Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Bible version do you prefer?
9 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2008 - 1:09AM #21
imsavedru
When I study with a new christian I like to use the New Living Translation because it is down-to-earth and uses "simple" wording. Bible study can be confusing for those who have never been exposed to some of the words that the King James version uses.

For personal study I like the Amplified Version.  It is like a Thesaurus - giving many words to make or justify a point- thereby clarifying the true context of the sentence/paragraph.

I use the Message to read to my kids at night.  It reads like a book and not like a bible (in a sense).
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2008 - 3:58PM #22
slate
I am surprised that my favorite is not on the list, since it is the favored version in boht the Episcopal Church and the United Methodist church.  That is the new Revised standard Version.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 10:04AM #23
poppadan
My Dear Sister in Christ;
Be most careful when relying on any INTERPRETATION of God's word. I have found fault in the KJV. look up the word "EASTER" and think of why a pagon celebration would be stated as associated with The Church. The KJV was compiled by the Catholic protestants and Preists decided what should be there and what should not and they were not inspired. Mind you, Any int. of God's word that leads you to His Son as the only way to be saved, is a good one to learn from, but I myself as you, like the KJV because of its ease in devoting to memory but I teach from both KJV and NASB. After all, it is the Spirit of the word that we seek in gaining truth and increasing the Spiritural Mind daily. So it may overcome the carnal mind that is at war with God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 10:04AM #24
poppadan
My Dear Sister in Christ;
Be most careful when relying on any INTERPRETATION of God's word. I have found fault in the KJV. look up the word "EASTER" and think of why a pagon celebration would be stated as associated with The Church. The KJV was compiled by the Catholic protestants and Preists decided what should be there and what should not and they were not inspired. Mind you, Any int. of God's word that leads you to His Son as the only way to be saved, is a good one to learn from, but I myself as you, like the KJV because of its ease in devoting to memory but I teach from both KJV and NASB. After all, it is the Spirit of the word that we seek in gaining truth and increasing the Spiritural Mind daily. So it may overcome the carnal mind that is at war with God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2008 - 12:30PM #25
peterthesplitfish
Shalom,

I prefer the Gospel of the Nazirenes over the others and the Nag Hamadi Library.

Peter M.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 1:47PM #26
steve123
I like the version that Dr. Charles Stanley uses - NASB.  This is a nice bible, just picked one up:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/ … er_reviews
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 10:56PM #27
URK(S.B.)
Pop, you are right about the word "easter"! Yet the KJV is more of an original than the other bibles listed here and the Original KJV can easyly be related back to even more original forms rather quickly! Others can not! As to the term easter when reverted back is Pasal and everywhere else that term was used it was tranlated Passover! any Christian how studies with the proper study tools and Guidance ^1 knows that! All English sources have such issues! I can list many mistranslations of this source but those willing to devote time to study can break them down with ease! That is why I support the Companion  (original KJV) bible. It does much of this work for you and have only found one place where it's appendixes have messed up! Either way no Christian of deep study should only be relying on A English source for their studies!
Now lets go into detail about how the word is devine and comes from the Holy spirit! Lets see who is willing to study these things for themselves! And lets share some good study tools! If not interested don't waste your time with the following people!
One on the narrow path can discern truth from falsehoods through the HOLY SPIRIT.
The double edge sword of truth(Flaming sword) :
Man can not speak the "Pentecost" tongue (language), they are but an instrument of it! The true Pentecost tongue is the Holy Spirit speaking(Matt.10:20) and it is not an unknown language! It is understood by all that hear it. Some churches seem to have the wrong understanding and teachings. Many fake this gift and pretend to be more Holy than thou. Babel is confusion. God is the father of truth not confusion. 1st Cor.14: (4,19,26-28)

If one is interested in the study , in truth here is the documentation:

Luke 24:49 (Wait to receive the gift )/ Acts 1:1-8 (Receiving the gift)/ Acts 2:1-8(Using the gift)/ John17:17&18 (description)/1st Cor. 14:7(tongue=language (not born with)) John 20:21&22 (description from Christ)/ Acts 21:4(Paul is warned through the spirit)/ Mark 13:11(Using the gift when the time comes)/ Joel 2:28-32 (Event before the second Advent)/ Matt. 24:14 (2 witnesses)/ 2nd Pet. 3:1-2/ Matt. 28: 1-20(The Holy Spirit)/ John 3:6/ Matt. 25:44-46 (the elect need to answer their calling)/ Luke 12:32/ Rev. 5:9-10(the elect) Rev. 7&14/ Rev.20:6/Rev.2:16(sword of truth)/ 2nd Tim. 3:16/ 2nd Pet. 1:21/Jer. (stand up)/ 2nd Thes. 2:8-12(sword of truth)/ Luke 21:15/John 6(symbolizim_spiritual) Acts 10:46/ John 14:6(God’s word is truth)/ John 8:32/ Ez.2:2

I dont know about yall but often times I like to study the documentation for my-self rather than be subjected to too much of ones personal view.(Proverbs 3:5)I think this type of format is good for those who enjoy studying and open their bibles.

Luke 12:10 (11&12)/THE unpardonable-*can only be committed during a certain time which has not come Yet! Only God’s elect can commit the unpardonable sin. This could only happen when they are delivered before the anti and it would be to refuse the Holy Spirit to speack through you. They know better. I doubt that any will ever commit such. Unpardonable and reason for the spirit of slumber:

Rev.22:18/Heb.10:26/ Mark 13:11? Matt. 10:19-20/ Matt. 12:32/Luke 12:47&48/2nd Peter 2:21/Rom.16:17-19/Jer.5:23-25/Rom 11:7&8/1st Cor. 3/1st Tim. 6:5/Prov. 12:15/ Pro. 3:1,5/Luke 10:25-37/Is. 29:10:13/Deu.29:3,4

The 2 witnesses come in The holy Spirit! They come not to be anyone’s doormats and  serve as a wake up call! Those that study the powers and actions to be expected of them know what I mean.(I have journal entries such as: The 2 witnesses, Rebuke, & Spiritual Discernment! 1st Advent-to bring the message of salvation into the world. The 2nd Advent- issues in LOUD a wake up call for The day (millennium) until the end of  the millennium in which all are judged!

Beware of traditions of man and it's effect on The Word in your walk! Matt.5:10&11 /Mark 7:13
Spiritual body & Flesh body-1st Cor 15:44
.2nd Peter2&3

Also evidence is in Is.40:22 when one realizes that we were told of the shape of the earth land before such became common knowledge. Also I have noticed one recently pointed out that the same verse exposes that the universe is expanding as did the Hubble recently. Don’t get me wrong. We know that evolution is a joke. The only evolution I study is Evolution of elevation. I don’t support the big bang theory. I see no need to, for I know all I need to on the subject and that is that there is but one^. Intelligent design!

Science is man’s best understanding, (rationalizations) or theories of God’s works! I do think that science points are close often times to the facts of the catabo(destruction), and what followed (the beginning of the second age). I will say that God describes the change between the ages of the dino's and this age (Ex. Jer.4:22-27). He also describes A Dino in JOb 40, that he created when we were created,(We were spiritual bodies(defacto? YES)  In the first age not physical like onto the dino's. He also describes his hand separating THE land mass and genitally moving them. All these thangs are evident in science! In due time, I will make another journal entry on the ages. I would also like to make one on the "KEY" and the depths it opens yet that maybe too much to hope to spoon feed others without that study or understanding here at bnet.Only certain people need to aquire that knowledge anyway. Everyone has their own gifts.If one seeks ask HIM^ to show you the way!
URock,    WILL   (WWW.ShepherdsChapel.com)
THE SOURCE!

We have documented The Word came from God (The Holy Spirit).It helps to have faith. That is the key that opens most doors!John 1:1/Rev. 4:11/ ******JOHN 1:3************All things were made by him; and without him was not anything made that was made.:
Notice the prophesies that come (came) to pass! Not to mention knowledge that has been given to us LONG before it became common knowledge.

To those that study the word on a regular basis, I suggest you get around to studying in the original languages and sources as much as possible. As far as an English source goes, The Companion Bible (KJV) is the most correct translation! (in my opinion!)

These are sources I support and use and tools of the trade and books I find enlightening and that I feel agree with (the Word of) truth!Unfortunately, you won’t find most in your public library! I can help others acquire these sources, For the most part!

America B.C.-Dr.Barry Fell/***Apocrypha-Edgar J. Goodspeed/***All That Remains-Robert L. Pyle/***Atlas of the Bible Lands-Hammond/***Biblical MathematicsEd F. Vallowe/***Celt, Druid & Culdee-J.H. Elder/***Compaion Bible -Kregel Pub./***Dan the Pioneers of Israel-Colonel J.C. Gawler/***Discovering God's Natural Truth- Phyllis McCullough Downing/***Discory of Acient America-David Deal/***Drama of the Lost Disciples-George F. Jowett/***Figures of Speech Used in the Bible-E. W. Bullinger/***Greek  Lexicon & Concordance NT-E.W. Bullinger/***Green's Interlinear NT-Baker Book House/***Green's Interlinear 4 volume OT & NT-Hendrickson/***How to Enjoy the Bible-E.W. Bullinger/***Incredible Cover-Up-Dave MacPherson/***Judah's Sceptre.Joseph's Birthright-J.H. Allen/***King James Bible-Be carefull some use the basic name with twists within the text!-Thomas Nelson/***Moffatt Bible-Kregel Pub./***North American Sun Kings-Joseph Mahan/***Number in Scripture-E.W. Bullinger/***One Man's Destiny-C.R. Dickey/***Rapture Plot-Dave MacPherson/***Sargon the Magnificent-Mrs. Sydney Bristowe/***Serenity New Testament-Thomas Nelson/***Smith's Bible Dictionary-Thomas Nelson/***St. Paul in Britain-R.W. Morgan/***Strange Parallel-Helene Kopajan/***Strong's Concordance-Hendrickson Pub./***Strong's ..-Thomas Nelson Pub./***Witness of the Stars-E.W. Bullinger{/***the Mosahrah(lock in code(with in writting) and not able to be touched by public/***The Torah/***The Dedakey/****The Greek Septuagint!}

Note-Bullinger was one of the few to ever have access to the Mosahrah!
Reasons for using a Strong's Exhaustive Concordance: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz13fWWu2o) 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsvoEkst-uY) 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRO1ykiruI) 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVMoG8oJhNE)  The Companion Bible: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huAMgYQIJg8) 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke-UV9V9PKo) 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdWM1EksbdQ)
Another link on info!
( (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50ifOxukevA) )
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2009 - 6:53AM #28
miami-ted
Hello Doodle,

Well, for my likes it's the NIV.  I have the KJV in my library but rarely use it.  As a Gideon I do 'church assignments' where we speak before a fellowship to report on the work that the Gideons have done and are doing and request an offering to supply Scripture for that work.  We are always advised to check with the fellowships before we do a service and see which version they regularly use and tailor our message to that version.   This is about the only time I will pull out my KJV is when I need to quote Scripture to a KJV fellowship.

I also have a fairly extensive library of translations and I do find that some are better than others in how they are worded, but I have yet to find any of the 'standard' translations that leave a soul with any doubt as to what God's purposes and plans for mankind and the salvation thereof are.  Anyway, I am more inclined to leave it to the power of God through His Holy Spirit to open the blinded eyes of those who can't see.  One should consider that Paul probably didn't record his message to every fellowship that he visited and so each time some of the words may have been different, but never was the message changed.  Similarly with any 'good' translation some of the words may be different but never is the message changed.

Do not be beholden to any law but that to love one another. 

God bless.
In Christ, Ted.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 22, 2009 - 11:56PM #29
smc93
The Jerusalem Bible is a great one.  I like the New English Bible as well.  It's good to compare the 17th century English of the Authorised Version with the 20th century English of the NEB; fascinating!  :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 23, 2009 - 12:42PM #30
Roodog

I use in worship what my Church uses although it is not my favorite. My Church uses the NIV.

My preference is the family of translations based on the American Standard Version: The ASV itself, The NASB, The 1973 edition of the RSV with the restored passages and the English Standard Version which is a conservative revision of the RSV. I like the New King James Version. These are more literal translations than the NIV which I trust more. I do tend to dislike the gender neutral revisions of otherwise good translations.

The King James Bible is a product of the Church of England which is catholic. It is a revision of the Bishops' Bible which Anglican scholars admitted was flawed. Conservative Protestants of that day, the Puritans and other Reformed Christians, first rejected this new Anglo-Catholic version sponsored by King James. (The Calvinists preferred the Geneva Bible which predated the KJV by fifty years. and pretty much clung to it throughout most of the Seventeenth Century. BTW the Geneva Bible is back in print with modern spelling of the word for word transcription of the 1566 and 1599 editions. )Furthermore we now use the 1769 revision of the KJV since the old 1611 is almost unreadable with it's archaic spelling.

In the contaversy over Bible Texts, the solution is to produce a fresh new translation of the same texts the KJV was based on.

Protestant tradition which includes Baptist tradition calls for the use of the vernacular in worship. We tend to reject a temple language like Latin in the Catholic Church. British English in general and King James English in particular is not the vernacular language in the United States. We have our own dialect. We need Bibles in our dialect.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook