Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How NARROW should a denomination be?
7 years ago  ::  May 21, 2008 - 7:09PM #1
laughingpastor
Is the point of being a denomination to create clones?  How narrow should a denomination be?  How narrow was the company Jesus kept?  Is narrow thinking, narrow loving, narrow living our God given calling?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 22, 2008 - 8:36AM #2
petofi
[QUOTE=laughingpastor;515457]Is the point of being a denomination to create clones?  How narrow should a denomination be?  How narrow was the company Jesus kept?  Is narrow thinking, narrow loving, narrow living our God given calling?[/QUOTE]

It can be as narrow as one wants it to be.  Especially if one believes that theology has remained static since the 16th century.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 12:25PM #3
CalKnox
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. [Jude 3]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 27, 2008 - 9:32AM #4
laughingpastor
A new song for Cally....opps I know you prefer Cal.  A new song for Cal.

"Shallow and narrow....
Shallow and narrow....
there's a fountain flowing shallow and narrow!"

Join in boys and girls.  Today we are talking about God's really shallow water.  There's not enough room for everyone in God's Kingdom so sing with ferver so that you might be one of the lucky ones to get through the narrow gate!

Really?  You think dear ole Jude is earnestly contending to drain the fountain of God's grace?  To earnestly contend for faith once delivered must be done in the parameters of your interpretation of what Scripture mandates?  Hmmmm.  Really?

Really?  Are you suggesting that the members who happen to serve in the corner of Christ's chruch known as the PCUSA are not earnest in contending the faith?  I know you haven't mentioned the PCUSA here.....but you do everywhere else and you will eventually....so I ask!

Really? Is that your picture shooting a gun?  Were you driving by the local PCUSA church when you were firing it?

Really?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 27, 2008 - 2:33PM #5
jedithom
"But this was very displeasing to Jonah, and he became angry.  He prayed to the Lord and said, 'O Lord!  Is not this what I said while I was still in my own country?  That is why I fled to Tarshish at the beginning; for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love, and ready to relent from punishing.  And now, O Lord, please take my life from me, for it is better for me to die than to live.'  And the Lord said, 'Is it right for you to be angry?'"  - Jonah 4:1-4
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 12:36PM #6
Merrill48
[QUOTE=laughingpastor;515457]Is the point of being a denomination to create clones?  How narrow should a denomination be?  How narrow was the company Jesus kept?  Is narrow thinking, narrow loving, narrow living our God given calling?[/QUOTE]

My answer - as un-narrow as possible! Jesus's initial followers, as I understand it, tended to be what we today would call working-class, or even poor. And how can you square a narrow church with Paul's statement that in the church there is neither Jew nor Greek, etc.? IMHO you can't!

As Tony Campolo (the only evangelist I'll admit to listening to) says - For a true Christian, life's a party, Jesus is the host, and ALL are invited!

Shalom,
Merrill
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 1:54PM #7
CalKnox
[QUOTE=Merrill48;531011] For a true Christian, life's a party, Jesus is the host, and ALL are invited![/QUOTE]

Jesus said:

"...many are called, but few are chosen." [Matthew 22:14]
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 29, 2008 - 8:11PM #8
laughingpastor
Rom 11:32      
For God has consigned all people  to disobedience, that God may have mercy upon all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2008 - 12:28AM #9
greenponder
[QUOTE=petofi;516545]It can be as narrow as one wants it to be.  Especially if one believes that theology has remained static since the 16th century.[/QUOTE]
What would you consider the positive changes in theology to be since the 16th century?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2008 - 6:51PM #10
petofi
[QUOTE=greenponder;536482]What would you consider the positive changes in theology to be since the 16th century?[/QUOTE]

Karl Barth, Dietrich Bonhoeffer,Wolfhart Pannenberg, Teilhard de Chardin, Emil Brunner, Reinhold Niebuhr, Paul Tillich, and Hans Kung, to name but a few.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook