Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What Bible version do you prefer?
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 5:05AM #1
Doodlebug02
What do you Bible version do you prefer?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 5:08AM #2
Doodlebug02
I prefer the KJV and believe that it is the only uncorrupted Bible version in English.  Here is a website explaining why I believe this:

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/superiority.htm
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 11:19AM #3
mom-6
I actually have several 'favorites' for various reasons, but the one I use most often is the NIV. 

If I am going to be studying, I use a parallel version that has KJV, NIV, NASV, and Amplified , which just coincidentally happen to be all my favorites!

For the beauty of the language, especially in the Psalms, I definitely prefer KJV.
For general use, ease of understanding, etc. I like the NIV.
For scholarly literal rendering, there's the NASV.
And for more options to how a passage could be translated, there's the Amplified.

My take on it is that the more different translations that you use, the closer you are likely to get to the original meaning, as any time you go from one language to another you get some variations.

Also the more recent translations have access to more older manuscripts, which should be a benefit.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 11:53PM #4
Weeping_Willow1526
I agree with you on the KJV. That is my favourite as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 10:39AM #5
davelaw40
I like the KJV its what i grew up with; its the version i learned all my memory verses in and i do believe the original MS for the NT was closer to the Textus Receptus than any other version; i disagree that the version made for a crypto-catholic king who was also a latent homosexual where the translators specifically chose words to flatter their king and condemn the previous monarch-is the only uncorrupted version in English.
Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 4:06PM #6
smc93
[QUOTE=Doodlebug02;518648]I prefer the KJV and believe that it is the only uncorrupted Bible version in English.  Here is a website explaining why I believe this:

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/superiority.htm[/QUOTE]

As versions of the Bible go, the Authorised Version (so-called KJV) is OK.  As it was done for a Jacobean age in England, it wasn't bad for them.  As soon as it came into print, however, it already had begun to be obsolete.  Language changes that fast.  No one living today would be able to make full sense of the Authorised Version without a 'translator's helps' booklet.

There is nothing sacrosanct about a particular version of the Bible in English.  No version is perfect; no version ever has been perfect; no version ever will be perfect.  This is simply a fact. [To say that an English version of the Bible is 'perfect' would entail all God's children learning English before 'properly' understanding the Bible-- this is ludicrous.  This is more akin to saying what our sisters and brothers in Islam say about the Qur'an:  it is only the Qur'an when it is Arabic.]

In fact, to hope for a 'perfect' Bible is a bit idolatrous.  God's word has been in existence, coming to God's people throughout all time and eternity... without the benefit of stylus and papyrus, ink and paper.  Putting stylus to papyrus and ink to paper actually has hindered and hampered the word of God-- the unwritten, oral word of God.  As humans, we have tended to put our trust in a book rather than in our God, rather than in Christ, God's only Word.

Any and all versions are only as good as when they point us toward the Lord in Whom we have faith-- to  'have faith' in a version of the Bible is to be guilty of what the Bible would deem a grave sin.

I trust this is helpful to us all.  bless,  s

p.s. my favorites are the NRSV and RSV!  :-)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 24, 2008 - 4:15PM #7
smc93
[QUOTE=davelaw40;521005]I like the KJV its what i grew up with; its the version i learned all my memory verses in and i do believe the original MS for the NT was closer to the Textus Receptus than any other version; i disagree that the version made for a crypto-catholic king who was also a latent homosexual where the translators specifically chose words to flatter their king and condemn the previous monarch-is the only uncorrupted version in English.[/QUOTE]

Hi dave,

I grew up doing Sword Drills with the Authorised Version as well.  I can still quite sizable portions in Jacobean English!

And also be remiss if I didn't say that the manuscripts which have come to light since 1611 have helped translators immensely with their task of giving good versions to the world since King Jamie. 

Good to see you.  s
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 28, 2008 - 3:53AM #8
URK(S.B.)
I feel that the Companion Bible (KJV) is the most correct translation to English.If any here use this bible please let me know on my profile!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2008 - 8:00PM #9
svanscoy
I use as many different translations as i can find - i think a broad approach prevents undue bias on either my part or the inherently flawed translators... certainly i have favorites - TNIV (i think God meant to include us girls in the audience) - NRSV (love the poetry) - NASB (my personal study of Greek - its the most accurate word-for-word)... though as SMC says so well, there ain't no perfect translation - many of the words in Greek just don't translate well to English - just the concepts do, thus the whole dynamic equivalents deal...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 19, 2008 - 12:34PM #10
candicechenault
I  use  different  versions as well. I use the NIV at home & take the KJV  with me to service sinc our Pastor
uses that version. I also have attended in the past other denominations & picked up bibles from there.
For instance I have the NWT (New World Translation) from the Jehovah's Witnesses,  even though I was never a baptized witness I do believe Gods word thrives in that bible version as well, and this is a choice between myself & God because not only do I understand the language, being English, but it is easier to read then the KJV.
I also like going to the public library & reading study bibles from there like the Jeruselem bible, the catholic bible, all it does is expand your mind to see Gods word in other parts of this Earth.It doesn't mean you support the church doctrine itself.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook