6 years ago  ::  May 10, 2008 - 12:26PM #1
Spirit-Wind
Vanessa's sit-com thread encouraged me to post this. 

I'm currently in a CPE residency.  This week I brought to my group a game in which we use creative questions to think about our faith traditions.  While creating this game, I came up with this:

Think of all Christian traditions (denoms) as individual members of one family.  You go to a large family reunion.  Which "family member" are you (your tradition)?  (i.e. the know-it-all aunt, the drunk uncle, the fussy nephew....)

For DOC, I picked the college freshman with a semester of Intro to Philosophy under the belt.   You know the one.  The 19 year old who thinks that their parents are unelightened dupes.

Your turn.  Which "family member" is DOC at the ecumenical family reunion?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 10, 2008 - 9:23PM #2
Vanessa86
My gut reaction is that DoC would be the sister or never-married aunt with the liberal arts education who volunteers with Habitat for Humanity on one of her weeks of vacation from her job as a diplomat. She wants everyone to get along and never quite understands why some of the other family members rebuff or fight with the others over, to extend the metaphor, whether the potato salad should be made with mayonnaise or vinegar, and Yukon golds or new potatoes. Her feeling: "We're all family here, even if we disagree on how the potato salad should be made. Why not have all kinds, let everyone enjoy the kind they like, and quit arguing about the details so we can focus on the big picture?"

Of course, I have just described myself, if I were single and had a cool job as a diplomat and had volunteered with Habitat more than once. But I do see our church as pretty cerebral and tolerant and wanting to connect with others in a big warm ecumenical family.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook