Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How Long are Orthodox Services
10 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 12:40PM #1
malanga
Hi.

Out of curiosity, I was wondering how long is the average Sunday service in the Orthodox Church.  I have heard as little as an hour, to over three hours!  Thanks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 1:20PM #2
TheDogfather
It depends on a few things.
Practically all EO Divine Liturgies follow the liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.  Depending on the priest, parish practice, number of parishioners taking communion, etc, it can last from an hour to two hours.  At my Church it's usually about 90 minutes.
At other times of the year (Lent, for instance) we celebrate the Divine Liturgy of St. Basil.  This is a bit longer -- 90 minutes to two and a half hours, again depending on a few factors.

Personally, I find that because of the large amount of corporate participation, Divine Liturgy doesn't SEEM as long as other services, even though they are longer than a typical Christian service.  This is a matter of personal perception, of course.

You might want to read Frederica Mathewes-Green's "Twelve Things I Wish I'd Known" to learn more about Divine Liturgy.

http://www.frederica.com/12-things/
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 1:41PM #3
malanga
Thanks for the info! I may have to stop in for an Orthodox service sometime, as long no anti-Papist alarm goes off when I walk in! ;0)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 7:07PM #4
TheDogfather
[QUOTE=malanga;531156]Thanks for the info! I may have to stop in for an Orthodox service sometime, as long no anti-Papist alarm goes off when I walk in! ;0)[/QUOTE]

LOL, your anti-Papist alarm should remain quiet, especially when you consider that the liturgy is identical to that of Eastern (or Byzantine) Catholics who are in full communion with the Pope.  The following links should put your mind at ease:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Lit … Chrysostom
http://www.byzantines.net/liturgy/liturgy.htm

So, go in; venerate the icons; light a candle; and enjoy the Liturgy :-)

(and pray that some day the Church will be united) ;-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 12:06PM #5
KatherineOrthodixie
[QUOTE=malanga;531156]Thanks for the info! I may have to stop in for an Orthodox service sometime, as long no anti-Papist alarm goes off when I walk in! ;0)[/QUOTE]

If you do, be sure to wear comfortable shoes!!! Because depending on the parish, there may or may not be pews. The Orthodox custom is to stand during the Divine Liturgy.
“The Law of the Church is to give oneself to what is given not to seek one’s own.” Fr. Alexander Schmemann
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 11:15PM #6
Kerygma
...or lean. Find a wall or pillar and be prepared to do some leaning. ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 31, 2008 - 8:00AM #7
greeknurse
Hi James: I am curious to know, am I the only Orthodox around here that sits in church? I keep seeing everything about standing, no pews or chairs, etc. Every single church I have been in has had pews. So I was curious. Of course,we stand a lot during service, but we also sit as well.  curiosity got the cat.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 30, 2008 - 11:15PM #8
Kerygma
...or lean. Find a wall or pillar and be prepared to do some leaning. ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 31, 2008 - 8:00AM #9
greeknurse
Hi James: I am curious to know, am I the only Orthodox around here that sits in church? I keep seeing everything about standing, no pews or chairs, etc. Every single church I have been in has had pews. So I was curious. Of course,we stand a lot during service, but we also sit as well.  curiosity got the cat.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 31, 2008 - 11:32AM #10
Kerygma
Hi

It probably depends more upon the jurisdiction. My wife and I attend an OCA church and its roots are in the Russian tradition. Russian churches, by and large, do not have pews. Now I'd need to qualify that statement. Some OCA churches were purchased from Protestant denominations in which pews were already present and so they may have chosen to keep what was there rather than strip them out. In our church, there are probably thirty or so chairs that are set up near the back of the church. Most of the parish simply stands in the large open nave and then sit on the floor (which has several large Persian-like carpets) during the homily. Even those who choose to take a chair (my wife and I are among this group since my lower back will bother me after half an hour) still stand throughout the entire service (minus the sermon, of course).

Personally, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. While I can see the benefit of being able to make prostrations during Lent and deep bows during portions of the service, I can also see the benefits of pews, particularly for families with younger children. I just "go with the flow". :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook