Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
2 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 7:53AM #31
Jupiter6208

Personally i would recommend this book i learned alot about the Church from it.

www.amazon.com/Your-Faith-Life-Invitatio...

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 8:37AM #32
Dutch777

Re: the title "Protestant Episcopal Church" ---

"Episcopal" indicates that our governance is per bishops.

"Protestant" indicates that we're not connected to the Vatican or the RCC.

We are a "bridge" church between Rome and Geneva and incorporate the ancient liturgies and doctrines of the early Church.  We also incorporate insights and reforms of the 16th. century and continually respond positively to new learnings and understandings as they emerge.  Thus, we are Not at war with contemporary,  established knowledge and the various sciences.

The Path to Moon Lake
doesn't go there.
So walk your own Dharma*Path;
be mindful.

Dutch
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 11:16PM #33
Rhartsc

Apr 21, 2012 -- 7:53AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

The book looks very interesting. I plan on attending a TEC parish tomorrow. When I get home I will sit down and order a copy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 11:17PM #34
Rhartsc

Apr 21, 2012 -- 8:37AM, Dutch777 wrote:

Re: the title "Protestant Episcopal Church" ---

"Episcopal" indicates that our governance is per bishops.

"Protestant" indicates that we're not connected to the Vatican or the RCC.

We are a "bridge" church between Rome and Geneva and incorporate the ancient liturgies and doctrines of the early Church.  We also incorporate insights and reforms of the 16th. century and continually respond positively to new learnings and understandings as they emerge.  Thus, we are Not at war with contemporary,  established knowledge and the various sciences.

Thanks for the excellent explanation. I think I am getting it. I have a lot to learn.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 21, 2012 - 11:38PM #35
Jupiter6208

Apr 21, 2012 -- 11:16PM, Rhartsc wrote:

Apr 21, 2012 -- 7:53AM, Jupiter6208 wrote:

The book looks very interesting. I plan on attending a TEC parish tomorrow. When I get home I will sit down and order a copy. Thanks for the suggestion.

Your very welcome! i hope it helps.

"A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person."  Dave Berry

You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger. Buddha.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 1:31PM #36
Rhartsc

My wife and I just got back from our first service at a TEC parish and it was a wonderful experience! We definitely plan on going back and learning more about the Episcopal Church. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 9:38PM #37
slate

Regarding the question of whether or not we are Protestants, I want to give this little story:

When my husband was in the military, we were stationed at an Air Force Base in Texas.  When I entered the hospital for the birth of my son, I was given a form to complete.  One item on the form was related to religion- Catholic, Protestant , Jewish or other. I checked "other" and wrote in "Episcopalian".  As a result, one week later when I was home nursing my infant son , the doorbell rang and there stood a lovely young woman who invited me to St. John Episcopal Church,near the base, which I  began attending as soon as I was able!

Yes, indeed, I do not consider myself to be a Protestant at all.  It was the Catholic aspect of the church which led me to it. I am still learning new things every day. For example, I was aware that some of the people in my parish believed in the Real Presence, but I did not know it was so widespread until I read this thread.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2012 - 1:20PM #38
adams87

May 15, 2008 -- 2:31PM, bvarnell wrote:

would any one here describe themself as Anglo-Catholic? What beliefs do you have that makes you Catholic?

I think the important part of being "catholic" is believing in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist (it's not just symbolic), believing in the grace of the sacraments, believing in the creeds of the undivided Church and the ecumenical councils of the Church, as well as reading and studying early Church fathers.

That being said, I consider myself Anglo-Catholic. I value the mystics of the Church as well as its sacramental theology. If the Church ever abandoned the idea of the real presence in the Eucharist, I'd have trouble remaining in its Communion; also, in response to another threat, I believe the idea of allowing non-Christians to partake of the Eucharist is the wrong thing to do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook