Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Authority of Scripture
6 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2008 - 1:12PM #21
CalKnox
[QUOTE=greenponder;548830]I read the Confession of 1967. It did not specifically say that the Bible is fallible or errant as far as I could tell. What do you think it is saying?
If that is what it is saying, how do you subscribe to two statements that are antithetical? [/QUOTE]

The C of ‘67 seems to say the Scriptures contain the word of God, not that it is the word of God.

As it is impossible to determine the meaning of “the essential tenets of the Reformed faith as expressed in the confessions of our church as authentic and reliable expositions of what Scripture leads us to believe and do,” the only authoritative affirmation PC(USA) officers make is their ordination vows.  The second vow determines what they say they believe regarding Scripture.  For this reason, I try to determine if there is a common understanding of that vow which may be expected of their officers or may be enforced.  So far, that too is as illusive as “the essential tenets of the Reformed faith,” and like nailing Jell-o to the wall.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook