Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Bible version do you prefer?
9 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2008 - 6:46PM #11
Doodlebug02
[QUOTE=smc93;521678]As versions of the Bible go, the Authorised Version (so-called KJV) is OK.  As it was done for a Jacobean age in England, it wasn't bad for them.  As soon as it came into print, however, it already had begun to be obsolete.  Language changes that fast.  No one living today would be able to make full sense of the Authorised Version without a 'translator's helps' booklet.

There is nothing sacrosanct about a particular version of the Bible in English.  No version is perfect; no version ever has been perfect; no version ever will be perfect.  This is simply a fact. [To say that an English version of the Bible is 'perfect' would entail all God's children learning English before 'properly' understanding the Bible-- this is ludicrous.  This is more akin to saying what our sisters and brothers in Islam say about the Qur'an:  it is only the Qur'an when it is Arabic.]

In fact, to hope for a 'perfect' Bible is a bit idolatrous.  God's word has been in existence, coming to God's people throughout all time and eternity... without the benefit of stylus and papyrus, ink and paper.  Putting stylus to papyrus and ink to paper actually has hindered and hampered the word of God-- the unwritten, oral word of God.  As humans, we have tended to put our trust in a book rather than in our God, rather than in Christ, God's only Word.

Any and all versions are only as good as when they point us toward the Lord in Whom we have faith-- to  'have faith' in a version of the Bible is to be guilty of what the Bible would deem a grave sin.

I trust this is helpful to us all.  bless,  s

p.s. my favorites are the NRSV and RSV!  :-)[/QUOTE]

So then you do not trust the Lord at His word?

Psalms 12:6 KJV  The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Psalms 12:7 KJV  Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2008 - 3:06AM #12
Katep1313
The New Oxford Annotated Bible with The Apocrypha  Expanded Edition
"And why would you even
Shake a man's hand
If you're not going
To help him stand"  Ben Harper
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 5:14PM #13
noseington
The Thomas Jefferson Version.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2008 - 8:11PM #14
davelaw40

noseington wrote:

The Thomas Jefferson Version.

thats not  a baptist response lol

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2008 - 11:35PM #15
Wilted_Rose63
I was brought up in the catholic school and church, we didn't study the bible.  We studied Doctrine.  I think the priests and nuns didn't encourage  people to read the bible because they  would gain too much of the "truth." When I bought my first bible it was the NIV and I read it from front to back.  I was so enchanted by it, I couldn't put it  down.  This transformation is a result of meeting my best friend, "sister" who was brought up on the bible. She would quote from it and I'd ask her where she got that and she  told me from the bible. So I got curious    and went and bought my own. And "the rest is history" as they say.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2008 - 6:31PM #16
Sara2008sara
My favourite version is the NJB ...  I know most people don't share that opinion
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 05, 2008 - 10:45PM #17
Mostyn32
My favourite version is the NRSV and I also like the NJB and the NRIV.

Doodlebug, the KJV is not the truest translation at all! In fact it is a very flawed translation, designed for use in the Church of England. The language is indeed beautiful but it is archaic and unless you have a thorough working knowledge of 16th/17th century English  (which I doubt) it is not intelligible to 21st century readers.  Nor did God write it - it was compiled by some 52 or 53 men working in eleven different committees! One of the underlying reasons for the compilation of the original KJV was the wacky notion of the Divine Right of Kings promulgated by James I/VI ! The other reason for the original KJV was to suppress Puritanism in the Church of England, which is why it always amuses me that the KJV - a thoroughly Anglican document - has its greatest support in  the more conservative wing of the church universal!

Note to Davelaw:  James I/VI homosexuality wasn't latent at all - he had more than one 'beautiful boy' (as he called them) on stand by at all times!  His chief favourites were Robert Carr and George Villiers.
"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 5:49PM #18
JenellY
Excellent response! No, there is no 'divinely inspried' or sanctioned English translation. That said, I do love the beauty of launguage in the KJV, which i was raised with. but my preferred study bible is NRSV, followed by RSV. but i also have and use for comparison purposes during study the ASV, NJKV, as well as a few somewhat 'archaiac' versons I sometimes cross reference to, such as the Geneva bible. I have also taken some courses in basic classic and biblical Greek, and in serious study, will often use both a variety of english versions, while also examining Greek versions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 5:49PM #19
JenellY
Excellent response! No, there is no 'divinely inspried' or sanctioned English translation. That said, I do love the beauty of launguage in the KJV, which i was raised with. but my preferred study bible is NRSV, followed by RSV. but i also have and use for comparison purposes during study the ASV, NJKV, as well as a few somewhat 'archaiac' versons I sometimes cross reference to, such as the Geneva bible. I have also taken some courses in basic classic and biblical Greek, and in serious study, will often use both a variety of english versions, while also examining Greek versions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2008 - 2:16PM #20
Brobrooz1
I use the NKJV as my 'main Bible', and then in study have various versions, and study editions in my Library.
i like to compare versions, study notes, and commentaries to get  well rounded information. Add prayer, and come up with thots on passages' meanings.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook