Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 11:52AM #1
ProfitOfGod
Whatever you do, don't listen to Iron.  No one likes a tattletale. 

It would be one thing if he were groping you or sending you explicit pictures of himself, but there's nothing at all wrong with playful flirting.  If Jesus has a problem with this missionary's behavior, then Jesus will handle it. 

If his behavior makes you feel uncomfortable, tell him so.  "Hey, I think you're a nice guy and all, but I really wish you wouldn't do/say x, y, and z.  I just want to be friends and don't want to be a distraction while you're on your mission."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 11:52AM #2
ProfitOfGod
Whatever you do, don't listen to Iron.  No one likes a tattletale. 

It would be one thing if he were groping you or sending you explicit pictures of himself, but there's nothing at all wrong with playful flirting.  If Jesus has a problem with this missionary's behavior, then Jesus will handle it. 

If his behavior makes you feel uncomfortable, tell him so.  "Hey, I think you're a nice guy and all, but I really wish you wouldn't do/say x, y, and z.  I just want to be friends and don't want to be a distraction while you're on your mission."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2008 - 1:30PM #3
marleighF91
i know that missionaries are absolutely, without a doubt, off-limits, no matter what, but what if they come onto you? A few weeks ago  the missionaries of my ward came to my house for dinner and one elder openly flirted with me! In front of my parents and his companion. They come to our house once a week and he always helps me clear the table and do the dishes. when we come to the table to eat he even pulls my chair out for me. When hes helping with the dishes he stands close to me and talks suggestively. I try not to flirt back. Don't get me wrong, he's a hottie and a really nice guy, but hes a missionary. I tried to brush it off, but then my stepbrother mentioned something about it. Isn't stuff like that against the rules. Since when are they allowed to go around and pick up chicks?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2008 - 2:34PM #4
Ironhold
If you've got a missionary trying to flirt with you, then you need to report him to the bishop.

It's that simple.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2008 - 2:58PM #5
marleighF91
[QUOTE=Ironhold;537197]If you've got a missionary trying to flirt with you, then you need to report him to the bishop.

It's that simple.[/QUOTE]

That is simple, but what will he do to him? I don't want him to get in trouble.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2008 - 8:20PM #6
moksha8088
I would hate to get a missionary in trouble for being flirtatious as well.  I would have some third party like your brother or father suggest to the missionary and his companion, in a private moment,  that he cool his jets as far as flirting goes till he finishes his mission.

One only has to read these forum messages for several years to realize that some Church discipline lacks an "inspired quality".  That is because Church leaders are like a box of chocolates.  Many may well handle such a missionary challenge well and some may over react.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 2:01PM #7
rideronthastorm
Well no I dont see anything wrong with flirting.However let me ask this. Eating dinner with yall once a week?Thats kind of I dont know far out for me or something.Eating dinner once a week with yall? Isnt that going a little far and washing dishes together?

OMG this is just too weird Im starting to ahve panic attacks, i dont know my missionary friends have been over twice and I feed them cookies everytime,my mom has flirted with them but shes 81 and theres no harm in an old lady being a little flirtatious because obviously its not going to be atemptation.

But this whole thing is starting to come off as bazzare to me, OMG missionaries eating dinner with you at your house when theyre trying to convert you, thats too much its too much.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 2:05PM #8
rideronthastorm
I just quit breathing.Asthma attack.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 2:40PM #9
UwishUwereMe
Ridersonthestorm,

Find a brown paper bag,

It sounds like this young woman IS a member of the Church, not some one that the missionaries are trying to convert.  It is actually VERY common for families to host the missionaries for dinner.  It gives them a good home-cooked meal (unless they eat at my parents home then its a nice night out since neither one of my parents can cook)  and it also helps with their budget a little.  Since these men and women are gone from home for 24 months and 18 months (respectively) they usually enjoy the fellowship and family time.  We used to have a couple sisters come for FHE.

It is highly innapropriate to be flirting with her though.  Depending on what kind of flirting it is.  First and foremost, it is how this young sister feels that is most importand.

Profit of God, I gotta hand it to you, your suggestion came straight out of my brain.  Great minds really DO think alike.

I myself have had 3 occations of flirting and have been able to field it well.  When I was 17, one of the sisters fell madly in love with me.  My mother kindly pulled her aside privately and told her that he mission was first to serve the Lord not score a boy.

The next time was when I met a sister here in the Metro that had served in my home town and she was VERY forward!  I just told her that she had 11 months to devote to the Lord and if things changed and we are still in the same position I would consider getting to know her better.

The next one was an Elder.  I told him how much I appreciated the compliments that he gave me but he is on a mission, and that he needed to know that what he was going through is ok, but he would either need to put it in the back of his mind, and continue or end his mission.  He was incredibly sensative.  He and I went to talk to the Bishop and soon there after he was sent back to his home of Rolling Hills California.

The pointe is that you want to handle it with tact and class, like any social situation.  I'm sure he means no harm, but he'll need to cool it. 

Good luck, I'm sure everyone will come to an agreement that is suitable.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 2:52PM #10
bytebear
The church is aware of these kinds of situations, and they have rules and practices in place to make sure things don;t get out of hand. 

A missionary is only assigned an area for 2-4 months and then sent somewhere else.  This is so things don;t get too cozy for them, or the people they serve.

Don't worry too much about it.  He will be somewhere else soon enough, and if you want him gone sooner, then just tell the bishop.  He will be sent somewhere else. 

As for the missionary, if it becomes a habit of his to hit on the girls in every ward, then he may be sent home permanently before his mission is over, but that's his problem, not yours.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook