you
guys.[/QUOTE]

You didn't offend me.  I've just been slow to get back.  Today was the last day of classes and most of my energy was spent on avoiding one of those "last day of the year" disasters - like a fight or injury.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2008 - 11:46PM #18
BillThinks4Himself
[QUOTE=rideronthastorm;540162]However on the phone I sound like Im 25 and sometimes people think Im like 21 or something,I m a telesales person, Im the biggest flirt on the planet OMG[/QUOTE]

I meant to ask you about telesales.  I tried that a couple of times and washed out (too sensitive to rejection I guess).  I wondered what words of wisdom you'd give someone who was trying to make it in phone sales.  It's not as if I'm going to go back to that at this point, but I've always wondered how the better salespeople do it.

Do you have a Top Ten list of strategies for working the phones?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2008 - 6:15PM #19
rideronthastorm
Oh yes I do.

1: dont talk and socialize with the people around you,telemarketing groups always have those who gossip and like to socialize on the job but many of them dont make it, its ok to talk a little, socialize a little you got to have a little fun but keep it down, my first year at the Shriners the one where I complained about Christians all the time on CD; They hated me and stayed away from me untill they realized I was getting so much attention from my bosses and supervisors,but being completely alone having no friends-I use to rip em up, bring 3oo dollars worth of donations while the rest of my group who was  busy socializing couldnt keep up with me, later on when i got cozy with my coworkers and they learned to like me, my sales went down, so being completly alone and jaded actually did me good.

2. Dial the next one- stay on the phone all the time and take very few breaks.

3.Stay positive and happy, Im hyped up at work very different at work then I am at home, excited energetic,and happy, if you smile while your on the phone people know it.

4. How to be happy and energetic and excited all the time? I use to listen to music, it got me psyched out hard rock, aNy kind of music that pumps you up or uplifts you is good, reading your BOM or bible or praying or mediating on something that gets you all positive and happy do that the whole time, i use to daydream quite abit.

5. My most important one: Learn to be a vampire.An emotional vampire. People will undoubtedly be competeing against you and will pull stunts to psych you out and get you down becuase they are pushing everyone around them out so they can climb to the top, its a cut throat job, they will compete, so they will say stuff to you to get you negged out, they use to remind me constantly of how many personal problems I had and why was I working there, and also they liked to do stuff like this and managers encourage this because they encourage competition, they put peoples sales tottals on the boards and people will intimidate you tell you how good they are jump up and down get all happy about hot they are, use it against anyone just to compete let you know how happy the boss is with them,they can get you negged out by saying stuff to you all the time intimidate you; Instead of getting negged out do one or two things especialliy if your doing badly,

one: Feed off it, theyre happy and energetic get happy with them.,let their energy rub off on you, use it as an excuse to feel good,if that doesnt work do this, and I asked my boss specifically about doing this, he said it was good.
I take bad energy and turn into good by realizing they are trying to compete with me, so then I get happy that their trying make me mad;I feed off the fact that theyre trying to compete against me and get happy with it and rebel and get tottally excited, after awhile all my coworkers were friendly with me because they knew when theyd get mad or compete with me instead of being upset, Id get happy and feed off it, and used it to be on the board then Id blow everybody out, it sounds perverted but its not Gene Simmons said the same thing in his book about sales as well, he said "Learn to be a vampire and feed off of everything aorund you" Its good advice, my boss said that all good sales people learn to  feed off the energy around them off of others, they have to to stay positive.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 04, 2008 - 11:35PM #20
BillThinks4Himself
Those are great pointers.  Today, I got my evaluation from my supervisors and - ironically - your advice came up.  I was feeling a little low because I'm not the most popular person at my job site.  When teachers get together to whine about the great injustices of the system, I keep on walking.  It's not that I don't agree with much of what they're saying.  It's just that I don't need to make my life that much more difficult by wasting my time playing the cello. 

While I've had enough of spending lots of time on campus after school, I make the most of my time while I'm there.  I use every minute I've got - because they're paying me - and my classes go from bell to bell.  The last two days of school, while other classes were having parties, my kids had a 200-question final (with pizza afterwards).  My mantra is that if you're not out hustling, you're falling behind.    Everybody should be a little greedy.  They would do well to have something they want and are busting their britches to get.  It makes each day more interesting - and it just happens to be how you go from not having anything to having what you want.

Of course, you can't always get what you want, but Mick Jagger says, if you try sometimes, you find, you get what you need.

Anyway, I was a bit low because I know I'm not Mr. Popular.  Yet, when evaluations came - and there was something of a bloodletting - I survived.  My boss gave me a word to the wise: "Keep doing what you're doing."  It was a reminder that I'm not there to win any popularity contests.  I'm there to make the most of a situation with limited time and opportunities. 

Your words proved themselves today.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook